Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

View Poll Results: Against or for it?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm all for it.

    3 15.00%
  • It might be dangerous, but I still think it's better to use it.

    6 30.00%
  • I can't make up my mind.

    3 15.00%
  • While it has some good aspects, I don't think we should use it

    5 25.00%
  • I'm totally against it.

    3 15.00%
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

  1. #1
    needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,111
    Blog Entries
    142

    Default Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    On one hand, it's very efficient. On the other, get it wrong, and the results could be disastrous. For me the pros outweigh the cons, and vice versa. So I'm on the fence about it. What about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

  2. #2
    Why not? JLomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA, Illinois
    Posts
    273
    Blog Entries
    20

    Follow JLomb on Tumblr

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    While nuclear fusion makes much more energy, it is indeed very wasteful, but with time hopefully (big emphasis on HOPE) they'll be able to find ways to power nuclear fusion that are less hazardous. As for cold fusion, it would be nice if it were possible within our lifetime lol
    Boosh!

    3DS FC: 3265-5253-3343

  3. #3
    You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Florida, land of OJ and AC
    Posts
    6,074
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Nuclear fission, I'm on the fence about. Nuclear fusion, I'm more supportive of.

  4. #4
    Soviet Bidoof Commander Xali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Nuclear fusion, I'm more supportive of.
    This, but only if we could make it efficient, say...like the sun lol.

    I'm just opposed to nuclear in general primarily due to the nuclear waste and the fact that it takes hundreds if not thousands of years to break down.

    I prefer solar energy because I know for a fact that the sun gives off more of it than we could possibly use. I like all the other renewable sources too, just not as much. I'd either go with those or a mice-powered generator for my radio

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cartoon_490.gif  
    From the PE2K URPG section.
    Yes I am a ref & yes, I made Soviet Bidoof

    Questions/Comments/Concerns --> Imperialpineaple on aim.

    SumerianRevenant 7:06 pm
    Ambipom @ 43.78% Par Spe+1 | Jolteon @ 88.62% Spe+1 | Moves?
    SR
    No
    I have done it both ways, multiple times
    And always get complaints either way
    SO FUUUUUUUU
    URPG Stats
    Challenge my PE2K URPG Gym: Sunyshore

  5. #5
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    I'm all for nukes. They really are the least harmful to the environment out of our options now. Wind and solar are of course less harmful, but the technology is not there yet enough for it to be implemented on a large scale. Nuclear is tried and true.

    The space used for storage of nuclear waste is minimal compared to the mountains destroyed by coal mining and the oceans contaminated by oil spills. France actually re-enriches their spent uranium (an expensive process, but doable nonetheless). Currently, All of the spent fuel is stored in house at the power plant in the United States.
    That's nice.

  6. #6
    I'm the scatman! AlexTheRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A sealed tomb
    Posts
    741
    Blog Entries
    53
    Follow AlexTheRose On Twitter
    Visit AlexTheRose's Youtube Channel

    Arrow Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Nulcear energy may be effecient, but I prefer hydrogen power (not hydroelectric, mind you) (even though it's virtually nonexistent in the US), as it is nearly as effecient as nuclear but has a much smaller disaster risk (if any at all) than the latter, probably because it works in the same fashion as the Sun.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    I'm all for nukes. They really are the least harmful to the environment out of our options now. Wind and solar are of course less harmful, but the technology is not there yet enough for it to be implemented on a large scale. Nuclear is tried and true.

    The space used for storage of nuclear waste is minimal compared to the mountains destroyed by coal mining and the oceans contaminated by oil spills. France actually re-enriches their spent uranium (an expensive process, but doable nonetheless). Currently, All of the spent fuel is stored in house at the power plant in the United States.
    You might want to take into consideration that nuclear power is only popular because people decided to use it. If solar energy was popular (i.e. profitable), then people would be using it. The problem is people are too hung up on oil and other harmful methods of electricity generation (such as coal and nuclear reactors) to look into it, which is why the consumer price of a solar panel is at a polar opposite with how much it costs to make them.
    —AlexTheRose

    The PokéSphere Forums!

  7. #7
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
    You might want to take into consideration that nuclear power is only popular because people decided to use it. If solar energy was popular (i.e. profitable), then people would be using it.
    People didn't just one day wake up and decide hey, lets use nuclear power because we feel like it. Nuclear power was developed for very good reasons. You don't just throw the kind of money that nuclear power costs at something without good reason. The fact is that solar technology is just not at the point where it is justifiable to build large arrays.

    The problem is people are too hung up on oil and other harmful methods of electricity generation (such as coal and nuclear reactors) to look into it, which is why the consumer price of a solar panel is at a polar opposite with how much it costs to make them.
    You say that nuclear reactors are "harmful," and yet you don't say why they are. They are actually quite clean.
    That's nice.

  8. #8
    I'm the scatman! AlexTheRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A sealed tomb
    Posts
    741
    Blog Entries
    53
    Follow AlexTheRose On Twitter
    Visit AlexTheRose's Youtube Channel

    Arrow Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
    You might want to take into consideration that nuclear power is only popular because people decided to use it. If solar energy was popular (i.e. profitable), then people would be using it.
    People didn't just one day wake up and decide hey, lets use nuclear power because we feel like it. Nuclear power was developed for very good reasons. You don't just throw the kind of money that nuclear power costs at something without good reason. The fact is that solar technology is just not at the point where it is justifiable to build large arrays.

    The problem is people are too hung up on oil and other harmful methods of electricity generation (such as coal and nuclear reactors) to look into it, which is why the consumer price of a solar panel is at a polar opposite with how much it costs to make them.
    You say that nuclear reactors are "harmful," and yet you don't say why they are. They are actually quite clean.
    I didn't mention why because I thought it was glaringly obvious why they're so dangerous: They leave behind a bunch of toxic spent nuclear fuel that won't decompose for at least another millenia, and is sitting inside a cascade of containers rotting in the Pacific Islands.

    And you may not have mentioned a reason why, but my reason why people use nuclear power is because it was nearly unparallelled in effeciency. People aren't using hydrogen power because some corporate giant is sitting on the patent and waiting for someone to develop it so they don't have to spend money finding a market for it.
    —AlexTheRose

    The PokéSphere Forums!

  9. #9
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
    I didn't mention why because I thought it was glaringly obvious why they're so dangerous: They leave behind a bunch of toxic spent nuclear fuel that won't decompose for at least another millenia, and is sitting inside a cascade of containers rotting in the Pacific Islands.

    And you may not have mentioned a reason why, but my reason why people use nuclear power is because it was nearly unparallelled in effeciency. People aren't using hydrogen power because some corporate giant is sitting on the patent and waiting for someone to develop it so they don't have to spend money finding a market for it.
    This comment leads me to conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about. Almost everything you've said just now is untrue. Spent fuel (in the United States anyway) is, as of right now, stored in the power plant in which it was used. Spent fuel poses no environmental danger at all. It just sits there.

    I'm not really sure what you mean by "hydrogen power." If you mean nuclear fusion, the technology is not there yet. Do you mean just burning hydrogen gas? That is definitely not feasible for large scale production of electricity.
    That's nice.

  10. #10
    I'm the scatman! AlexTheRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A sealed tomb
    Posts
    741
    Blog Entries
    53
    Follow AlexTheRose On Twitter
    Visit AlexTheRose's Youtube Channel

    Arrow Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
    I didn't mention why because I thought it was glaringly obvious why they're so dangerous: They leave behind a bunch of toxic spent nuclear fuel that won't decompose for at least another millenia, and is sitting inside a cascade of containers rotting in the Pacific Islands.

    And you may not have mentioned a reason why, but my reason why people use nuclear power is because it was nearly unparallelled in effeciency. People aren't using hydrogen power because some corporate giant is sitting on the patent and waiting for someone to develop it so they don't have to spend money finding a market for it.
    This comment leads me to conclude that you have no idea what you're talking about. Almost everything you've said just now is untrue. Spent fuel (in the United States anyway) is, as of right now, stored in the power plant in which it was used. Spent fuel poses no environmental danger at all. It just sits there.

    I'm not really sure what you mean by "hydrogen power." If you mean nuclear fusion, the technology is not there yet. Do you mean just burning hydrogen gas? That is definitely not feasible for large scale production of electricity.
    Spent fuel may be stored at the plant, but what happens when the plant gets full? Nuclear by-products are classified as a high-level radioactive waste, and sites that store it are marked with this, the standard ISO Radiation label, which looks like this:


    Now tell me: Does that honestly and seriously look safe to you?


    Also, you may want to read the Wikipedia articles on Hydrogen fuel and Nuclear waste to inform yourself.
    —AlexTheRose

    The PokéSphere Forums!

  11. #11
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    It is extremely safe when it's behind ten feet of concrete, which it is.

    In reference to your last sentence, yes, I have read those articles. Have you? If you had read the one on hydrogen fuel you would know that it "can provide motive power for cars, boats and airplanes, portable fuel cell applications or stationary fuel cell applications, which can power an electric motor." The article says nothing about it being used for large scale energy production. Why? Because it's not good for large scale energy production. I'll briefly explain why.

    First, in order to burn hydrogen you need to produce large quantities of it. This is done mainly through the electrolysis of water, which itself requires energy. It would take at least as much energy to perform this electrolysis as you get from the hydrogen combustion. Of course that was all explained in the article you sent me, if you had bothered to read it.

    Second, you need long term hydrogen storage. This is a problem because hydrogen has such a small mass that it slowly leaks out of the spaces between the molecules of whatever tank it's being stored in. Therefore your power plant will be operating at even more of a loss.
    Last edited by Kakuna Matata; 15th March 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    That's nice.

  12. #12
    I'm the scatman! AlexTheRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A sealed tomb
    Posts
    741
    Blog Entries
    53
    Follow AlexTheRose On Twitter
    Visit AlexTheRose's Youtube Channel

    Arrow Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    It is extremely safe when it's behind ten feet of concrete, which it is.

    In reference to your last sentence, yes, I have read those articles. Have you? If you had read the one on hydrogen fuel you would know that it "can provide motive power for cars, boats and airplanes, portable fuel cell applications or stationary fuel cell applications, which can power an electric motor." The article says nothing about it being used for large scale energy production. Why? Because it's not good for large scale energy production. I'll briefly explain why.

    First, in order to burn hydrogen you need to produce large quantities of it. This is done mainly through the electrolysis of water, which itself requires energy. It would take at least as much energy to perform this electrolysis as you get from the hydrogen combustion. Of course that was all explained in the article you sent me, if you had bothered to read it.

    Second, you need long term hydrogen storage. This is a problem because hydrogen has such a small mass that it slowly leaks out of the spaces between the molecules of whatever tank it's being stored in. Therefore your power plant will be operating at even more of a loss.

    Also, I'll leave you with a small tip. Don't tell someone you're debating to "inform yourself." It's extremely rude and condescending, especially when you really don't know what you're talking about in the first place.
    If not hydrogen, there's always wind power, solar power, wave power, and geothermal power to look into. Hydrogen was my personal favorite.

    All in all, I think nuclear power is a bad idea because of the irrevocable waste it produces – radioactive waste, concealed or not, will take thousands of years to decompose, and the only way to rid the planet of this undisposable waste is to first stop nuclear power production and the production of its waste, and then sit out the two to three millenia for our existing waste to decompose.
    —AlexTheRose

    The PokéSphere Forums!

  13. #13
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    I know, you already said that. You've said your lines, I've refuted them, and now you're repeating them in a futile effort to make them mean something. Properly stored radioactive waste does not hurt anyone. End of story.
    That's nice.

  14. #14
    Want them in PokeMart? Rare Candy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cherrygrove City
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Nuclear power - are you for it or against it?

    The world would be fair only if fists were used. :P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •