SCIENCE: Pluto's Fifth Moon Discovered - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pluto's Fifth Moon Discovered

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Pluto's Fifth Moon Discovered

That's an interesting fact to know - I didn't know that Pluto had four other moons along with Charon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Still not a planet.
    Still should be; that whole "Not a planet" thing was a stupid decision to begin with.
    I'm gonna disagree with you and say it was stupid to call it a planet in the first place.
    This. Calling Pluto a full-blown planet would be like calling every single celestial body that's revolving around the Sun a "planet".

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

I didn't know Pluto had any moon other than Charon, anyway.
    That was my reaction. I was basically "why did I not know when second through fourth was discovered"
    Also this.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Unova Castaway: I know perfectly well their reasoning.,

It was still an utterly unecessary decision from a science world/real world relation point of view, and a full-blown example of scientists being stuck in their ivory towers and not realizing they're not the only ones using these words. They could have invented a term to separate pluto from the rest without trying to hijack a commonly used word and redefine it in a jargon that makes fairly little sense to anyone who isn't an astronomy geek at the very least.
    Pluto is not a planet because other non planets are like Pluto. There, I just explained it. No PhD required.

Maybe if the public would actually consider why Pluto was declassified instead of being butthurt that something they learned in their elementary school science class no longer applies, they might actually learn something instead of remaining scientifically illiterate.

On a different but interesting note, this article makes the case that the Pluto-Charon system is a binary planet. Charon is 12% the mass of Pluto, and orbits very close (orbital period of about 6 and a half days) about a barycenter which is located outside the radius of Pluto. In kind, the remaining 4 moons revolve around this barycenter, so they are essentially orbiting the Pluto-Charon system, not Pluto itself.
    Last edited by TheMissingno.; 18th July 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheShuckpluff View Post
    On a different but interesting note, this article makes the case that the Pluto-Charon system is a binary planet. Charon is 12% the mass of Pluto, and orbits very close (orbital period of about 6 and a half days) about a barycenter which is located outside the radius of Pluto. In kind, the remaining 4 moons revolve around this barycenter, so they are essentially orbiting the Pluto-Charon system, not Pluto itself.
    Wasn't this one of the reasons why Pluto was declassified in the first place?
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J J M View Post

Wasn't this one of the reasons why Pluto was declassified in the first place?
    Nope, the possibility of being a binary planet had nothing to do with it.
    That's nice.

Another moon for the dwarf planet. Interesting.

Blog Entries

Visit Taco's Youtube Channel

Pluto became a dwarf planet after there were characteristics of a planet set. Because if Pluto was considered a planet, we would have to have also classified other (dwarf) planets like Ceres as planets in our Solar System.
    What you see is what you get! Just a guy
    who loves adventure. I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Stupid question but if its not a planetary body how do the revolving bodies get the status of "moon"? Honest question, its something that never made sense to me.

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Pluto has five moons and we only have one? What a crock.
    speedingbulletbill likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Sorry, folks, the nostalgia goggles are fused firmly to my face. I couldn't take 'em off even if I wanted to. So I'll consider Pluto a planet until the day I die. dealwithit.jpg

Also, count me among those who had no idea Pluto has so many satellites. That's actually pretty cool.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

The stupidest part of it all is the replacement name they found for it.

"It's not a planet, it's a DWARF planet".

So...a dwarf star is a small star, a dwarf galaxy is a small galaxy, a dwarf shrub is a short shrub, a dwarf angelfish is a small angelfish, a dwarf beaked snake is a small snake...

But, get this, a dwarf planet is not a planet.

Bravo, guys. WAY to be clear about things.

The original redefined proposal was far better, just needed a little improvement to deal with a few issue. The version they ultimately adopted was tripe dipped in shit layered with academic ego-centrism.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 21st July 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

I'm not sure why is this significant. Don't expect any life forms in this moon though.
    Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

The stupidest part of it all is the replacement name they found for it.

"It's not a planet, it's a DWARF planet".

So...a dwarf star is a small star, a dwarf galaxy is a small galaxy, a dwarf shrub is a short shrub, a dwarf angelfish is a small angelfish, a dwarf beaked snake is a small snake...

But, get this, a dwarf planet is not a planet.

Bravo, guys. WAY to be clear about things.

The original redefined proposal was far better, just needed a little improvement to deal with a few issue. The version they ultimately adopted was tripe dipped in shit layered with academic ego-centrism.
    Sounds like you're mad, and I don't understand why. Scientists do what they think is right based on the evidence available. Science changes sometimes when scientists realize that what they were doing before was not perfectly accurate.

At any rate, could you please lock this thread? It's not supposed to be an argument about Pluto's planethood.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

I'm keeping the thread open. Discussions change, and if people want to continue the futile debate about whether Pluto is a planet or a dwarf planet, they can go ahead.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Trophies
    Blog Entries

So be it.
    That's nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast