SPECIAL: August 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Thread: August 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default August 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Stuff happens. Not exactly sure what.

Just picked up the magazine. Genesect appears, and while Looker thinks that it is some kind of unidentified flying object of Team Plasma, Rakutsu reveals it to be a Pokemon. It turns out that when Rakutsu first took on the task to catch Team Plasma, he has gone through extensive research. He stumbled upon the P2 Lab, and found partially destroyed documents about Genesect, which mentioned something about a cannon. Genesect attacks (quite violently as it swoops into Looker and caused him to cough out blood afterwards), and Rakutsu jumps onto its back. He attempts to lure it to use its cannon (which he is unable to recognize at this point).

This is where the chapter gets interesting. Rakutsu used Gadget 13, called Record Bubble, which is the exact same thing that Blue used during the Yellow chapter to pass on messages via bubbles. Rakutsu tells Dewott to fire both of its scalchops at the same time to irritate Genesect, and eventually Genesect opens up its cannon to blast down one of the scalchops. Rakutsu tells Looker to evacuate the crowd, and goes to an abandoned building which he believed the enemy is located. Indeed, he finds Colress there, who is astonished that Rakutsu manages to locate him. Rakutsu reveals that he observed the area which Genesect was moving, and rationalized that whoever was controlling it must be doing it within a certain radar distance. His scalchop strategy was exactly for the purpose to scout the area which Genesect would cover. Looker identifies Colress as the Hoodman, who is on the wanted list of the International Police, and they named him the dark scientist, because he conducts unauthorized tests on Pokemon.

Colress compliments Rakutsu's wit, but activates Gensect's Techno Blast and hits him directly. Fortunately, Rakutsu's jump suit protects him and he plans to capture Genesect. Looker is confused as it is Colress's Pokemon, but Rakutsu points out that Colress is merely controlling it via a device and it appears that Genesect is still a wild Pokemon. He contacts the Magician, who delivers his custom hand-fit Pokeballs to him by Corphish...

=================================

I still find it a bit of a stretch to have Rakutsu survive Techno Blast. His jumpsuit doesn't cover his face.

But I am intrigued by the Record Bubble. Given the timeline, I wonder if it is possible that Blue is actually part of the Interational Police force. She used to create many gadgets for herself in the first few chapters. Could she be the designer of all the International Police Gadgets? Would be interesting if Blue is actually a superior to Looker as well

P.S. actually, I just remembered in the previous chapter, when Looker contacted his headquarters to ask about Rakutsu, the person who spoke to Looker described Rakutsu as 'Mr. Perfect', who has perfect ways to woo girls. While the talking style is difficult to identify, given the context and use of words, I do wonder if it is possible that Blue was the head office superior that Looker was talking to all this time. Just a thought.

Coronis~
    Last edited by Eitarou; 21st August 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Default Re: August 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Man, things are getting very interesting. I just don't think Rakutsu is going to be able to capture Genesect, not right now that is.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

So Will Rakutsu catch Genesect or Not ?
    Well Dia & Black caught a Legendary Pokemon So Rakutsu might too !
    Who know , Later X might catch a Legendary Pokemon well in XY chapter !!!
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 22nd August 2013 at 05:22 AM.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

It would be interesting if Blue ends up turning out to be Looker's superior, it would mean a lot in terms of character developtment for her considering who she originally was, though in a way it's also matching.

I just found out about the BW2 arc a few weeks ago but I'm actually enjoying what I've seen so far, I like the fact that they're expanding upon the International Police more and definitely like that they included Rakutsu as a part of it, it gives it that feel of originality that always separated Special from the games.