DPA 8 Review Thread! FINAL VOLUME!

Thread: DPA 8 Review Thread! FINAL VOLUME!

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default DPA 8 Review Thread! FINAL VOLUME!

I got my mitts on it a day in advance and let me tell you it's a wonderful ending. THERE ARE GOING TO BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD SO DON'T COME WHINING TO ME.

Don't forget this!

This volume has one of the few paint edits in the entire series, and I think it's the only one that's not related to how text lays out. Page 50 when B-2 says "Let's go!" while bending over all weirdly...well, in the original, there was a Stunky sniffing his butt. Here there's no Stunky.

There's another paint edit on page 167 but it's because in the original, the text was laid over Saturn's face. I'm not sure if Ihara did a full shot and then put the text over it or if Viz had to make up a face for him, but either way he looks pretty silly.

Anyway, as said this is a wonderful ending. I love the way things are resolved, and the exploration into pokemon psychology regarding how battling is important. And the part where Cyrus tells Mitsumi that her future was with her friends...oh man I cried. It was a really beautiful moment, and one that gains a degree of sadness when you realize that all Hareta really did differently from the game protagonists was tell Cyrus "I don't hate you."

However, I have some questions.

-What happened to the Galactic grunts that were last seen strewn about the Distortion World? Are we just supposed to assume that they got pulled out like the unconcious pokemon that our heroes have? Koya did say that their pokemon were "gone" after they came back out only we see three of them later (Hareta's Empoleon and Luxray and Jun's Dragonite) so it's safe to assume that Koya's Mamoswine is also back in the normal world...but do we make the same assumption with the grunts?

-So...who won the tournament?

-What happened to Cyrus's fixation on Hareta? For that matter, what happened to Cyrus's POKEMON? The last time we saw him with one was volume THREE. It's implied in volume 5 that he has them with him, but he doesn't use them.

-I question how Koya intents to arrest Charon in the Distortion World when it's clearly outside his jurisdiction. I don't think the International Police cover alternate dimensions.

-So does Kaisei have some sort of mental developmental issue or something? His incredibly immature ten year old son is more mature than he is, and seems to have a better concept of compassion and friendship as well. Kaisei's idea of such things seems to be based in "if you love something, let it go". Which includes his son, considering this is the third time he's abandoned the kid.

-So how long was Perry Looker going to hang out at Stark Mountain on the chance that Charon would come back?

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DPA 8 Review Thread! FINAL VOLUME!

I'm really excited to read this, though unfortunately the owner of the comic shop near me forgot to order it! (I did make him order it late, though, so I should get it sometime next week or the week after. I'd just get it somewhere else but I like supporting local businesses and all that nice stuff :V)

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Would it be possible to post a scan of the edited panel of Stunky?

I find it interesting that Viz would edit that out but leave in some of the other stuff.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

I got this on Tuesday, and read it in the bookstore while waiting to meet Brandon Sanderson. It was a pretty satisfying ending, even if I'm sad that there's no more. Hareta's a lovable goof as always, I think my favorite part was him deciding to fight on giratina's side at the end. It really just summed him up perfectly.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

Blog Entries

Here's the two panels. It's a pretty good edit, art-wise. I wouldn't have known anything was missing if I didn't have the Japanese volume. It's in his character to pose with his rear like that.

However, it's baffling why it was changed to begin with, considering the first volume had Man Getting Hit By Pokeball. Maybe because they couldn't take that out as easily as this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails k2compare.png  

Avatar of Shadows Lucifer Angel's Avatar

I'm really behind on this series.

"I dwell within the shadows of darkness"

Blog Entries

Where are you at in it?

I don't know if this was mentioned, but on one page Jupiter and B-2's speech bubbles are switched. Other than that, this was a great volume! The series ended on an awesome note!
    Ummm, you read my post. Cookie for you
    [url="http://www.eonlightvalley.com/pquiz.php"][img]

Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

Oh, yeah; my friend got it recently. I'll need to remember to steal borrow it sometime ^_^
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

Blog Entries

I kinda wish the series wasn't so rushed with the Gym Leaders. The Author could've explored their characters and create other Team Galactic stories.

Blog Entries

Ihara has a history of skipping important characters. His Battle Frontier comic left out some Brains entirely.

Although I wanted to see him put the Rotom diary into this. As it stands, he did a really good job on picking up on that Cyrus, for all the evilness of his actions and his extremism, was still in it for a twisted variety of greater good, and that Charon, who in the games is relatively mild compared to the others, is only in it for his own greed. But it would have been interesting to see even Charon's human side brought out. Even if he's not the diary kid, he wrote the research notebook, and even that seems to have some fondness for Rotom.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Ihara has a history of skipping important characters. His Battle Frontier comic left out some Brains entirely.
    Just wish he didn't.

Blog Entries

Well yes, that would be nice. I wish this series was longer in general, too. Leaving out Volkner kinda makes sense given that you don't fight him until after the Galactic plot, which is the primary focus (also Volkner is an antisocial dick and probably wouldn't go with the other GLs anyway since he's too busy turning all the electricity off in Sunyshore), but the rest of the GLs are right there the whole time.