Pope Benedict resigns.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pope Benedict resigns.

  1. #1
    Registered User blowsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56

    Default Pope Benedict resigns.

    His address:

    Dear Brothers,

    I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

    Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

    From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

    BENEDICTUS PP XVI
    Huge news, this hasn't happened in over 600 years.

  2. #2
    Silent in the trees. Kouzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    2,228
    Blog Entries
    113
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    This is shocking since never in my life have I witnessed a Pope resigning. All of the modern Popes were in office till their deaths. As a Catholic it's sad , but I understand how being 85 and leading an entire religious administration can be a big responsibility for someone that age. I personally hope that the next Pope can lead the Church strong. Well done Pope Benedict XVI!

  3. #3
    Registered User blowsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kouzan View Post
    This is shocking since never in my life have I witnessed a Pope resigning. All of the modern Popes were in office till their deaths. As a Catholic it's sad , but I understand how being 85 and leading an entire religious administration can be a big responsibility for someone that age. I personally hope that the next Pope can lead the Church strong. Well done Pope Benedict XVI!
    I'm not sure Benedict deserves a "well done"
    Owain likes this.

  4. #4
    Silent in the trees. Kouzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    2,228
    Blog Entries
    113
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by blowsave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouzan View Post
    This is shocking since never in my life have I witnessed a Pope resigning. All of the modern Popes were in office till their deaths. As a Catholic it's sad , but I understand how being 85 and leading an entire religious administration can be a big responsibility for someone that age. I personally hope that the next Pope can lead the Church strong. Well done Pope Benedict XVI!
    I'm not sure Benedict deserves a "well done"
    I say he deserves it. I know he had some troubles in the past with pedophilia and sexual abuse , but I'm not judging him for his past, but what he did while he was in office as Pope. As a Pope I personally think he did a pretty good job leading. While not as good as others, say Pope John Paul II, but he still good imo.

  5. #5
    Bulbasaur rocks. Period. Bulbajer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114
    Blog Entries
    7

    Visit Bulbajer's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    As a semi-practicing Catholic, I wasn't a huge fan of Benedict, but he certainly did some great things, and looks like this may be one of them.

    Bulbajer types interesting posts at the speed of light! Surrender to his refreshing sense of humor or prepare to fight!
    ~ ~ ~
    TCG collector, original series fan, and uncompromising Pokéshipper.
    Other fandoms: Teen Titans, Ranma 1/2, Sword Art Online, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    ~ ~ ~
    (James seeing Unown in M03) "I haven't seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed a personal ad."

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    ky
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Hell Im Protestant and im shocked. I hate to see him call its quits. Wonder who will take his place next?

  7. #7
    The Lone Wolf Duke Org Zen-Aku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    411
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    So we'll no longer have a Pope that looks like Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. Joking aside, Even though i Was raised a catholic i found while i found i loved the history of the church i just couldn't get past the hypocrisy of nearly every little doctrine they have from on gay marriage, to contraception and woman as clergy etc even though the bible says it must be taken literally word for word in it so that rules out all of them because the bible says its so.

  8. #8
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    11,005
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Ratzinger did a lot more about the paedophile scandal than John Paul II probably would have done (if he y'know, wasn't dead). However, it is my hope that come March, Ratzinger either:
    1) Willingly speaks to the relevant authorities about everything he knows and learned about the scandal during his time as the Pope.
    Or if that doesn't happen:
    2) More controversially, he is arrested and made to answer questions.
    Either way, this is a window of opportunity for more information about the horrific cover-up to come to light.

    I have to say though, it takes a lot for a person to finally admit that enough is enough and they no longer have the gusto to stay in a position such as that, so I will give him props for calling it quits now before he died in office, like every other pope in modern history.

  9. #9
    Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    4,275
    Blog Entries
    194

    Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    So if the Rebels had just let Palpatine keep ruling a little longer, he would have resigned? Wow.

    In all reality, Benedict was decent. Just like any other political or religious leader, he had his ups and downs and scandals. He seemed more... divided? ...confused? on issues than some other popes seemed to be.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

  10. #10
    I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Aspertia City
    Posts
    1,413
    Blog Entries
    66

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    When I first found out, I thought it was a really early April Fools joke until I read an article on a legit news page.

    Hope Benedict doesn't set a new precedent because the papacy is supposed to last for life. How poor is his health, anyway? JPII's health deteriorated before he died of natural causes and the news stayed on top of his condition in his final days. (not to mention he had a couple other health scares and survived an assassination attempt in the middle of his tenure)

  11. #11
    DCM
    DCM is offline
    Salt of the Earth DCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North of the Wall.
    Posts
    5,946
    Blog Entries
    891

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    1) Willingly speaks to the relevant authorities about everything he knows and learned about the scandal during his time as the Pope.
    Or if that doesn't happen:
    2) More controversially, he is arrested and made to answer questions.
    .
    Neither of these will happen. The very notion of this is ridiculous. You don't arrest a papal figure, the controversy surrounding such an action protects him. In the future, you'll probably see a lot more come to light concerning this, but to start calling for his arrest? Off base.
    Paperhorse and Mako like this.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

    W.W.

  12. #12
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    11,005
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man In Black View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    1) Willingly speaks to the relevant authorities about everything he knows and learned about the scandal during his time as the Pope.
    Or if that doesn't happen:
    2) More controversially, he is arrested and made to answer questions.
    .
    Neither of these will happen. The very notion of this is ridiculous. You don't arrest a papal figure, the controversy surrounding such an action protects him. In the future, you'll probably see a lot more come to light concerning this, but to start calling for his arrest? Off base.
    Sure, to do so while he is currently the Pope would be impossible from a PR stand point (and possibly even a political one considering how the Vatican is its own country), but surely he'd have zero legal immunity once he's quit?

    Maybe it will happen a few months down the line when the attention is away from him, but it needs to happen.

  13. #13
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    So a man steps down from a meaningless post. Nothing lost or gained from where I'm sitting.
    That's nice.

  14. #14
    Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    18,326
    Blog Entries
    660
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    So a man steps down from a meaningless post. Nothing lost or gained from where I'm sitting.
    I fail to see how the seat of the leader of the Catholic Church (and by extension head of state of Vatican City) is in any way meaningless.

  15. #15
    DCM
    DCM is offline
    Salt of the Earth DCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North of the Wall.
    Posts
    5,946
    Blog Entries
    891

    Default Re: Pope Benedict resigns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man In Black View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    1) Willingly speaks to the relevant authorities about everything he knows and learned about the scandal during his time as the Pope.
    Or if that doesn't happen:
    2) More controversially, he is arrested and made to answer questions.
    .
    Neither of these will happen. The very notion of this is ridiculous. You don't arrest a papal figure, the controversy surrounding such an action protects him. In the future, you'll probably see a lot more come to light concerning this, but to start calling for his arrest? Off base.
    Sure, to do so while he is currently the Pope would be impossible from a PR stand point (and possibly even a political one considering how the Vatican is its own country), but surely he'd have zero legal immunity once he's quit?

    Maybe it will happen a few months down the line when the attention is away from him, but it needs to happen.
    nope. Will not happen. Period. And putting pressure on people for it to happen is a waste of energy. When reports come out years down the line, they will come out. No one in their right mind would think to arrest a pope. Obama will not be arrested for the murders attributed to the Drones, nor will any governmental leader be forced to pay the crimes for their organization. Stop wasting your efforts and convert it into a positive force of change.
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

    W.W.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •