SCIENCE: Particles measured faster than the speed of light - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

  1. #31
    Disturb not the harmony Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,158

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Einstein wasn't "rong" after all.

    Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

  2. #32
    The World won't fail. Composer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    River,Higher Plane
    Posts
    678

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    They had the same problem that occured with the first GPS navigation systems. They shouldn't have been so pompous about it before checking everything. Einstein's revenge that was.

  3. #33
    The Creeping Darkness Tsuness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Northpoint, Usea
    Posts
    1,370
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Igzz View Post
    They had the same problem that occured with the first GPS navigation systems. They shouldn't have been so pompous about it before checking everything. Einstein's revenge that was.
    Who was pompous? o_o

    The scientists who did the experiment were hoping that someone would prove their experiment incorrect so that the laws of relativity wouldn't have to change. It was such a small detail that I'm sure no one really thinks about but made all the difference.
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

  4. #34
    Hψ=Eψ H-con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    63°25′50″N10°23′42″E
    Posts
    4,676
    Blog Entries
    52
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Einstein wasn't "rong" after all.
    +1 for reference, if that's a reference to what I think it is.


    Seems odd that they would forget about such a thing, but it's not like I blame them for making everything perfect and thinking of everything.

  5. #35
    Charizard fur MegaCharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ca,USA
    Posts
    311
    Blog Entries
    27
    Follow MegaCharr On Twitter
    Visit MegaCharr's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Well..This thread gets my hopes up...I know you can go faster then light because of common sense laws states that if tempurature can go up infinty so can energy output because as a "waste" for energy is tempurature but....but I do know not to get my hopes up yet about a future for our race yet...Good luck,to who ever did this,if this is true and correct,you could change the outcome of our race....Beleave me,That GOOD for all of us!


  6. #36
    Disturb not the harmony Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,158

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    @H-con, oh, it is :P

    Quote Originally Posted by MegamanDX View Post
    Well..This thread gets my hopes up...I know you can go faster then light because of common sense laws states that if tempurature can go up infinty so can energy output because as a "waste" for energy is tempurature
    Energy can theoretically approach infinity, but even then it's still impossible to break the light barrier under special relativity. The more mass an object has, the more inertia it has, so a more massive object takes more energy to accelerate by a certain amount than a less massive object. The thing is, since special relativity says that mass and energy are equivalent (E=mc2), energy also adds to an object's inertia. So that less massive object might be easy to accelerate at first, but once it gets going fast enough, it'll take a lot more energy to accelerate it by the same amount. The faster it goes, the more energy it takes. As the numbers work out, any object, with any amount of mass actually takes an infinite amount of energy to get up to the speed of light, thus, it's impossible.

    Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

  7. #37

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Energy can theoretically approach infinity, but even then it's still impossible to break the light barrier under special relativity. The more mass an object has, the more inertia it has, so a more massive object takes more energy to accelerate by a certain amount than a less massive object. The thing is, since special relativity says that mass and energy are equivalent (E=mc2), energy also adds to an object's inertia. So that less massive object might be easy to accelerate at first, but once it gets going fast enough, it'll take a lot more energy to accelerate it by the same amount. The faster it goes, the more energy it takes. As the numbers work out, any object, with any amount of mass actually takes an infinite amount of energy to get up to the speed of light, thus, it's impossible.
    That's all just a theory, though.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

    (Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

  8. #38
    Disturb not the harmony Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,158

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Of course. I meant that it's impossible under the framework of special relativity. General relativity provides some possible ways around the light barrier, and there very well could be a way to break it using physics that we don't yet understand.

    Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

  9. #39
    Very fruity and batty. Noivern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Don't look for it.
    Posts
    7,853
    Blog Entries
    195
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    heise online - Wirbel um Fehler bei den überschnellen Neutrinos

    Seems like the mystery is not solved yet. The source is German, but from other translations, it seems that the debunking itself has an error...

    We're back to square one...?
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

  10. #40
    Have a pancake. Green Zubat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,606
    Blog Entries
    20
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    That's all just a theory, though.
    You say it like its a bad thing; theory is the highest level of certainty in science.



    Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

  11. #41

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    You say it like its a bad thing; theory is the highest level of certainty in science.
    It is a bad thing. It's remarkably arrogant to assume something is the "highest level of certainty" after only barely a hundred years of consideration and thousands of years more of human existence. I'll believe that light speed is "top speed" in a few million years, thanks.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

    (Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

  12. #42
    Have a pancake. Green Zubat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,606
    Blog Entries
    20
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    It is a bad thing. It's remarkably arrogant to assume something is the "highest level of certainty" after only barely a hundred years of consideration and thousands of years more of human existence. I'll believe that light speed is "top speed" in a few million years, thanks.
    Science is founded on assumption. You can't definitively prove anything, only ponder what happened make an appropriate hyposthesis and then find as much evidence to support it as possible. If, at the end of the day, no one can find anything to refute your hypothesis then it can be accepted as theory - not the gospel truth, but theory - because there's always the possibility that something may eventually come to light that knocks your theory right out of the sky, in which case you need to find a new theory. Theories are the best you can hope to get in science. They can never be proved, only disproved - that is the scientific method.

    Take gravity, for instance. We all believe in it, use it to explain all sorts of things, from falling to planetary motions. However, there can never be any definitive proof that its there, that its real. There could always be something else going on. All we have is the evidence we can gather to support its existence (which, in gravity's case, is a lot). Even the most basic theories we accept as fact (even our own existences) have a tiny chance of being disproved later on. Nothing is 100% certain. Nevertheless, you can get damn close, and that's the point of theories; you might not be able to achieve 100% certainty, but 99.9% isn't bad either.

    A user on another forum I encountered put it best here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haelfix, physicsforum.com
    I don't think any theory is ever 'a fact'. There is always some (perhaps infinitisemally small) chance in principle that an experiment will disprove it. The apple might fly upward one day, who is to say it can't.

    For instance, perhaps nature has setup a timescale, such that after 13.8777777777 billion years, the laws of physics change.

    Still, I think most people will say, well there is something objective and 'factual' at the heart of it.. Its just that we can never identically know for sure if it is b/c of human ignorance.

    Newtonian physics, and other semi classical theories (like special and general relativity) have passed hundreds of thousands of experimental data points. We are nearly, but not quite, sure that they are indeed factual.

    GR [General Relativity] for instance, is probably correct at most scales, but even today, amongst active scientists there is some fiddling room at large extra galactic scales for some modifications. But if I was a betting man, I would put my money on the tried and true.
    So, to say something's a theory is quite the testament, to be honest. Saying something's "just a theory" demonstrates a lack of fundamental scientific knowledge.



    Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

  13. #43

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    So, to say something's a theory is quite the testament, to be honest. Saying something's "just a theory" demonstrates a lack of fundamental scientific knowledge.
    I understand scientific principles perfectly. In fact, my entire doubt of theories is based on what you just said: that theories have a chance of being proven wrong.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

    (Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

  14. #44
    Guardian of the Galaxy Peter Quill's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    33,947
    Blog Entries
    566

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    If this were the case, FTL travel would be theoretically possible. Not to mention it would break much of quantum physics as we know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

  15. #45
    Hero of the South Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    20,028
    Blog Entries
    684
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

    Default Re: Particles measured faster than the speed of light

    Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    Not too much of a big deal.
    It's an incredibly big deal, since it proves that travel beyond the speed of light is possible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •