WE HAVE A POPE - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: WE HAVE A POPE

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WE HAVE A POPE

One thing worth noting is that the body representing many Islamic Countries, as well as Israel have given warm wishes to the new Pope, hopefully this is the start of something that could lead to greater understanding and friendship among the Worlds 3 largest religions.

Also apparently from Reuters, this Pope has already broken more rules in 1 day than his predecessor had during his entire tenure. Catholic or not ( And I am not Catholic ) I will enjoy watching this merely to see what this guy does, and how he breaks the rules and dodges his own security.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    I like how this one cardinal couldn't become pope because he wasn't allowed by his momma
    I'm assuming you're referring to Canada's cardinal? Just as a little correction here, his mom didn't have a say in the decision. He simply wasn't picked because he wasn't picked. What was actually stated, was that the mom was a little relieved because she feared she wouldn't be able to see her son anymore if he was elected Pope, because the guy reportedly visits her every summer or so.

But I guess that really isn't a big point with this thread.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    I like how this one cardinal couldn't become pope because he wasn't allowed by his momma
    I'm assuming you're referring to Canada's cardinal? Just as a little correction here, his mom didn't have a say in the decision. He simply wasn't picked because he wasn't picked. What was actually stated, was that the mom was a little relieved because she feared she wouldn't be able to see her son anymore if he was elected Pope, because the guy reportedly visits her every summer or so.

Actually I your thinking of Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York

Cardinal Timothy Dolan's Mom Glad He Isn't New Pope

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SHINY HEATRAN View Post

Nope. Me and my mother were watching the news and suddenly the guy on the news said (before we even knew who was pope) that one cardinal refused in advance because he couldn't because of his momma.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that Francis's grace -- if that's the word -- will be important. For all of John Paul and Benedict's best qualities, they (and those before them) were from the Old World, the Old Church, where Catholicism is dying. Francis is not, and he has a Christ-like spirit to match the vigor of the New Church. That could help.

The Church is burdened with its sex scandals, which will not go away for all its prayer and hopeful silence. The institution is a little lame. Francis donating Argentina's Cardinal Palace, slipping his security and paying his own bills could mean that this papacy won't be caught in the trappings of the Vatican. Maybe Francis can "fix things".

The Church's greater, less immediate problem is how the Church interacts with the world. It's values on homosexuality are part of that, but it's too tempting to judge the Church on these immediate issues. The wealthier societies we are building allow women lives beyond Home Ec, and encourage fewer children as they become more expensive to raise and educate. This changes how people live, changing values, creating conflicts. (The U.S. has fierce culture clash; it's a pioneer. Other countries, third-world countries, could become just as bad when wealth goes up and birthrates drop.) What should the Church be in this world?

Francis might not be right for a reformation (if needed), but he doesn't have to be. That issue may outlive the 21st Century. A country (the Vatican) likes a healthy economy (here, moral foundation) before focusing on foreign policy (which morals?). It has been the case with countries before, and circumstances may force that here.

The Church wants internal change and, as always, it must come from Catholicism and not our imposed spirit of the times. Pope Francis, the humble Argentinian in Rome, could do it.

It seems that with each new Pope there's a cry about collaboration with despots. John Paul and Benedict were both accused of acquiescing with the Nazis, and now Francis is accused similarly with Argentinian dictators. They're a little grating, these Cried Wolf moments. Life under dictators is hard -- and I don't have the understanding to say more. I think that these accusations take away from everything else, make for sadness and anger. We should wait on those opinions. It's not healthy to rush to upset.
    Jolene likes this.

Blog Entries

Nope. Me and my mother were watching the news and suddenly the guy on the news said (before we even knew who was pope) that one cardinal refused in advance because he couldn't because of his momma.
    Am I a bad person when saying that I'm surprised these old guys even have living mothers anymore?

Edit: Also, I've been letting it slide, but perhaps the debate about the pope's views on gay marriage and child abuse and whatnot would better be held in the campaign bus forum, if a topic about it has yet to be started. I'm going to miss the activity ;_;
    Last edited by Caitlin; 15th March 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Karamazov likes this.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SHINY HEATRAN View Post

Oh, so only one cardinal is allowed to have a mom with thoughts over the election now?

No. I was specifically talking about Canada's cardinal. It'd help if I could remember his name, but his family's mixed-blessings thoughts were stated in Canadian news.

Edit: I'm thinking it was Marc Ouellet.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Yes, that was the Canadian Cardinal with a shot at becoming pope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234