SCIENCE: Terrafugia unveils...the Flying Car - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Terrafugia unveils...the Flying Car

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Terrafugia unveils...the Flying Car

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Again, it's not really a "flying car" then as we think about it, it's an airplane that is street legal. The problem with a pilot's license is that they are expensive and time consuming to get and relatively few people have them, whereas a driver's license is easy to get and nearly everyone has one. We think of a flying car as something that the average person can get and will change the driving infrastructure in a Back to the Future 2/Blade Runner/Fifth Element sort of way. If you need runways and pilot's licenses, then it won't really work that way.
    I'm not sure what you consider to be a "common" flying car would be possible, then. Flying is a very complicated skill, I don't think it can be dumbed down to something like what we see with cars nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if prospective drivers/flyers would be expected to master more complicated piloting controls than what we currently see with land based cars.

Visit PerseusRad's Youtube Channel

Weren't there some a few years ago, and then people thought it was too expensive, or too inefficient? Or am I just making this up? Any confirmation would be greatly appreciated, but as others have said, this doesn't excite me too much.

What is this I don't even industrial's Avatar

I think that vehicles like this would probably require their own classification - currently, ultralight aircraft (in the US at least, and I assume in other areas) are minimally regulated, so long as you stay under a certain altitude, and the craft has a specific stall speed and max airspeed, you can do pretty much whatever you want. No flight plans, nothing - they're classified as vehicles and not aircraft so you don't even need a special license.

Blog Entries

I don't think the whole piloting licence thing is as much of an issue as some might think.

This kind of thing won't be commonplace until at least 15-20 years, and that's not going to happen until they lose their wings and take-off the way a helicopter does as opposed to an airplane, which is more than reasonably possible within that time.

Already today we have cars that can drive themselves to some extent, even the subject of that article is said to be self-flying for the most part, and I'm sure that's going to be one of the very first of its kind in the market far from what would later be used by the general public.

Honestly vehicle licences/training will matter less and less as vehicles are increasingly able to drive/fly themselves, which is likely for the better since we all know how responsible human drivers are.

フェアリーです~
    (~ O /// O)~

Fairy's FanFiction/FictionPress

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    This kind of thing won't be commonplace until at least 15-20 years, and that's not going to happen until they lose their wings and take-off the way a helicopter does as opposed to an airplane, which is more than reasonably possible within that time.
    Or else have VTOL capability.

Blog Entries

That's basically what I mean, but mentioning that usually makes people think of airplanes, wings and all which is a really bad idea when it comes to flying cars.

フェアリーです~
    (~ O /// O)~

Fairy's FanFiction/FictionPress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12