Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Panetta: Israel will strike Iran within months

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Panetta: Israel will strike Iran within months

Panetta Concerned Israel Months From Striking Iran | Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is expressing new concerns about Iran's underground nuclear program, this time telling Washington Post columnist David Ignatius he's worried Israel may decide to attack it as early as this spring.

Traveling with the defense secretary in Brussels to cover his meeting with NATO defense ministers, Igantius writes, "Panetta believes there is a strong likelihood that Israel will strike Iran in April, May or June.”

This is the first time we've heard such a specific timeframe. Fox News has previously reported concerns from former members of President Obama's national security team that a unilateral strike from Israel could occur sometime in 2012.

Secretary Panetta and the administration have made clear in recent weeks that Iran would cross a "red line" by developing a bomb and that if that occurred all options, including military action, would be on the table.

But Israel is less patient. It appears Israeli officials' red line will occur when Iran develops the capacity to build a bomb. In other words, it appears they think by this spring Iran will have stockpiled enough highly enriched uranium to produce a nuclear warhead.

By that point it will be too late for Israel to act alone. Unlike the United States, Israel does not have the capacity to strike Iran's hardened enrichment facilities 200 feet underground. That, along with Iran's arsenal of missiles that can reach Israel, give reason for Panetta's concerns that Israel is ready to strike first.

There are essentially two methods for striking the underground facility. First is the newly developed Massive Ordnance Penetrator, known simply as the MOP. The largest of its kind, it's a 30,000 pound bunker-busting bomb designed to hit underground targets. Yet in a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Panetta acknowledged the MOP has some shortcomings and needs further development to reach areas as deeply buried as Iran's nuclear facility.

Since the MOP is the largest conventional weapon in the U.S. arsenal, the second option would likely involve using smaller-scale nuclear weapons. It's not a card the Obama administration would like to play, risking the legacy of the being the first president since Harry Truman to drop a nuclear bomb.

Another clue about Israel's intent was the sudden cancellation of a long-planned joint U.S.-Israeli military exercise that would have culminated in live fire drills this May. The Israelis apologized for postponing the exercises, and a Pentagon spokesmen said at the time of the cancellation that Israel explained it needed to postpone in order to "assume optimum participation," suggesting forces could be needed elsewhere.

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates sent warnings Tuesday about getting into a new war, telling CNN "if Iraq and Afghanistan has taught us anything in recent history, it is the unpredictability of war and that these things are easier to get into than to get out of."

He added, "This is, I think, one of the toughest foreign policy problems I have ever seen since entering the government 45 years ago."

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Panetta: Israel will strike Iran within months

They say this every couple years. Not saying it won't happen this time, but yeah.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

If they do, expect a firestorm in the Middle East.

However, looking at it from their perspective, I can understand why they would be considering the option. They feel they can't afford to risk a nation that has repeatedly cited a desire to wipe them "off the face of the earth" obtaining the ability to do so.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Like Iran would attack Israel even if they got nukes. I don't see how Iran would get backing from anyone if they attacked another country with nuclear weapons (except perhaps North Korea), and they would get it back pretty hard. Israel attacking Iran would be a more likely scenario, but for Israel's sake, I sure hope they don't. Sure, Iran has said they want to destroy Israel, doesn't mean it's a realistic goal.

I can understand why some would bring up the option, but it would be extremely foolish. North Korea has nukes, that doesn't mean they use them just because they have them, nor do I think that would be the case with Iran, at least unless Israel attacks them first.

Hey, let's attack ourselves! My mind is obviously tired today
    Last edited by H-con; 3rd February 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Like Iran would attack Iran even if they got nukes. I don't see how Iran would get backing from anyone if they attacked another country with nuclear weapons (except perhaps North Korea), and they would get it back pretty hard. Israel attacking Iran would be a more likely scenario, but for Israel's sake, I sure hope they don't. Sure, Iran has said they want to destroy Israel, doesn't mean it's a realistic goal.

I can understand why some would bring up the option, but it would be extremely foolish. North Korea has nukes, that doesn't mean they use them just because they have them, nor do I think that would be the case with Iran, at least unless Israel attacks them first.
    Sorry but that first sentence makes no sense. I think you mixed up your words because I highly doubt Iran would attack itself.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Tehran is smarter than to use nuclear bombs on a country as small as Israel. Israel would be positively devastated if Iran used a nuclear bomb on it, not to mention the option of dropping it on Jerusalem (but again, I think they're smarter than that), and Iran would seriously lose international clout and pretty much become universally detested if it did. I can understand how Israel could be worried, with this being Iran and all, but if Israel does strike first, prepare for yet another war in the Middle East.

In short, it would be bad practice for either side to do anything.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Like Iran would attack Israel even if they got nukes. I don't see how Iran would get backing from anyone if they attacked another country with nuclear weapons (except perhaps North Korea), and they would get it back pretty hard. Israel attacking Iran would be a more likely scenario, but for Israel's sake, I sure hope they don't. Sure, Iran has said they want to destroy Israel, doesn't mean it's a realistic goal.

Hey, let's attack ourselves! My mind is obviously tired today
    That would be wonderfully epic if Iran attacked North Korea. They would never win though =/
    That's nice.

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

You know... Iran calling Israel a cancerous tumor that will be cut, it really doesn't give me or probably the rest of the world hope that they won't nuke them.

Iran's Supreme Leader Threatens Israel, U.S. - Middle East - News - Israel National News

Or you know.. a missile that could reach the U.S.

Is Iran trying to develop a missile that could reach America? - CSMonitor.com

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Without captured Nazi rocket scientists? It'll never work.
    Big Lutz likes this.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    I'm pretty sure we have a defense system that can prevent missiles from hitting any major city, and if it does I bet the damage would be minimal.

Unless you're taking about a nuclear missile, but again I doubt it would have enough time to cross the ocean before being shot down or disabled in some way. They would have to take down the defense and security systems first, in my opinion, before being able to successfully do major damage to the United States.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I'm pretty sure we have a defense system that can prevent missiles from hitting any major city, and if it does I bet the damage would be minimal.

Unless you're taking about a nuclear missile, but again I doubt it would have enough time to cross the ocean before being shot down or disabled in some way. They would have to take down the defense and security systems first, in my opinion, before being able to successfully do major damage to the United States.
    That would be our missile defense shield, or well lack of one, this isn't the political forum so lets just say that we don't currently have one.

追放されたバカ

People on here saying that Iran wouldn't attack Israel because it would be detested by the global community baffle me. When has Iran ever really shown they give a damn about what the rest of the world thinks. For many of the Iranian religious establishment, the Ayatollah's etc, the destruction of Israel is the end goal, there is no consideration about events after that, the main focus for them is to wipe Israel off the map, cut the cancer as they say, they don't care about any sanctions we place on them, or care that not many like them as the aim of the game is to destroy Israel for them and if they accomplish that they win, there is no what happens after in their minds.

Blog Entries

Israel needs to attack Iran, because they are slowly becoming a nuclear threat to democratic countries (i.e. United States, Israel). We need to take them out before they become a real contender like North Korea (or possibly China, but we don't know, because they won't tell us.) President Ahmadinejad has publicly announced he wants to "wipe Israel off the map" in the past. Since they have approximately 1,195,000 personnel, active duty and reserve (according to wikipedia) they are quite the threat even without nuclear weapons, if they went on a campaign in the Middle East. Bottom line, they need to be dealt with. But, announcing it is NOT a good idea, people! Unfortounately, the current administration in the United States has proven they are unable to handle it. Hopefully that changes come November.
    ---The Team---

My rare PKMN Cards:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/1470679-post31.html
    My fanfiction: http://tinyurl.com/8a9st44

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

You really couldn't blame them if they do.

I mean, if somebody was holding a nuclear warhead over your head and had a cult of religious fanatics behind them, you would be pretty scared as well lol...

If they do, expect some serious stuff to hit the floor.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Iran would never nuke Israel. As crazy as you think the leadership of that nation is (and I'm certainly not saying they're sane by any means), they know that the United States would obliterate the entire nation within twenty minutes and leave nothing but ash where Tehran used to be.

Iran's plan is to obtain a nuclear weapon simply as a deterrent. If they obtain a weapon, Israel can't launch strikes against them for fear of nuclear retaliation.

So this doesn't mean much. Iran and Israel always keep the rhetoric up as a way to galvanize their own populace. Neither country can actually do anything approaching a concentrated military strike because of the international response.
    Lord Clowncrete likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast