Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

  1. #16
    Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    This could provide a needed boost to our economy: We'll have to replace EVERY. SINGLE. FLAG.
    Unfortunately nothing to go straight to the government as it is illegal to charge taxes on the US flag within the US. But the added revenue into the businesses could be a big boost.
    Am I missing something here, or are you suggesting that Puerto Rico, which would then be a part of the U.S., would somehow boost the U.S.'s economy by importing even more flags from China?
    Det ligger tomhylsor i parken
    Våra fötter är en meter över marken

  2. #17
    E-3 tyler212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,489
    Blog Entries
    119

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post
    Am I missing something here, or are you suggesting that Puerto Rico, which would then be a part of the U.S., would somehow boost the U.S.'s economy by importing even more flags from China?
    If you take into effect the thousands of flags private citizens and businesses will need to replace, yes flag stores will get some more business. Not to mention some local fire,police, government buildings will have to take the cash out of their budget (not a lot but it still has to be counted) in order to pay for new ones.

  3. #18
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,017
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    This could provide a needed boost to our economy: We'll have to replace EVERY. SINGLE. FLAG.
    Unfortunately nothing to go straight to the government as it is illegal to charge taxes on the US flag within the US. But the added revenue into the businesses could be a big boost.
    Am I missing something here, or are you suggesting that Puerto Rico, which would then be a part of the U.S., would somehow boost the U.S.'s economy by importing even more flags from China?
    I didn't say it would help U.S. manufacturing, but yes, it would boost retail.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

  4. #19
    Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    But if burning down all flags in Colorado once about every week, and importing new ones from China boosts the U.S. economy, why don't you do that more often?
    Det ligger tomhylsor i parken
    Våra fötter är en meter över marken

  5. #20
    I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Hidden Land
    Posts
    1,423

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Globalism is good for the economy, if not for manufacturing. And at the risk of being moved into the Campaign Bus, I think we can all agree that it's about time that the Republicans to shift ideology on immigration. It's time for more Jeb Bushes, not more Michelle Bachmanns or Mitt Romneys.
    Misato Katsuragi and Signas like this.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

    Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

    WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

    Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

    Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

  6. #21
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Also, Alaska and Hawaii were both admitted to the union at the same time, so I'm pretty sure that the political composition of Congress in 1959 didn't have much to do with it since those states tend to be on opposite ends of the political spectrum and have been throughout their histories (with the exception of electoral landslides like 1964, 1972 and 1984).
    That's not true, Alaska was admitted in January 1959 and Hawaii was admitted in August 1959. During that time, the US flag had 49 stars.
    That's nice.

  7. #22
    Registered User Articwolf10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bramwell, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,205
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Well PR has been a commonwealth for well over a century and have been american citizens since 1917... becoming a state would make sense...
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

  8. #23
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Also, Alaska and Hawaii were both admitted to the union at the same time, so I'm pretty sure that the political composition of Congress in 1959 didn't have much to do with it since those states tend to be on opposite ends of the political spectrum and have been throughout their histories (with the exception of electoral landslides like 1964, 1972 and 1984).
    That's not true, Alaska was admitted in January 1959 and Hawaii was admitted in August 1959. During that time, the US flag had 49 stars.
    Thanks for fact-checking, you're right. They were admitted in the same year, though, I figured that political considerations re: how they would go in the electoral college weren't a big deal if they decided to admit both of them.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 1st December 2012 at 05:35 AM.

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  9. #24
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Also, Alaska and Hawaii were both admitted to the union at the same time, so I'm pretty sure that the political composition of Congress in 1959 didn't have much to do with it since those states tend to be on opposite ends of the political spectrum and have been throughout their histories (with the exception of electoral landslides like 1964, 1972 and 1984).
    That's not true, Alaska was admitted in January 1959 and Hawaii was admitted in August 1959. During that time, the US flag had 49 stars.
    Thanks for fact-checking, you're right. They were admitted in the same year, though, I figured that political considerations re: how they would go in the electoral college wasn't a big deal if they decided to admit both of them.
    Yeah your point was still valid, the only reason I knew that was because my dad told me how he begged his dad to get a 49 star flag when they came out but he didn't get it and everyone else did, but then they were the first house on the block to get a 50 star flag when they came out 6 months later.
    That's nice.

  10. #25
    Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,319
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    I honestly do not see Puerto Rico coming in, not because it could be a Red State or Blue State, but because it is mired in poverty. 80% of Puerto Rico's children live in high poverty areas. Many of their schools cannot provide even the most basic in study materials. Puerto Rico's poverty rate is about 45%. And their water and sewage system is said to be terrible.

