SPORTS: Pregnant athlete to compete in Olympics

Thread: Pregnant athlete to compete in Olympics

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pregnant athlete to compete in Olympics

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo! Sports
    Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi will be shooting for two at the London Olympics.

The Malaysian shooter will be eight months pregnant when she's scheduled to participate in the 10m air rifle event this summer. Her doctors have given her the tentative OK to compete, as has her husband and Malaysian Olympic officials. Most importantly, Suryani feels she'll be ready.

"My aim is to compete," she told Reuters. "Maybe, at the end of June or whatsoever, if I have some problem that would jeopardize the baby inside me, I will reconsider whether I am going or not. But I feel I am strong and my husband says 'as long as you feel like that, energized to do that, it seems like that is your baby talking to you so you go.'"

Suryani qualified for the Games at the Asian Shooting Championships in January, days after finding out she was pregnant. She recognizes that some people will question her decision to compete -- family members and some in Malaysia already have -- but with the doctor's blessings, Suryani doesn't expect any problems.

"I will talk to the baby before I compete... 'no kicking, stay calm for one hour and 15 minutes only please,'" she said.

The nation's best shooter will make some concessions to her gestational state. She plans on leaving London before the Closing Ceremony since doctors recommend she not fly after 35 weeks. And she won't be competing in the 50m competition, even though she achieved the qualifying marks.

"Yeah, I cannot do a prone position with this big stomach," she said.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pregnant athlete to compete in Olympics

Good for her. I hope she wins, it'd be quite an interesting story.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And this, friends, is why the Olympics are awesome.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Wasn't there a pregnant woman who competed on the Canadian women's curling team at the Vancouver Olympics?

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

I don't have a problem with this, though I would if it was horseback-riding or some other strenuous sport.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)