SPORTS: USADA moves to nullify Lance Armstrong's record - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: USADA moves to nullify Lance Armstrong's record

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Default Re: USADA moves to nullify Lance Armstrong's record

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    It seems pretty cut and dry to me, if there are official drug test results that say he did drugs, then he's guilty. If there are no official drug test results that say he did drugs, then he's not guilty. As far as I gather from reading his Wikipedia article, there have been no positive official drug test results on file, just people saying they saw results and whatnot.
    The problem is that drug tests aren't designed to catch dopers; they're designed to prevent doping. Any athlete that fails a drug test really screwed up. Plenty of athletes like Marion Jones managed to consistently pass their drug tests.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

http://www.usada.org/cyclinginvestigationstatement.html

USADA submitted their full report to the UCI today. If the UCI is not satisfied with the report they can appeal to CAS within 21 days.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Cycling Investigation - USADA

USADA submitted their full report to the UCI today. If the UCI is not satisfied with the report they can appeal to CAS within 21 days.
    Last I heard they chose not to appeal, they agreed with the USADA, although some think it may be to cover up some larger issues with doping in the UCI.

I feel sad about this - not for Armstrong, of course, but for what he represented and how that is all gone now. His success was constantly held up as inspirational to other cancer survivors, and while there are problems with the "look how much he still achieved so much in spite of X!" narrative that Lance Armstrong symbolized, at the very least he showed cancer survivors who were athletes that they didn't have to give up or surrender their dreams in their chosen sport. So I wonder how that looks to people inspired by him now that it's known that he only achieved that through cheating.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

I knew his was a CHEATER. so i have no sympathy for any of HIS FANS, FRIENDS, FAMILY and ANY ONE ELSE WHO CARES.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post
    I knew his was a CHEATER. so i have no sympathy for any of HIS FANS, FRIENDS, FAMILY and ANY ONE ELSE WHO CARES.
    Calm down. Regardless if he cheated he is still a great athlete, he still had to train and work his body. Taking drugs wouldn't simply make him the best, he still has to push himself, especially when his closest competition and are also doping.

I don't think using drugs was a good choice for him in regards to his career and he should face punishment for cheating like that, but he is still an icon of overcoming difficulties and challenges, he's still a hero to many.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Last I heard they chose not to appeal, they agreed with the USADA, although some think it may be to cover up some larger issues with doping in the UCI.
    Yeah, all of the sanctions are official now.

Blog Entries

at the very least he showed cancer survivors who were athletes that they didn't have to give up or surrender their dreams in their chosen sport. So I wonder how that looks to people inspired by him now that it's known that he only achieved that through cheating.
    As a cancer survivor and an (former at this point) athlete myself, he was a bit of an inspiration to me. He was into cycling while I'm into tennis and hockey, so his inspiration over me wasn't as powerful, but he did show that cancer survivors are just as good as other athletes and can surpass them.

I still feel that way. Nothing some judge-jury-executioner organization that needs no proof will ever say will take that away from me. We still don't know whether he has cheated or not. I've yet to see the USADA's supposed proof ever be released to the public, but I admit I haven't really investigated into it. But something's always smelled fishy about this investigation, especially considering there is no check and balance system in place for this organization's claims.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Eh, I find it fishy that someone can have such a total domination over the sport for that many years, cancer survivor or not.

And according to what I've heard, it seems to be part of a larger problem with doping in professional cycling. I'm sure if it's that endemic that a multiple-time champion like Armstrong wouldn't be an exception.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I sincerely hope that this incident doesn't hurt Livestrong in some way. It's still a noble organization regardless of whether or not its founder cheated in cycling.

Blog Entries

Oh you know it will hurt the organization. Sponsors have already pulled out, completely missing the point of the investigation.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Is Livestrong really a phenomenal cancer organization compared to others, though? From my vantage point, it seems like they engage in a lot of the same "pinkwashing" (except applied to more than one type of cancer) that's become so problematic in the more common breast cancer orgs like Komen.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Eh, I find it fishy that someone can have such a total domination over the sport for that many years, cancer survivor or not.

And according to what I've heard, it seems to be part of a larger problem with doping in professional cycling. I'm sure if it's that endemic that a multiple-time champion like Armstrong wouldn't be an exception.
    He doesn't have much going for him. Just being on a team that sanctioned doping indicates that he was doping along with everyone else. The numerous testimonies that have been compiled against him just add further verification. The only reason we have doubt is because of the sophistication of doping in cycling along with the fact that cyclists were and are using doping methods that didn't have (and still don't have, in the case of blood doping) tests for them.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Wow and to think he would do this after fighting and winning against a serious medical ailment. Shocking.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

The New York Times is reporting that Lance is considering confessing to doping. His lawyer is denying it.

In slightly related news, the UCI won a libel case against Floyd Landis. He's not allowed to make his claims that the UCI conspired with Armstrong to cover up positive test results.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

This surprisingly long-winded saga will be continuing. Lance Armstrong will appear in an interview with Oprah this Thursday. It seems like he's going to confess to doping.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123