    Study: Puerto Rico's children mired in poverty that dwarfs rest of U.S. - CNN

    To put it plainly, if it were admitted as a state, it would require a TON of money to get it up to standards. And if people haven't noticed spending a ton of money is not really politically popular in Washington, especially when we have our own infrastructure problems.

    Then again Congress over the past two decades has shown a keen interest in "Nation Building".
    Bulletproof Scales likes this.

  11. #26
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    To put it plainly, if it were admitted as a state, it would require a TON of money to get it up to standards. And if people haven't noticed spending a ton of money is not really politically popular in Washington, especially when we have our own infrastructure problems.
    States as a whole might not have those rates of poverty, but a lot of U.S. cities get close (for example, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit and Flint, MI were up there) as well as some very depressed rural areas (like the Mississippi Delta region). Some of them even have infrastructure problems (Detroit, again). The federal government hasn't seen much reason to help with that stuff recently, I'm not sure why they would feel the need to do anything about Puerto Rico just to admit it as a state.

    (and don't use the auto bailout as a counter-example in terms of Detroit, that just helped to keep its economy from completely tanking, but as a native Detroiter I can tell you there are much more deep-seated problems with the region's economy and infrastructure that that did not address and that both local and federal governments still don't seem that interested in addressing)
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 14th November 2012 at 10:39 AM.

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  12. #27
    Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,319
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    States as a whole might not have those rates of poverty, but a lot of U.S. cities get close (for example, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit and Flint, MI were up there) as well as some very depressed rural areas (like the Mississippi Delta region). Some of them even have infrastructure problems (Detroit, again). The federal government hasn't seen much reason to help with that stuff recently, I'm not sure why they would feel the need to do anything about Puerto Rico just to admit it as a state.

    (and don't use the auto bailout as a counter-example in terms of Detroit, that just helped to keep its economy from completely tanking, but as a native Detroiter I can tell you there are much more deep-seated problems with the region's economy and infrastructure that that did not address and that both local and federal governments still don't seem that interested in addressing)
    Well if we have areas with that much problems, should we not focus on repairing those areas and not bring in a state which, from those numbers, suggest it is a third world state? I agree that we have not focused as much on infrastructure in the last decade, but that seems to be turning. As the President said on the campaign trail "It's time to stop building over there, and focus on building over here" or something to that effect. Furthermore I would thing there is atleast a minimum standard in terms of regulations that a area has to meet or else they receive money to reconstruct it.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

  13. #28
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    States as a whole might not have those rates of poverty, but a lot of U.S. cities get close (for example, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit and Flint, MI were up there) as well as some very depressed rural areas (like the Mississippi Delta region). Some of them even have infrastructure problems (Detroit, again). The federal government hasn't seen much reason to help with that stuff recently, I'm not sure why they would feel the need to do anything about Puerto Rico just to admit it as a state.

    (and don't use the auto bailout as a counter-example in terms of Detroit, that just helped to keep its economy from completely tanking, but as a native Detroiter I can tell you there are much more deep-seated problems with the region's economy and infrastructure that that did not address and that both local and federal governments still don't seem that interested in addressing)
    Well if we have areas with that much problems, should we not focus on repairing those areas and not bring in a state which, from those numbers, suggest it is a third world state? I agree that we have not focused as much on infrastructure in the last decade, but that seems to be turning. As the President said on the campaign trail "It's time to stop building over there, and focus on building over here" or something to that effect. Furthermore I would thing there is atleast a minimum standard in terms of regulations that a area has to meet or else they receive money to reconstruct it.
    Point taken. But maybe having to deal with a new state with such extreme poverty levels would help the U.S. government to see that they have a lot of urban and rural areas where conditions are not so different? Maybe I'm just being optimistic though.

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  14. #29
    Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,319
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Point taken. But maybe having to deal with a new state with such extreme poverty levels would help the U.S. government to see that they have a lot of urban and rural areas where conditions are not so different? Maybe I'm just being optimistic though.
    That is probably true I just can't see why we have to add to our problem before we can address it.

    And could please some one answer this: What does Puerto Rico offer us in return of becoming a state?

    In Alaska we got vast natural resources, in Hawaii we got a massive vacation destination that draws in billions. In Puerto Rico it seems we get... a third world country that needs fixing. Is there some upside to this I am not seeing other than adding a star?

  15. #30
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Puerto Rico Votes to Become 51st U.S. State

    If Puerto Rico really needs that much help then I say all the more reason to admit it as a state. If Puerto Rico becoming a state will help people there get out of poverty then I say let Puerto Rico become a state. We've spent a lot of tax dollars trying to fix countries that didn't ask us to fix them, why not invest in a place that is asking?
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    That's nice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •