Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Where English people disagree over whose language is best

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Default Re: Where English people disagree over whose language is best

Quote Originally Posted by Dialgarules View Post
    If you're from Asia and you hear English from Hong Kong or Singapore broadcasts, the speech is likely to be primarily influenced by British English. Canadian and U.S. spoken accents are difficult to distinguish even to Americans and Canadians. Canadian English uses mostly British spelling, such as colour (not color), favourite (not favorite), and centre (not center); but mostly American vocabulary like truck (instead of lorry), gas (not petrol), elevator (not lift), etc. Australian and New Zealand English are pretty easily distinguishable from British; they use British spellings and vocabulary but have many pronunciation differences. It's probably easier to distinguish the different native English accents if you yourself are a native speaker.
    Considering that Hong Kong and Singapore were both British colonies, British spelling would be expected. Anyways, I can actually differentiate the American, European, and Australian accents. It's just the dialects within the countries that are harder to distinguish. Although there should be some noticeable differences for different parts of America due to the distances, I never had the experience to talk to Americans (and Canadians), so what I know is mostly based on American media. Also, due to American influence in the country I live in, I mostly use American spelling as well.

Typical Conversation when meeting people in Australia:
    A: "Hi, where are you from?"
    Me: "I'm from America."
    A: "I know that."

What I want to say: "THEN WHY DID YOU ASK?"

I honestly don't care what your English accent is as long as I can understand you. Most of the teachers here don't care, except for one, who gets upset whenever I write in American English during exercises in class. I use British spelling per her policy in assignments, but really, I grew up with one system for 21 years and you expect me to just forget it when we have to 5 minute exercises? DX

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I have no opinion on which English system is better since the one I use is a blending of British and American spellings. I personally find it to be a very silly argument. Who cares if someone writes "color" or "colour?" They're both technically correct, so it really doesn't matter.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleta01 View Post
    Typical Conversation when meeting people in Australia:
    A: "Hi, where are you from?"
    Me: "I'm from America."
    A: "I know that."

What I want to say: "THEN WHY DID YOU ASK?"
    Perhaps they were wondering if you were actually Canadian and don't want to admit it.
    Dialgarules and Nicoleta01 like this.

Blog Entries

From someone who's currently learning Chinese, simplified is a hell of a lot more convenient and easy than traditional, the reason the whole simplified version was created was to increase literacy since there were tons of characters for one meaning which makes it a bitch to write notes and vary words, where as simplified is only a few characters per word which change only due to grammer and meaning. It also works to simplify the drawing of characters, wherein you needed to do things perfect, exact, and complex, these have only varied in small places yet cut writing time in half.
    My approach to acting is that I am totally intuitive. I read the script and I get it. If I don't get it, I can't do it.
    -Morgan Freeman

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by smaug85 View Post
    From someone who's currently learning Chinese, simplified is a hell of a lot more convenient and easy than traditional
    Then try to learn Traditional, you'd learn that it's harder to pick up. (If you go with the reverse, it's definitely easier). I preferred Traditional because it's aesthetically pleasing and preserves the subtle hints of culture.

The reason the whole simplified version was created was to increase literacy
    That is true, but one of the reasons was propaganda. Like I said earlier, the communist wanted to spread Mao's idea and simplified the writing system to do that. I can't say if its working, since comparing literacy rates of Taiwan and the mainland would be unfair.

since there were tons of characters for one meaning which makes it a bitch to write notes and vary words, where as simplified is only a few characters per word which change only due to grammer and meaning
    Sure, they're a like more than 50,000 characters, but we only use around 5,000. Also, if you were to apply logic to English, we should get rid of the synonyms then. In addition, simplified Chinese has combined two unrelated words because they just sound the same, which makes it a bit more confusing. Example would be 發 (fā, send) and 髮 (fǎ, send) combined as 发. While I do admit that some simplification made some sense (塵->尘, dust), I just think most of them were unnecessary. The simplification of the words aren't even consistent. To give an idea on how simplified would look like if it we're applied to English, we would have synchronize, chronology, anachronic, chronicle as synkrize, chrology, anakric, kronkle. As you can see, the reference to the word 'chrono' is gone, removing the connection between those words.

It also works to simplify the drawing of characters, wherein you needed to do things perfect, exact, and complex, these have only varied in small places yet cut writing time in half.
    Well, can you differentiate 洋 with 详 if the person didn't write it clearly? This depends on your handwriting. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as its recognizable and understandable. Sure, it may cut the time in half, but that still depends on how you write. Also, this doesn't apply when you're typing words on the computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123