Syrian Houla Massacre

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack Pschitt

Thread: Syrian Houla Massacre

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Syrian Houla Massacre

Originally I was thinking of putting it in the campaign bus, but realistically this is much more of a worldly topic than a political one. Or atleast I hope it stays that way, anyway almost everyone knows about the Syrian Massacre, and if not this should give you a pretty good idea of what happened to this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Speaking to the Guardian, the young survivor said government troops arrived in his district at around 3am on Saturday, several hours after shells started falling on Houla.

"They came in armoured vehicles and there were some tanks," said the boy. "They shot five bullets through the door of our house. They said they wanted Aref and Shawki, my father and my brother. They then asked about my uncle, Abu Haidar. They also knew his name."

Shivering with fear, the boy stood towards the back of the entrance to his family home as gunmen then shot dead every family member in front of him.

"My mum yelled at them," said the boy. "She asked: 'What do you want from my husband and son?' A bald man with a beard shot her with a machine gun from the neck down. Then they killed my sister, Rasha, with the same gun. She was five years old. Then they shot my brother Nader in the head and in the back. I saw his soul leave his body in front of me.

"They shot at me, but the bullet passed me and I wasn't hit. I was shaking so much I thought they would notice me. I put blood on my face to make them think I'm dead."

Apparently convinced their work was finished, the gunmen moved on to other areas of the house, from which they proceeded to loot the family's possessions, the boy said. "They stole three televisions and a computer," he said. "And then they got ready to leave."

On the way out of the house, the boy said the gunmen found the three men they had been looking for. They killed them all. "They shot my father and uncle. And then they found Aref, my oldest brother, near the door. They shot him dead too."

The Guardian contacted the boy through a town elder who is a member of the Syrian Revolutionary Council and is now caring for him. We are unable to independently verify the account and have chosen not to name the boy for security reasons.

The boy said he waited until the armoured personnel carriers had moved from his street, then ran to his uncle's house nearby, where he hid. He said the same militiamen knocked on the door minutes later, asking his uncle if he knew who lived in the house that they just rampaged through.

"They didn't know he was my relative and when they were talking to him they were describing six people dead in my house. They included me. They thought I was dead."

Throughout a 15-minute conversation, the boy remained calm and detached until he was pressed on how he knew the gunmen were pro-regime militia men, known as al-Shabiha. The irregular forces have been widely accused by residents of Houla of entering homes and slaughtering families. At least 32 of the dead are children and many of them appear to have been killed at close range.

"They got out of tanks and they had guns and knives," he repeated. "Some of them were wearing civilian clothes, some army clothes.

"Why are you asking me who they were? I know who they were. We all know it. They were the regime army and people who fight with them. That is true."
    Houla massacre survivor tells how his family were slaughtered | World news | The Guardian

In the end 116 people dead, including 32 children as the Assad forces went house to house on a murdering spree through out the town. Now the question becomes what is the world going to do about it? Iran has confirmed they have sent troops to Syria to back up Assad's men, Russia which has U.N. veto power has sent weapons to Syria as of last week to help supply troops.

On the other hand over the weekend the Joint Chiefs in the U.S. seem to indicate that a military attack on Syria may be coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    “You’ll always find military leaders to be somewhat cautious about the use of force, because we’re never entirely sure what comes out on the other side,” he said. “But that said, it may come to a point with Syria because of the atrocities.”
    'Atrocities' could trigger military intervention in Syria, Joint Chiefs chairman warns | Fox News

So should the world intervene? And if so how? Strongly worded letter from the U.N.? Sanctions? Blockades? Military support? Or invasion? Those seem to be the options on the table at the moment.

Scottish Lassie ;) SweetLittleMew's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow SweetLittleMew On Twitter

Default Re: Syrian Houla Massacre

I personally think that the world should intervene. We should have done so long before this happened, we should never have allowed a chance for this to happen! I think we need to do pretty much the same thing we did in Libya to stop Qaddafi. It may be that what's happening in Syria is more televised than what happened in Libya but it would seem to me that the crisis in Syria is worse than that in Libya?

I definitely believe more than a letter from the U.N. is needed here. . .
    .:Mew Mew:.

Blog Entries

A strongly worded letter and sanctions from the UN will not work. We've seen how well they worked with Syria in the past and how well they're working with Iran now.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Words and documents will not stop Syria from slaughtering its own people. I'm sad it escalated to this level, but I think outside forces need to take a stand against the Syrian government now that it's gone off the deep end. If I know my country at all, the USA will be involved at some point.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Words and documents will not stop Syria from slaughtering its own people. I'm sad it escalated to this level, but I think outside forces need to take a stand against the Syrian government now that it's gone off the deep end. If I know my country at all, the USA will be involved at some point.
    An attack or invasion of Syria, or sending troops or forces to the Syrian capital to execute Bashar-Al Asshead (see what I did there?) is the easy way out of stopping the conflict, a trade embargo on Syria will only make things worse, declaring war on Syria is a last resort and should only be saved if all else fails.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

If there is to be intervention, it needs to be led by a country that is not the USA (no, NATO does not count). We've meddled in the Middle East far too much recently.

That being said, these atrocities need to stop somehow. So, intervention by an international task force of some sort might be warranted.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

If The United States does intervene, I guarantee you it will not be as a rescue mission for the citizens of Syria getting slaughtered, no matter how much they might claim that it is. If the United States militarily intervened in situations purely to save lives, then they would have invaded almost every country in Africa.

Do I think that the United States should intervene militarily? NO. Absolutely not, the option should not even be on the table. The only situation in which I would consider it an option to support American military action is if Syria attacks a NATO member. In that case the treaty would activate and we'd be obligated to help in its defense.
    That's nice.