Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

Puerto Rico factors into revenue and expenditures for the US federal government as is. Statehood would require Puerto Ricans to pay federal income taxes. It would also result in more federal Medicaid funding. I don't know too much about this subject so I'm not sure what else statehood could change.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Santabomb View Post
    Puerto Rico factors into revenue and expenditures for the US federal government as is. Statehood would require Puerto Ricans to pay federal income taxes. It would also result in more federal Medicaid funding. I don't know too much about this subject so I'm not sure what else statehood could change.
    Yeah, that's another thing I was going to address; it's not like Puerto Rico is just now being added to the country, it's always been a territory. Why would the government necessarily have to be more invested in it than it was before? And now at least with Puerto Ricans paying federal taxes we'd get more of a return on our investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    And could please some one answer this: What does Puerto Rico offer us in return of becoming a state?

In Alaska we got vast natural resources, in Hawaii we got a massive vacation destination that draws in billions. In Puerto Rico it seems we get... a third world country that needs fixing. Is there some upside to this I am not seeing other than adding a star?
    Puerto Rico has a tropical climate and is located in the Caribbean, it could be a potential vacation destination as well with some fixing-up.

(this discussion is going to start sounding like the beginning of "America" from West Side Story pretty soon, lol)
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 15th November 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Yeah, that's another thing I was going to address; it's not like Puerto Rico is just now being added to the country, it's always been a territory. Why would the government necessarily have to be more invested in it than it was before? And now at least with Puerto Ricans paying federal taxes we'd get more of a return on our investment.
    I honestly cannot see the Government allowing the state to continue to have a third world education, water, and sewage system. Having it be a territory is one thing, having it as a state and thus probably subject to all the regulations seems totally different. Besides with all the poverty there, are we really going to get that much in terms of taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Puerto Rico has a tropical climate and is located in the Caribbean, it could be a potential vacation destination as well with some fixing-up.

(this discussion is going to start sounding like the beginning of "America" from West Side Story pretty soon, lol)
    Hmm fair enough.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

@Big Lutz; You're probably right for the most part about federal income taxes, though I'm sure there are some rich people in Puerto Rico and at least we would be able to collect from them and use the money to help rebuild the island as well as other parts of the U.S. that are struggling. As for infrastructure, a lot of western states were not very built-up when they were admitted to the Union, so there's precedent for that, even if in those states it was more due to lack of population than it was to poverty.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, especially with the point about how we could probably help some hard-hit areas here, first (certainly, as a native Detroiter I would like to see my hometown get some aid soon), but I just think there are two sides to this.

(btw, wasn't dismissing this conversation with my West Side Story comment, just that I noticed the comparison as a big musical theater fan - if you didn't click the link, the song is a big argument between Anita and another character (varies based on the version) about whether their life in New York or Puerto Rico is better)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

I honestly cannot see the Government allowing the state to continue to have a third world education, water, and sewage system. Having it be a territory is one thing, having it as a state and thus probably subject to all the regulations seems totally different.
    Aren't most infrastructural regulations under state government jurisdiction instead of federal jurisdiction? I know that my various trade licenses for electrical, plumbing etc are more or less worthless pieces of paper when I cross state lines unless it's for an emergency. I imagine if my licenses, which cover a lot of the basic infrastructure, are null and void elsewhere, it's a state regulation rather than a federal one.

...though we do have nation-wide code regulations for electrical, so I dunno. Just a thought.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Aren't most infrastructural regulations under state government jurisdiction instead of federal jurisdiction? I know that my various trade licenses for electrical, plumbing etc are more or less worthless pieces of paper when I cross state lines unless it's for an emergency. I imagine if my licenses, which cover a lot of the basic infrastructure, are null and void elsewhere, it's a state regulation rather than a federal one.

...though we do have nation-wide code regulations for electrical, so I dunno. Just a thought.
    I believe the EPA through the Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water laws have final say in these things.

I honestly cannot see the Government allowing the state to continue to have a third world education, water, and sewage system.
    We do have places like that in America (Pine Ridge Reservation and areas in Appalachia are some of the well known ones), so I'm not sure if Puerto Rico would be too different.

Quote Originally Posted by Santabomb View Post
    We do have places like that in America (Pine Ridge Reservation and areas in Appalachia are some of the well known ones), so I'm not sure if Puerto Rico would be too different.
    I would think that Indian Reservations like the Pine Ridge Reservation is outside of the Government's Jurisdiction. Other than that I cannot see how Puerto Rico could be out of the reach of EPA Rules and Regulations. The same would go for the Department of Education.

From an economic standpoint this seem to be a rather questionable move because economic help to puerto rico almost seems inevitable. This outflow of cash at a time when the US debt clock is at 16 trillion dollars seems to be a further burden on the US. I just cant see economic gain from this.

I would think that Indian Reservations like the Pine Ridge Reservation is outside of the Government's Jurisdiction. Other than that I cannot see how Puerto Rico could be out of the reach of EPA Rules and Regulations. The same would go for the Department of Education.
    I'm a little unfamiliar with this. Even then, my earlier point isn't diminished because there are non-tribal areas in America with incredibly sub-standard conditions.
    Last edited by Shinobu; 25th November 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This sounds awesome for the drug cartels because now all they have to do is go PR when they become a state to smuggle drugs in here becuase of less regulations of interstate commerce vs commonwealth to state commerce they same applies for us territories.

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Interesting. I thought that D.C. might become a state before Puerto Rico, but hey things work out the way they work out.

Gallifrey Stands Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster97 View Post
    Interesting. I thought that D.C. might become a state before Puerto Rico, but hey things work out the way they work out.
    It is highly unlikely that Washington, D.C. will become a state - its original purpose was to be a non-state entity to place America's capitol in.

Sounds like something interesting.

It would be good for flag making businesses certainly as someone already brought up

Not necessarily good or bad but interesting.
    Last edited by Karma Kidd; 26th November 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Gallifrey Stands Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I honestly think it'd be just as much a burden for flag makers as a boon, as they'll have a surplus of 50-star flags that are now completely useless and unsellable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast