SCIENCE: Western black rhino declared extinct - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Western black rhino declared extinct

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Western black rhino declared extinct

How long will it take for people to get a grip and consume less?

I'm looking at you, USA.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Blog Entries

What?

I'm pretty sure a vast majority of poached ivory, which is a main cause of black rhino extinction, is not sold to US collectors. True we do buy a lot of useless crap, but most of it is chinese plastic and electronics, not fine ivory. So I don't see how that statement is relevant at all.
    Zeta likes this.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
    our only solution is cloning the animal back into existence, and keeping it in American zoos for protection against poachers, what these poachers did is against international law, and is sick beyond comprehension.
    Hey, what's wrong with European ones?
    First of all, cloning them up just to keep them in zoos? What on Earth would be the point of that? The point is to conserve them in the wild. Rather spend the resources on conserving the other black rhinos instead of trying to bring others back to life (an attempt that would have failed.
    It's not sick beyond comprehension. As much as I don't like to admit it, if you were poor, lived in Africa and had an easy way to earn loads of money, many would at least consider the thought of poaching if they had a chance to make their lives better. It's not how things should be, but it's how things are unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tschitt View Post
    I'm looking at you, USA.
    Well, you can look there as much as you want, I'd rather watch Yemen if I were you.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'm guessing this will be another reason why we should care more about the starving people in Africa. To prevent them from resorting to illegal poaching to grab some cash for food.

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

A shame indeed.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Katelynn View Post
    I'm pretty sure a vast majority of poached ivory, which is a main cause of black rhino extinction, is not sold to US collectors. True we do buy a lot of useless crap, but most of it is chinese plastic and electronics, not fine ivory. So I don't see how that statement is relevant at all.
    Rhinocerous horns are not ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    First of all, cloning them up just to keep them in zoos? What on Earth would be the point of that? The point is to conserve them in the wild. Rather spend the resources on conserving the other black rhinos instead of trying to bring others back to life
    Well, if we did clone them you can't expect to be able to put them back into the wild immediately, can you? A period of captivity would be required.

If only we weren't so greedy about the rhinos!

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Well, if we did clone them you can't expect to be able to put them back into the wild immediately, can you? A period of captivity would be required.
    Of course, but that's not what I'm reading from the post I quoted. However, it's a complete waste of resources compared to spending those on actually protecting surviving black rhinos, as keeping the population in the wild sustainable is more likely to succeed than a breeding/cloning program on this scale. I for one think that's a better thing to do (mostly because I believe that such a project would most likely fail).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234