Like Tree28Likes

Thread: WE HAVE A POPE

Blog Entries

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WE HAVE A POPE

Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Pope Francis I

Arch Bishop of Buenos Aires Argentina

The very first Latin American Pope, he is some one who is a very strong man, who is very much a man of the people as I am being told, including riding the bus everyday to work. He is also 76 years old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Pope Francis I

Arch Bishop of Buenos Aires Argentina

The very first Latin American Pope, he is some one who is a very strong man, who is very much a man of the people as I am being told, including riding the bus everyday to work. He is also 76 years old.
    And here is a news story confirming it. Argentine Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio Elected Pope _ First Pontiff From Americas - ABC News

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

I love watching all the LGBT news sites I follow being like, "Hey guys, just so you know, he's also anti-gay!"

It's like NO SHIT SHERLOCK. I would be surprised if they picked a Pope who wasn't.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    I love watching all the LGBT news sites I follow being like, "Hey guys, just so you know, he's also anti-gay!"

It's like NO SHIT SHERLOCK. I would be surprised if they picked a Pope who wasn't.
    Well, there's anti-gay and there's anti-gay. There's zero chance right now of a pro-gay pope, but there was hope for one who hadn't made anti-gay rhetoric such a priority in his career. This guy got into a shouting match with the Argentinian government over gay marriage.

It's a shame really, as he does seem to be an improvement in other areas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    Well, there's anti-gay and there's anti-gay. There's zero chance right now of a pro-gay pope, but there was hope for one who hadn't made anti-gay rhetoric such a priority in his career. This guy got into a shouting match with the Argentinian government over gay marriage.

Ah, I wasn't aware he was that bad. The ones who aren't like "Hey he's still anti-gay!" seem to be like "Well at least he's not Benedict!" so I assumed he was better.

But yeah, now that I'm reading quotes from him - sheesh.

I think even lesser anti-gay popes weren't likely because the church seems to be trending more and more socially conservative ever since John Paul II, and the cardinals who have the clout to play a role in these decisions would presumably be those who are in agreement with those ideals.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Ah, I wasn't aware he was that bad. The ones who aren't like "Hey he's still anti-gay!" seem to be like "Well at least he's not Benedict!" so I assumed he was better.

But yeah, now that I'm reading quotes from him - sheesh.

I think even lesser anti-gay popes weren't likely because the church seems to be trending more and more socially conservative ever since John Paul II, and the cardinals who have the clout to play a role in these decisions would presumably be those who are in agreement with those ideals.
    At least he wasn't a Nazi.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

So... you are shocked that the Pope is catholic?
    Jolene likes this.

Blog Entries

No, he's saying there's a difference between holding the anti-gay views that one would expect from a leader in the Catholic Church, and making them a huge personal priority. Everyone has pet issues, even cardinals.

Blog Entries

[I think even lesser anti-gay popes weren't likely because the church seems to be trending more and more socially conservative ever since John Paul II, and the cardinals who have the clout to play a role in these decisions would presumably be those who are in agreement with those ideals.
    It's partly reactionary, I think. There was a time when the church didn't feel the need to talk about homosexuality much because it was just assumed that everyone agreed with them. Now the rest of the world is gradually coming around to the idea that it's actually fine, and so the church is suddenly out of line with mainstream thought in some countries, and it's freaking out.

That said, I don't think it's a priority either way when selecting popes right now. Their main concerns are the child abuse coverups and the corruption allegations that hung over the last pope, and what they wanted was to find someone as far away from all of that as possible.

Blog Entries

No, he's saying there's a difference between holding the anti-gay views that one would expect from a leader in the Catholic Church, and making them a huge personal priority. Everyone has pet issues, even cardinals.
    You do realize as a Cardinal that they uphold the beliefs of the church, and the beliefs of the religion, and the religion is not one to support Gay Marriage.
    Jolene likes this.

Blog Entries

Did you actually read my post?

Blog Entries

Did you actually read my post?
    Yes I did, as well as your latest post that is basically "The church needs to get on board because much of the world supports Gay Marriage". The problem with that is you expect religion to change just because views change.
    Jolene likes this.

Blog Entries

You do realize as a Cardinal that they uphold the beliefs of the church, and the beliefs of the religion, and the religion is not one to support Gay Marriage.
    The church opposes a lot of things. Some cardinals make noisy, hard-line opposition to certain things a bigger priority than others. Of course any cardinal under serious consideration is going to be tacitly anti-gay. But there are some who quietly follow the party line, and some who make it their personal crusade.

Blog Entries

Again, no one is saying that he wouldn't be expected to uphold the beliefs of the church.

We're talking about if that is a cause where he'd put particular focus, as opposed to others.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast