WAR: Rogue American soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Jack Pschitt
  • 1 Post By Eredar Warlock
  • 1 Post By LuckyMyu
  • 2 Post By Sith Droideka

Thread: Rogue American soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

Default Rogue American soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

The US president has called his Afghan counterpart, Hamid Karzai, to express his condolences after a US soldier in Afghanistan wandered off base and killed more than a dozen villagers in their homes.

The US has also promised a full investigation into Sunday's rampage in Kandahar, in southern Afghanistan, which left 16 civilians, who included three women and nine children, dead.

"This incident is tragic and shocking, and does not represent the exceptional character of our military and the respect that the United States has for the people of Afghanistan," Barack Obama said in a statement released on Sunday by the White House.

Separately, Leon Panetta, the US defence secretary, pledged to "bring those responsible to justice" and said a full investigation was under way.

The US embassy in Kabul has sent out an alert to its citizens in Afghanistan cautioning that as a result of the shooting, "there is a risk of anti-American feelings and protests in coming days".
    US vows to probe Afghanistan shooting rampage - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English
    *gone*

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rogue American soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

I really hope the Afghan people don't get the wrong idea about our troops because of this. I'm really hoping they understand that there are bad eggs in every batch.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Seems like the U.S. will need to find a way to prevent rouge soldiers from being in their armies.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Seems like the U.S. will need to find a way to prevent rouge soldiers from being in their armies.
    Well, it's not like they don't have some sort of conditioning already. This guy just got through it. I'm certain the military's curriculum (if I spelled that right) aknowledges the possibility of something like this happening. If it didn't, you would be seeing a lot more of this. Fortunately, incidents like this are relatively few as it is.

追放されたバカ

Have they worked out a motive yet? Or is the man just mentally unstable?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    That's like asking people to make sure every slightly overcooked bean stays out of the burrito.
    TheMissingno. likes this.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Apparently he received a brain injury (although he was deemed fit for service) and was undergoing problems with his wife at home.

Folks, this is FAR from the first time something like this has happened.

America's military has a real problem with psychopathic thugs in its ranks who long to act out "Call of Duty" and shoot at brown people. It's been going on for decades. Remember all the *American* atrocities during the Vietnam War?

"Support the troops"? When they clean up their act and kick out the head cases, I will.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

It can be hard to find the crazies sometimes- especially if something's happened at home. So unless the Army takes free will away from its soldiers, this kind of stuff will happen.

I just say hand him to the Afghans for trial. Let them do what they want with him/her.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

US soldier accused in Afghan massacre flown out of country

Updated at 5:36 p.m. ET: -- A U.S soldier suspected of shooting to death 16 Afghan civilians has been flown out of Afghanistan, the U.S. military said.

The soldier was taken out of the country "based on a legal recommendation," said Navy Capt. John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman in Washington.

"We do not have appropriate detention facilities in Afghanistan," he said, explaining that he was referring to a facility for a U.S. service member "in this kind of case," The Associated Press reported.

The decision was made by the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen, a senior Pentagon official told NBC News. The official could not say whether the suspect would be returned to Afghanistan to face any legal proceedings.

The suspect, whose identity has not been released, appeared before a pre-trial confinement hearing and was ordered held without charges. Within the next seven days, he must be granted another pre-trial confinement hearing to determine whether he should remain in custody. Technically, the process could go on for months before official charges are filed.