Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: WE HAVE A POPE

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WE HAVE A POPE

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Naarghul View Post
    Pope Benedict XVI was an absolute snooze inducing bore. I expect that's why he resigned; he really wasn't accomplishing much, and I expect it was because he was in the shadow of Pope John Paul II.
    Um, I think it has to be something more than just being "an absolute snooze inducing bore" to be the first papal resignation in over half a millennium. There have been other "snooze inducing bore" popes that didn't resign.
    That's true. But, like I said, the rumor is that he hated the job and hated the spotlight he was put in because of it. The way I see it, unless there's some scandal that comes to light, Pope Benedict XVI will likely end up like the rest of the "boring" Popes, simply footnotes in history notable only because they were Popes. There are plenty of those. To find interesting Popes or events surrounding the papacy, one has to look through the Crusades. Even better, look through the schisms where there were multiple Popes. now THOSE make for some interesting bits of history. And....some pretty bloody European wars. >.>
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Blog Entries

I would not describe this Pope as a "homophobe". He simply believes in traditional values. Just because a person is opposed to gay marriage does not make them a homophobe. He has stated time and time again that people must have respect for homosexuals and treat them with dignity.

Plus, why are you guys only focusing on the gay issue? That's not the only issue that exists, you know. You all are acting like he advocated executing gay people or something like that. He is a humble man, who cares deeply about the plight of the poor, and social justice. He's a a pretty good guy in my book.

Y > X

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Hopefully in a few years or so the church moves away from such out-dated beliefs. Hell, back in the day people used to be tortured simply for reading the bible in English. Yet now you'll be hard pressed to find a street without an English copy (in the English speaking world of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    On the other hand, we have a Jesuit who ride the bus to work, a man who washed and kissed the feet of AIDS victims, a priest of the poor who picked the name of Francis of Assisi.

This could well end up being a very interesting papacy.
    Washing and kissing feet is all well and good, but let's see if he finally moves away from the archaic and insane ban on condom use. Whenever I think of the Catholic Church and condoms, I think of this:

(Until 17:01). Hopefully he moves on from Ratzinger's lunacy.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 14th March 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

It seems that this guy is trying to come off as very humble, as Evil Figment said this could be a interesting Papacy

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph
    More details have been emerging about the Pope’s first hours in Office. We heard earlier that after his election, he shunned the official Vatican City 1 car for the short trip back to where the Cardinals were staying, joining them on a communal minibus.

We are told that he said: I’m going home on the bus because I came here on the bus.”

He also – very pointedly – declined to sit on a throne to receive his fellow Cardinals last night, standing to greet them one by one. Then there was his surprise trip to church this morning – making his way through rush-hour traffic in a plain car with no cavalcade.

But the priests there could not have been as surprised as the staff at the clerical hostel in Rome where he was staying last week when he called in on his way back to pick up his bags.

After retrieving his belongings, he called at the reception desk and insisted on paying his bill. He said he wanted it to be an example to bishops and archbishops.
    Pope Francis elected leader of Catholic Church: latest - Telegraph

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

@Jolene; Well, that's the thing. Someone can say they're "respectful" all they want, but I don't think you would find it very respectful if you were a gay or bisexual person, and someone was saying that it is "child abuse" for you to raise children.

I mean, that's not only disrespectful to LGBT people, it's disrespectful to victims of actual child abuse by making light of what they have experienced.

You don't have to be beating up gay people to be a "homophobe." If you think gay people are inferior human beings - and believing they're unable to raise children, he clearly does - that's homophobia. "Traditional values" is a bullshit, meaningless term that has been used throughout history to excuse various forms of hate. Once upon a time, believing in racial segregation was "believing in traditional values."

No one would buy it if someone said "Hey, I don't believe black people should be able to adopt white children - but hey, I'm not racist! Just believe in traditional values!"
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 14th March 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Just a question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Wion, 1595
    Petrus Romanus, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End.
    Even if not named Peter and from Argentina, Francis has Roman heritage (Italian parents) and is 266th. Could he still be the "rock of Rome" in the prophecy? (I know zero Latin grammar but my context is, Peter came from old Greek "πέτρος pétros", stone)
    Because if he is, he will be a great man, and then Rome will be flattened.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

I like how this one cardinal couldn't become pope because he wasn't allowed by his momma

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    Just a question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Wion, 1595
    Petrus Romanus, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End.
    Even if not named Peter and from Argentina, Francis has Roman heritage (Italian parents) and is 266th. Could he still be the "rock of Rome" in the prophecy? (I know zero Latin grammar but my context is, Peter came from old Greek "πέτρος pétros", stone)
    Because if he is, he will be a great man, and then Rome will be flattened.
    There have been a lot of theories about popes that went nowhere, this one will be no different. Like how John Paul II was supposed to sprout wings and turn into a demon while on his death bed. Or how the last one (Benedict... something) was supposed to choose John Paul III and fulfill some bullshit prophecy related to 666 and destroy the catholic church from the inside.

Also, hearing how this guy is very humble (supposedly) must have inspired my friend to make the old "does the pope shit in the woods" joke, because he will not shut up about it. It's good to see someone practice the message they preach for a change, I just wonder if it'll go away very quickly.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    I would not describe this Pope as a "homophobe". He simply believes in traditional values. Just because a person is opposed to gay marriage does not make them a homophobe. He has stated time and time again that people must have respect for homosexuals and treat them with dignity.

Plus, why are you guys only focusing on the gay issue? That's not the only issue that exists, you know. You all are acting like he advocated executing gay people or something like that. He is a humble man, who cares deeply about the plight of the poor, and social justice. He's a a pretty good guy in my book.
    You might, maybe, not be a homophobe if you oppose gay marriage.
    But if you think gay marriage a plot by the Devil to corrupt the work of God, you are a homophobe.

You might, maybe, not be a homophobe even if you oppose gay adoption.
    But if you say it constitute child abuse, you are a homophobe.

I agree there's more than one issue. I said as much. But it is a significant issue, and it cannot simply be ignored, no matter how much you wish it would go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

I just have to say that I am so unsurprised that a descendant of Italian diaspora was chosen to be Latin America's first pope.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

That's true. But, like I said, the rumor is that he hated the job and hated the spotlight he was put in because of it. The way I see it, unless there's some scandal that comes to light, Pope Benedict XVI will likely end up like the rest of the "boring" Popes, simply footnotes in history notable only because they were Popes. There are plenty of those. To find interesting Popes or events surrounding the papacy, one has to look through the Crusades. Even better, look through the schisms where there were multiple Popes. now THOSE make for some interesting bits of history. And....some pretty bloody European wars. >.>
    You don't think the child abuse scandal in the church might have something to do with this? There has been some evidence (I'm not sure how credible it was) that Benedict XVI might have protected some priests who were abusing children, in his previous position as cardinal, by shifting them around rather than de-frocking them (or whatever it's called).

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    You don't think the child abuse scandal in the church might have something to do with this? There has been some evidence (I'm not sure how credible it was) that Benedict XVI might have protected some priests who were abusing children, in his previous position as cardinal, by shifting them around rather than de-frocking them (or whatever it's called).
    If that's true, then it's interesting. But until there's more evidence, My attitude towards it is rather meh.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Blog Entries

If that's true, then it's interesting. But until there's more evidence, My attitude towards it is rather meh.
    Well, I think it was credible. I'm just not sure, because when I read about this it was eons ago.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I must say, though, that despite issues of homophobia and sexism, which were unavoidable for a pope (if this one is perhaps a little worse than most, it's not by much)...this pope is, so far, leaving me with a quite favorable impression.
    Big Lutz and Jolene like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    I must say, though, that despite issues of homophobia and sexism, which were unavoidable for a pope (if this one is perhaps a little worse than most, it's not by much)...this pope is, so far, leaving me with a quite favorable impression.
    It's only been a day so far. Might be worth giving it some time to see how he responds to the whole child rape thing and such. See if he's as humble when it comes to actual serious matters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast