US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill

Exclamation US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill

You may or may not be aware of the hearings being held in the US Congress today on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect-IP Act. These bills will effectively grant corporations the power to shut down any websites determined to have infringed upon the rights of copyright holders. If passed, they will basically ruin the freedom and integrity of the internet, and will likely result in the shutdown of dozens of social media sites with user-uploaded content, including Facebook, YouTube, and Tumblr. Dozens of companies have banded together to claim 11/16/11 as American Censorship Day. Tumblr has by far taken the most aggressive action against this censorship, periodically blacking out all dashboard content and adding a banner with a link to contact a US representative.

Below you can find more information on the bills, as well as multiple opportunities to send a letter or even a phone call to a representative, protesting this legislation.

reddit

americancensorship.org

Tumblr

Don't let this happen! D:

EDIT: Here is an excellent article, including a very enlightening video that explains the situation better than I can.
    Last edited by Laterose; 16th November 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Red Hot Gym Leader Flannery's Avatar Forum HeadModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill

I wrote my congresswoman already.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

If you're an American, go to the above link to send a quick note to your Congressman or woman. Please, for the sake of free internet, do the same. It takes two minutes and if we all send notes in, maybe we can help make sure this bill doesn't pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hide in Plain Sight View Post
    I wrote my congresswoman already.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

If you're an American, go to the above link to send a quick note to your Congressman or woman. Please, for the sake of free internet, do the same. It takes two minutes and if we all send notes in, maybe we can help make sure this bill doesn't pass.
    >:O I'm gonna do this like now. Is there an age restriction, that you know of?
    Currently looking for help with a web project. If interested in more details, please feel free to PM me!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

@AiedailEclipsed I don't believe so!

Blog Entries

Eh, I wrote in anyway. I really hope these don't pass. The internet would essentially become a shooting gallery for companies to "protect" their copyrights.
    Currently looking for help with a web project. If interested in more details, please feel free to PM me!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

I love you BMGf friends Milo†icgirl McQüeen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not American or anything and don't understand Congressmen/women and stuff but please for the sake of Gaga, do what HiPS said and give your local Congressperson a quick note.

I sent a note to my congressman, thanks HiPS. If we spam their inboxes enough, maybe they'll get so annoyed they'll do away with the bill.
    I'm the essence of
    daydreamer. time-waster. black and white painter.
    in an upside-down world.
    eyes closed. dreams unfold. ascending realities; open to me.

Friend code: 1306-6423-3472 | Friend safari: Flying | Instagram: themuslimvegan|

I have a feeling that the hacktivists will be more active than we would all think!

I honestly don't care because I don't pirate, so this has no effect on me. I feel that protecting the intellectual rights of artists is far more important than everyday people.

Additionally, anyone that thinks that Facebook will be "shut down" clearly doesn't understand how much power that corporation wields.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

Whispers in the dark... DarkDreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It would actually be bankrupt enough to shut down.
    KPU GM/ModSteven Stone Lover <3

...And so the elegant night vanquished the morning sun...

Extremely witty title Hyperion09's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Hyperion09 On Twitter
    Follow Hyperion09 on Tumblr Visit Hyperion09's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    I honestly don't care because I don't pirate, so this has no effect on me. I feel that protecting the intellectual rights of artists is far more important than everyday people.

Additionally, anyone that thinks that Facebook will be "shut down" clearly doesn't understand how much power that corporation wields.
    Do you not understand what this implies? This new law means that the big corporations only need to accuse a site of such - not prove, just accuse. Say goodbye to video sharing websites, fan activities, social networking sites (I'm especially talking about Tumblr, since it's spearheaded its own campaign against it, and I'm fan of the place), a ton of smaller, innovative sites that simply don't have the money to stand up to this corporate fearmongering, hell, the entire internet as we know it. Say goodbye to the First Amendment your country cherishes so dearly. This is going to spread all over the world if it's not stopped - the US government has been throwing its weight everywhere for far too long.

Do you seriously think that this is purely about "stopping piracy"? Do you understand anything about the file-sharing culture? About the internet in general? This is censorship (or veering ridiculously close to it), and I've had enough.
    Last edited by Hyperion09; 17th November 2011 at 07:02 AM.

LiveJournal | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingdomkid
    I thought air was free but they sell them in plastic bags and comes with a hand full of chips!!

Blog Entries
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

I don't think this will really pass. It goes against our ideals as a nation, and if it did pass, the whole country will be in such an uproar that they may have to change it back.

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Hmm...what topic am i supposed to put this under? International, Telecommunications, Social Issues, or 'Other'?

@Hide in Plain Sight

EDIT: went with telecommunications in the end :P
    Last edited by yourlilemogirl; 17th November 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

It's too bad I can't find an objective version of this story anywhere. I'd like to hear what this bill actually about from some source that is not anti-censorship site propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Laterose View Post
    If passed, they will basically ruin the freedom and integrity of the internet, and will likely result in the shutdown of dozens of social media sites with user-uploaded content, including Facebook, YouTube, and Tumblr.
    I am sure this is an exeggaration, and even if it wasn't, they could all just move their servers out of the US: problem solved.

Also, from what I heard this only applies for people in the US, so nobody else is really affected by it unless some sites shut down.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I'm pretty sure that once the US passes a bill like this, its only a matter of time before other countries follow suit.

The end of the Internet? Its certainly not an exaggeration.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast