SPECIAL: October 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eitarou
  • 1 Post By Isaac Gravity

Thread: October 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default October 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

It's October...in Japan. And other places, but whatever. While we wait for X and Y, we can enjoy the final B2W2 chapter for Pokemon Fan.

It features the return of a character we haven't seen in ages!

Autumnbreeze likes this.

"Can I say I'm back?" Autumnbreeze's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Autumnbreeze on Tumblr

Default Re: October 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Oh hey there practically everyone except Black. Even the assistant director is there. So I guess that answers what happened to White!

"So it was President White after all!"
    -tumblr- -fanfiction- -dreams-

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rage, rage everywhere.

Oh and...

Shipping, Shipping everywhere.

Was that WHite in the top of the last scan?

"Can I say I'm back?" Autumnbreeze's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Autumnbreeze on Tumblr

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's White! And also now that you say that...

"So it was President White after all!"
    -tumblr- -fanfiction- -dreams-

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Yeah, it's White. She's come by Pokewood to pick up Barbara, the Vulchai that she apparently dropped off at the movie studio at some point.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Here's the summary from Coronis.

Blog Entries

Eh, this just sounds like a cobbled-together plot for nothing but showing off things from the games, with some minor plot advancement almost as an afterthought. For B2W2's last magazine chapter, it's rather lame.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Meet X and Y (temp names until their real names are confirmed)

XY chapter starts in CoroCoro Ichiban, out on the 21st.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn, don't they look cool~

Blog Entries

X and Y has begun. I don't have pictures yet, but I will post once they are available.

Here is the usual summary from Coronis.

And so the XY PokeSpecial series commences, and I have to say the first two chapters totally rocked, starting at a pace much quicker than I could imagine! It's split into 2 chapters.

Some of my English names may be off as I'm playing both versions and I sometimes mix up their names

===================

Story begins with a flash back few years ago at the Kalos Junior Tournament, where young X (the male protagonist) claims championship with his Kangaskhan. We see the same Announcer who appeared in previous regions. His friends, including Shauna, Tierno, Trevor and Y (the female protagonist) congratulate him, and the press goes crazy surrounding the kids, wondering if X would grow up to be a Gymleader or even Elite 4 someday...

The time skips to few years later. At Vaniville Town, Trevor stands outside the doorway of X's house with his Flabebe and looks sad. Apparently, something happened in the few years in between, and X only locks himself up inside his room now. A Sky Trainer enters the scene, landing on the balcony outside X's window, and reveals herself to be Y, who has a Fletchling. Y does her daily routine trying to get X to leave his room, and at this moment, Shauna (with her Furfrow ad Skitty) as well as Tierno (with his Corphish) appear. Shauna is sure that it will end up violent again, and Y protests at her prediction. She starts showing new discoveries she found including the PokePuff and the Super Training, but X remains uninterested and it finally ticks off Y (apparently, as usual on a daily basis). She starts kicking at his window like mad and Shauna says she told them so (she refers to him as Eh-P: Eh as in the initial of Ex, and P as the nickname she gives you in the game).

Tierno wonders why Shauna is still coming daily if she is so pessimistic, and Shauna sighs that deep inside she hopes that their group of five can be as before again, which is the same reason the 4 of them come to X's house everyday trying to cheer him up despite being busy with their own stuff, Trevor trying to be a scholar, Tierno himself trying to be dancer, and Shauna aspiring to be a expert in trimming Furfrow's fur. Y has already made progress in achieving her dream as a Sky Trainer, and at that momoment, X's Kangaskhan appears, and apparently Tierno has made sure it gets fed all this time. Kangaskhan looks sad, but Tierno knows that the baby Kangaskhan is most sad. Trevor recalls the Tournament, and how X's Kangaskhan skilfully dodged every single of Noivern's attacks. It turned out that even baby Kangaskhan was doing the fencing, and everyone at the Tournament was amazed that X managed to train up little Kangaskhan as well. Back to the present, Shauna could see how a trainer affects his Pokemon, because apparently, a baby Kangakhan will leave its mother to grow up after 3 years, but X's hasn't, likely due to it being plagued by the same reason X is.

Y falls to her knees feeling defeated, and wonders if X is ok feeling secluded this way. X replies that he doesn't feel lonely, and says it is better this way, without the public's eye on him, without fame, without people judging and also saying mean things. Y encourages him to think differently, and states that a trainer's worth lies in himself and shouldn't be changed by what others say. However, X seems to have made up his mind, and refuses to be a Pokemon Trainer again.

Suddenly, Y hears the sound of a shutter, and turns to see Alexa and Viola, who are there to videotape her, the aspiring new Sky Trainer. They refer to her as Y.Na.Gaabena (I haven't figured out a proper translation yet, should be some French surname?), and they mention that she used to be a Rhyhorn racer, which makes them wonder why she is switching from land to sky. Y seems very antagonistic towards the two however, and reveals that she hates the press and the paparazzi because it is the reason why her good friend is depressed.

Trevor gets a Holo Cast message from Prof. Sycamore at the moment, and rushes to his home to pick up the package containing the three starters and Pokedex. However, after happily picking up the package, the scene right next to his home terrifies him. Out of nowhere, the legendary Xerneas and Yveltal appear, and start clashing with one another, causing a big explosion that starts destroying the town. As the town people start to flee, Y bangs on X's window and tells him that something bad is really happening this time, urging him to come out. However, X remains oblivious to everything, and simply sits in the darkness of his room, the only source of light from the Mega Ring on his wrist...

------------------------------------

Chapter 2 continues with the unexpected clash between the 2 legendary Pokemon at Vaniville. X finally peeks out of the window, and is astonished by what he saw. However, as soon as he spots the camera in Viola's hand, he retreats again and says he will not come out as long as there is paparazzi around. Viola wonders if the two are Pokemon, and Alexa says she isn't sure either, but according to a story dating 3000 years back in Kalos, Xerneas and Yveltal are two legendary Pokemon that appear once every 1000 years. Trevor narrowly escapes a fallen boulder, and Y whistles to her Rhyhorn to gather her friends. Unfortunately, another blast causes 1 set of stater and Dex to fall out from Trevor's hands, also blasting off Shauna's Furfrow. Y tells Rhyhorn to bring everyone to safety while she goes back for X again.

Team Flare (its 5 Scientists) are seen watching the battle from a distance, and apparently the legendaries are what they seek. However, they aren't taking action yet because Xerosic (with Malamar) knows that they have no way to control either of these Pokemon yet. Team A makes up of Celosia (Manectric) and Bryony (Liepard), and Team B makes up of Aliana (female Pyroar) and Mable (Houndoom). Team B apparently is going after the Mega Ring of X, and soon, with the powers of Pyroar, they have X dragged out and cornered (I think they burned down his house). Y arrives to intervene, but is knocked against the wall by Houndoom. Just when Houndoom is about to finish her off with its deadly flames, X's Kangaskhan (which he nicknames Garu) cuts in to knock down Houndoom, but Pyroar and Houndoom combined their flames and Garu blocks itself in front of X to protect him, taking the hit directly from behind. X is pained by what is going on, and when the Scientists spot his Mega Ring, they order Pyroar over to snatch it. Pyroar drags X by the collar, and while both X and Garu are in distress, baby Kangaskhan gets angry and reacts with the Mega Ring, activating the Mega form and allowing it to jump out from the pouch to attack. It easily finishes off Houndoom and Pyroar, and Mable and Aliana are left with no choice but to retreat. Meanwhile, Team A continues monitoring the legendary clash, and Xerosic receives a call from someone, who mentions something about a 'thousand-war will take place as long as the two continue to fight', and that the fact remains that they will need the legendary Pokemon to power up their 'ultimate weapon'.

Some time later, in a rubbled Vaniville Town, Y drags X to meet with the other three. Shauna is crying because Furfrow has been blown away during the explosion, and Trevor also mentions how one set of starter/dex is gone. Tierno's favourite dance school is also demolished. Tierno wonders what they should do now, and Shauna is determined to set out and find Furfrow, Trevor wanting to get in touch with Sycamore about the event and the lost starter/dex (his Holo Caster was also broken during the clash), and Y wanting to explore more at about Team Flare who attacked X. X is apparently still not interested, but Y states that he has no choice because his house is destroyed now. She tears his pajamas off him to change him into his clothes, and changes herself into the formal clothes as well.

And so, the 5 childhood friends begin to set out on their journey, once again as a group...

========================

Lots of things in just the 2 first chapters and who knew even Xerneas and Yveltal already make an appearance! I'm getting a B2W2 vibe from these chapters, which means Kusaka will spend less time 'featuring' and 'explaining' what a Pokemon fan already knows and actually uses them relevantly in the plot.

I guess one starter will be saved for the Z character then since it's lost. A bit overwhelmed now.

Will update with pics soon.

Coronis~

Pictures have been acquired.

Last edited by Eitarou; 19th October 2013 at 03:22 AM.

*whistles* The X & Y storyline begins with a bang. I also like the direction they went with the characters. Particularly Shauna's.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2837 9558 6665. Player Name: Valens

3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette

I was hoping the X would not end up like Ruby, but this is close enough that I'm okay with this. I wonder what happened to make him this way?

Blog Entries

:Gets several latest english volumes
    :Enjoys thoroughly
    :Sees thread title and clicks on it
    :Sees everyone pining over crude Japanese scans that won't be available in english for a while
    :Turns around and leaves

Is there a thread for the latest english volumes anywhere?

:Sees everyone pining over crude Japanese scans that won't be available in english for a while
    That's a bit of a mouthful in terms of empty generalizations, don't you think?
    Last edited by Isaac Gravity; 14th November 2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: error
    FANG-TAN likes this.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2837 9558 6665. Player Name: Valens

3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette