SPORTS: How do we not have a EURO 2012 thread yet? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SPORTS: How do we not have a EURO 2012 thread yet?

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

Default Re: SPORTS: How do we not have a EURO 2012 thread yet?

Haha, okay then. XD
    Yeah. :/ Ukraine seems to be a tight spot for entering the quarterfinals. Both of the hosts might end up not entering the knockout rounds. :/

Group B's last matches coming up. Germany might not have confirmed their spot in the top 8 after all. Not winning their match against Denmark is a rather risky move.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I'm supporting Germany and England. I was also supporting Russia, but... that shock exit yesterday had other ideas. Greece are the dark horses of football, for sure.

I was really impressed with Germany during the 2010 World Cup, so I was expecting the team to be even better this time round and they haven't disappointed so far. Watching England play is always intense, their last match against Sweden was one of the most exhausting matches I have watched. x_x

Who is this git?

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Homika View Post
    Group B's last matches coming up. Germany might not have confirmed their spot in the top 8 after all. Not winning their match against Denmark is a rather risky move.
    Actually, there's pretty much only one way that Germany can keep from advancing; if they lose to Denmark by 1-0, 2-1 or more than two goals AND Portugal beat the Netherlands. At this point, Germany and Denmark are 1-1 and the Netherlands are beating Portugal, so that already removes one of these three outcomes and possibly all of them.

I'd say it's more about whether it will be Portugal or Denmark advancing to the next stage - or if this year's Dutch squad pull off a win that's big enough to move them on, but I doubt it.

I like the German squad (they are just so much fun to watch!) and I do not like the Dutch one, so I like these results thus far.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

Germany made it to the knockout rounds. That was one awesome goal from Podolski :D
    So Germany and Portugal advanced to the tournament rounds. Greece VS Germany, woot, that'd be one interesting game.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Russia eliminated.;-;-; Well time to watch the tourney as a neutral..
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

Oh wow, Italy managed to enter the tournament rounds.

With the match England VS Ukraine coming up, wonder if the other host country could make it to the top 8. It looks tough for them, as both France and England enter for the quarterfinals if they don't lose.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

With Rooney coming back and Ukraine having injury problems (their star striker is battling injury), I don't see them beating the Three Lions, especially since England only needs a draw to advance. However, with a home crowd backing them and England's back four showing weakness against Sweden, you never know.

This will definitely be an exciting game to watch. Far more so than France's match. No reason to expect Les Bleus to have any result besides victory.

Which means France and England will be battling to have a superior goal differential (France is ahead by one currently). Both would like to dodge facing Spain in the quarterfinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Flannery View Post
    No reason to expect Les Bleus to have any result besides victory.
    Well...that was unexpected. I'll just quote myself here:
    Quote Originally Posted by GatoRage View Post
    When you have Ibrahimovic, you always stand a chance.
    I guess France just thought they could show up and the points were in the bag, eh?
    Shame Sweden couldn't hang on to their leads in both of the other matches, but unfortunately the defense was really poor apart from Mellberg.

Oh well...good thing England won't have to face Spain so early :B

Blog Entries

Everyone's opinions on possible semi-finalists?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    Russia eliminated.;-;-; Well time to watch the tourney as a neutral..
    Yeah, I was hoping they would dish out a few upsets. Didn't happen. :/
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Blog Entries

One result makes me look really smart (England winning the group and having a good draw to possibly make a run) and the other (France losing on that brilliant Ibra volley) makes me look dumb.

Ill take it though. Rooney getting the goal is huge for his confidence. And how Rooney goes, England goes.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

Poor France, losing to Sweden didn't cost them entering the quarterfinals but look who they will be facing now. (Though Italy is not that easy of a foe either.)

Frankly if someone just switched to the scene right after the match ended, with no scores displayed or any commentator explaining, they might have thought Sweden somehow went past the group stage or something. XD
    I liked how their supporters gave a honest applause for the great match. That first goal from Sweden has to be one of the best goals in this tournament.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

For the quarterfinals, I see it playing out in the following way:

Czech Republic v. Portugal - Christiano Ronaldo is a hell of a player. No one is going to deny that. But Portugal isn't a strong team without their wonder striker. Also, every Euro tournament has some madness, with one unexpected team making a deep run. Why not the Czechs?

Final Scoreline: 2-1 Czech Republic. Ronaldo will have a moment of brilliance but it won't be enough to keep the Portugese in the tourney.

Germany v. Greece- Greece shocked the football world with a victory over the favored Russian side, knocking them from group winners to elimination. However, a couple key Greeks are suspended for this match due to bookings from the group stages. Even if Greece was at full strength, I don't see them beating this German side. Still, the Greeks can exit with their heads held high.

Scoreline:- Germany 2 - Greece 0

Spain v. France

One team is European champions, world champions and has a stable of sublime attacking players. The other team just lost 2-0 to Sweden. This one is a no brainer.

Scoreline: Spain 3 - France 1

England v. Italy

In my mind, this is the most even matchup (besides the Czechs taking on Portugal). It really could go either way. However, I think the English attack is massively underrated. With the return of their star scorer in Wayne Rooney (who notched a goal in his first game back), the Three Lions boast a strong attacking line. With three club teammates in Danny Welbeck, Ashley Young (who is an incredibly underrated playmaker) and Rooney, the offensive chemistry is there. And supporting them are Steven Gerrard (who has been placing absolutely brilliant crosses into the box all tournament long), Theo Walcott (whose long distance strike helped England escape the Swedes with three vital points) and Andy Carroll (will come off the bench, had a pretty header to open the scoring against the Swedes).

Even with the questions on the back line, I think the English have enough firepower to advance to the semis.

Scoreline: England 3 - Italy 2
    Mintaka, Kaori, TheCapsFan and 1 others like this.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I honestly think Spain may well win the whole thing. They're certainly the only team I support, though I have sympathy for England. They just never seem quite good enough to make a mark, so I wouldn't bet on them beating even Italy.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

While two times Ronaldo was unlucky with the ball hitting the goal post, seems Czechs' defenses couldn't prevent him from scoring.

Portugal's next opponent will be the winner of the match Spain VS France.

Portugal, Germany, England or Italy, and Spain being in the semifinals would be one hell of a tournament.

EDIT: Germany enters semifinals defeating Greece 4-2. With them facing either England or Italy next, they'd better improve defenses. o.o
    Last edited by Mintaka; 22nd June 2012 at 04:04 PM.

eat

Always great to see Engerland choke. Culture.
    vuvuzela2010 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast