SCIENCE: Western black rhino declared extinct

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Western black rhino declared extinct

Blog Entries

Default Western black rhino declared extinct

Source w/info on a few more endangered animals.

Africa's western black rhino is now officially extinct according the latest review of animals and plants by the world's largest conservation network.

The subspecies of the black rhino -- which is classified as "critically endangered" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species -- was last seen in western Africa in 2006.

The IUCN warns that other rhinos could follow saying Africa's northern white rhino is "teetering on the brink of extinction" while Asia's Javan rhino is "making its last stand" due to continued poaching and lack of conservation.

"In the case of the western black rhino and the northern white rhino the situation could have had very different results if the suggested conservation measures had been implemented," Simon Stuart, chair of the IUCN species survival commission said in a statement.

"These measures must be strengthened now, specifically managing habitats in order to improve performance, preventing other rhinos from fading into extinction," Stuart added.

The IUCN points to conservation efforts which have paid off for the southern white rhino subspecies which have seen populations rise from less than 100 at the end of the 19th century to an estimated wild population of 20,000 today.
    To put it simply: This just blows. Stupid rhino hunters.

He Bled into the Throne Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Western black rhino declared extinct

This is horrible. Humanity used to struggle to survive against nature; now, nature struggles against us.

I'm really hoping we can avoid situations like this in the future.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

The game is called Bridges...

Banner by Blazaking

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Noo D: are there any in zoos at least?

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Simply disgusting. People still don't realise that we're ruining everything, and killing everything. This is why I dislike humans as a species in general.
    Joshawott, Durbe, Kingmate and 3 others like this.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by yourlilemogirl View Post
    Noo D: are there any in zoos at least?
    Nope. None are known to be held in captivity. And this just sucks. Hope they can manage to protect the other vulnerable rhino species left.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This is why we need to decrease our population in order to make room for endangered animals who are close to extinction from loss of habitat and overhunting.
    Robo-Floatzel and Baka-kun like this.

Savage Rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    This is why we need to decrease our population in order to make room for endangered animals who are close to extinction from loss of habitat and overhunting.
    Are you implying that we kill humans to make room for animals?

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Follow Derier44 On Twitter
    Visit Derier44's Youtube Channel

When they invent time machines, im going back to save the rhinos >=)
    Antlionerd and Robo-Floatzel like this.

Winner of: Inazuma Eleven Mafia, FALCONWING 3 MAFIA, War Room Mafia 2,
    The Simpsons Mafia, Bloodshed in Blackthorn, Insane Mafia

Black FC: 4427-8152-0447

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hadesiro View Post
    Are you implying that we kill humans to make room for animals?
    What I'm implying is that we must try to decrease our population without the process of genocide. Abortion and gay marriage are too controversial, life in space is impossible, birth control isn't enforced much, and a one child policy similar to China's is marked unconstitutional.

Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's definitely reasonable to suggest we decrease our population, and base some form of self-hatred on that we don't act caretakers for all the species...

Turtles All The Way Down Continent Turtle's Avatar
    Add Continent Turtle on Facebook
    Visit Continent Turtle's Youtube Channel

What I'm implying is that we must try to decrease our population without the process of genocide. Abortion and gay marriage are too controversial, life in space is impossible, birth control isn't enforced much, and a one child policy similar to China's is marked unconstitutional.
    Then let's hope a terrorist force releases small pox in India and China and Afrika, and then we have around three billion people less.

Or a nucleair war.

Or...

Breeding zombies that explode after 4 billion are infected which leaves room for more people.

Or the more legal options above.
    I claimed Leavanny!
    I claimed Albert Wesker!
    I claimed Ghirahim!

Savage Rain!

I apologize for that insulting assumption.

As long as we have similar species of rhinoceros, and enough genetic material, we may be able to actually bring the extinct ones back using cloning, perhaps.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Aw, now I feel bad for that delicious rhino-flank burger I had just earlier...

Hmm, well, anyway, it's almost impossible to be a conservationist and a naturalist, because species of animals actually do go extinct naturally--humans can't be guilted for everything. (Should humans preserve anything that is naturally due to be extinct?)

And human intervention does have unintended consequences, whether "nature's protection" is considered, is focal, or neither. Who knows, for instance, what effect the drastic increase of a population of rhino species has. (>100 to ~20,000 southern white rhino, i.e.) Ecosystems are highly complex, with interaction between millions of organisms large and small (and even things that don't classify as traditional "organisms" like viruses are highly important). It's almost impossible for any human to decide what should be and how species should prosper.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    Hmm, well, anyway, it's almost impossible to be a conservationist and a naturalist, because species of animals actually do go extinct naturally--humans can't be guilted for everything. (Should humans preserve anything that is naturally due to be extinct?)
    While I do agree that species go extinct naturally, can't really say that we're helping in a lot of cases, destroying not only habitat but generally just killing them off. Removing species from ecosystems through unnatural means (like hunting not for food, but for trophy) could lead to consequences that's not really expected, at least in the long term, and we should be careful with fiddling with them. While I doubt that Black rhinos were a really key species, I think it's a lesson we should consider in every ecosystem.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    We know that most extinctions in the future will be caused by human factors, so that's what needs to be prevented.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast