Pope Benedict resigns. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pope Benedict resigns.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

We need a new vision for the church. Sadly Pope John Paul II did a through job in making sure the top hierchy of the church would be socially conservative so the choices will continue to have the same direction as the current one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    We need a new vision for the church. Sadly Pope John Paul II did a through job in making sure the top hierchy of the church would be socially conservative so the choices will continue to have the same direction as the current one.
    Problem is they can't with out violating the bible as it says in it the infallible word of god and must taken that way literally word for word and as result such things as lifting the ban on gay marriage is bad, the same for contraception and woman as clergy etc would be impossible as a result

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
    The Dalai Lama only started in the 1400s, the Pope goes all the way back to 0(or 33 depending on which you look at)
    Ah, I thought you were talking about longest held religious position after attaining it. Such as, the Pope usually has it until he dies, and the Dalai Lama usually has it from a young age.

For the people saying that the position of Pope is meaningless, that would be like saying that Archaic's position is meaningless. Both are the heads of their organizations, the Pope is the head of Catholicism (one religion out of many), and Archaic is the head of Bulbagarden (one fanbase out of many). It may seem like a wild comparison, but if the Pope were to step down and another wasn't appointed, then Catholicism would go crazy. There would be too many high ranking officials to make an effective administration. Same with Bulbagarden. Bulbapedia would start drifting apart in how it connects so well with Bulbanews and the forums, because everything has its own system of administration that eventually links back to Archaic and how he wishes for things to run. Obviously that won't happen since another webmaster would be chosen, just like another Pope will be chosen, but anything this large has an impact. Catholicism is one of the largest religions in the world. Bulbagarden is one of the largest Pokemon fan organizations/collective Pokemon websites in the world, if not the largest.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SHINY HEATRAN View Post
    Problem is they can't with out violating the bible as it says in it the infallible word of god and must taken that way literally word for word and as result such things as lifting the ban on gay marriage is bad, the same for contraception and woman as clergy etc would be impossible as a result
    The Catholic church isn't fundamentalist. Reality is that most people in the Holy See are just conservative.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As a catholic, i think the reason whyhe quit is because the pope knows the other shoe is going to drop and to get out while the good get going. also the vatican getting stuck by lightnong tice also makes me wonder if this is a sign og something big about to go down...

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    As a catholic, i think the reason whyhe quit is because the pope knows the other shoe is going to drop and to get out while the good get going. also the vatican getting stuck by lightnong tice also makes me wonder if this is a sign og something big about to go down...
    Tall buildings get struck by lightning all the time.
    DCM, H-con, Robo-Floatzel and 1 others like this.
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    Is your keyboard broke or something?
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Personally, I think that the fact that there was lightning strike on the Vatican not that long after the Pope resigned was purely coincidental, the Vatican Palace has a lightning rod on the top, and tall buildings, even churches, get struck by lightning all the time, so it's nothing special.

What is being talked about now is a long time doomsday prophecy called the Malachy Prophecy (or as Wikipedia calls it, the "Prophecy of the Popes"), which people are claiming that the next Pope might be the last Pope, the legendary "Peter the Roman". Though to be honest, I don't think it's true, considering the fact that 90% of the time, doomsday prophecies always end up being untrue, how many of Nostradamus's prophecies actually happened, and let's not forget the recent advent of the Mayan Calendar last year.

Even Wikipedia says it:
    The Catholic Encyclopedia, an independent American research company, has said that, even if the prophecy is genuine, which it doubts, there may still be many Popes between Peter the Roman and his predecessor on this list.
    The chance of the next Pope being the last one is a VERY small chance. And lets not forget that there are religions other than Catholicism, such as Orthodox Christianity, Shia and Sunni Islam, Buddhism, and countless others.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Eh, I'm sure that there's more going on behind the screens. But, it's his prerogative. Still, at least with Queen Beatrix, you know she's leaving someone competent on the throne ... The next pope? I'm pooping my pants.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    The Catholic church isn't fundamentalist. Reality is that most people in the Holy See are just conservative.
    Exactly - they don't take the Bible literally when it comes to evolution (official Vatican doctrine is that evolution happened, it's conservative Protestant churches that reject it). They also almost changed their mind on contraception with Vatican II.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    The next pope? I'm pooping my pants.
    This should be the eighth deadly sin.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post

That would mean a lotta behbies and elders heading for hell.

Blog Entries

I meant specifically pooping in your pants about who the next Pope is.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

That's like not being scared about who the next president of America is. Politicians there are bananas and they have a tendency to steamroll over countries they don't like, killing innocent people like they're videogame characters. You need someone on the top of the foodchain who you can trust. And I don't trust cardinals, or whatever, for as far as I can throw em.

Blog Entries

That's like not being scared about who the next president of America is. Politicians there are bananas and they have a tendency to steamroll over countries they don't like, killing innocent people like they're videogame characters. You need someone on the top of the foodchain who you can trust. And I don't trust cardinals, or whatever, for as far as I can throw em.
    The Pope doesn't have quite the impact of someone who actually plays a role in legislation, like the leader of a country that is composed of more than just Vatican officials. The Catholic Church's "brand" has also been badly damaged in the past decade by the child molestation scandals, which is why the most recent pope hasn't been able to have quite the impact on said world leaders that, say, Pope John Paul II did.

I'm also, you know, kind of joking. But I was kind of tipsy when I made that joke so who knows if it was actually funny?
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 24th February 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Exactly - they don't take the Bible literally when it comes to evolution (official Vatican doctrine is that evolution happened, it's conservative Protestant churches that reject it). They also almost changed their mind on contraception with Vatican II.
    Specifically, they accept evolution with the exception of special creation of the human soul.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast