SCIENCE: Real life Blinky (from The Simpsons): Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By vuvuzela2010
  • 4 Post By Ice Tyrant
  • 2 Post By SmearglePaints

Thread: Real life Blinky (from The Simpsons): Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Registered User vuvuzela2010's Avatar Archives Junior

Default Real life Blinky (from The Simpsons): Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Life has imitated art in Argentina where fishermen have reportedly caught a three-eyed fish in an incident so almost identical to an episode of long-running cartoon show The Simpsons.

According to infobae.com, the fish was reeled in from a reservoir where water is pumped from a local nuclear plant in Córdoba, Argentina, last Thursday.

"We were fishing and we got the surprise of getting this rare specimen," fisherman Julian Zmutt said.

"As it was dark at that time we did not notice, but then you looked at him with a flashlight and saw that he had a third eye."

Mr Zmutt said this was the first time he had caught a three-eyed fish, and said local residents are now complaining that radiation has spread from the plant into the lake.

The scaly creature has been sent to a lab for testing to determine if the fish mutated as a result of being exposed to the water.

In an early episode of The Simpsons, a three-eyed fish named 'Blinky' was caught from waters near the Springfield nuclear power plant where Homer Simpson worked.

Oh dear, one more reason not to use nuclear power. Even if I really want to see a Spider-Pig.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Real life Blinky (from The Simpsons): Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Are you sure this is not a new species of fish that was discovered?
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Default Re: Real life Blinky (from The Simpsons): Three-eyed fish caught in Argentina

Atleast nothing like THIS has actually appeared due to mutations by radiation:

"Welcome, my comrades, to my frozen abyss.~"
    Anime Characters Claimed: Mighty, Shirobon, Shout (Bomberman Jetters)

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Methinks this is just a new fish. A new fish mixed with paranoia and happenstance.

A whole load of Hoopa Hyperion09's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Hyperion09 On Twitter
    Follow Hyperion09 on Tumblr Visit Hyperion09's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
    Are you sure this is not a new species of fish that was discovered?
    Hence the "sent to a lab for testing" part...

LiveJournal | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingdomkid
    I thought air was free but they sell them in plastic bags and comes with a hand full of chips!!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

If this fish really was from a result of radiation, then the idea of mutating life forms with said resource is more than just science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    If this fish really was from a result of radiation, then the idea of mutating life forms with said resource is more than just science fiction.
    Radiation causing mutations in lifeforms has never been "just science fiction."
    The Outrage and Noivern like this.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Not that mutations (assuming this is a mutation--that fish was called a "rare specimen," referring to the fish itself I assume: I wish I was told its species if the species is at all not new) have to be caused by radiation (not even severe mutations).

And not that this plant is necessarily even leaking radioactivity, though it's more feasible since such this story occurs in the waters off Argentina.

That said, all conclusions about nuclear power in general stated previously here have been very general and quite hasty.
    Last edited by League; 3rd November 2011 at 05:21 AM.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Human_Umbreon View Post
    Methinks this is just a new fish. A new fish mixed with paranoia and happenstance.
    Many species of fish, reptile, and amphibian have had parietal eyes. However, all existing species with such eyes all have them subdermally.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

It could just be a genetic mutation, like the rare but not unheard of 2 headed pig or sheep. Its just that this could be on a smaller scale then that
    R.I.P my beloved dog Lisa

Insanity is normal, whats weird is those who are still sane
    White FC: 1162 9053 3913 Black FC: 2150 7869 1755

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is what happens when you try to breed your Basculin with a Gastrodon.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Cat320 View Post
    It could just be a genetic mutation, like the rare but not unheard of 2 headed pig or sheep. Its just that this could be on a smaller scale then that
    It IS a genetic mutation. The question is whether or not this genetic mutation was caused by radioactivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

@Evil Figment Yea I know, what I meant was the natural occuring genetic mutation that happens like once every 5 blue moons.
    R.I.P my beloved dog Lisa

Insanity is normal, whats weird is those who are still sane
    White FC: 1162 9053 3913 Black FC: 2150 7869 1755