DIPLOMACY: North Korea Threatens to Nuke Washington Over Sanctions - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: North Korea Threatens to Nuke Washington Over Sanctions

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: North Korea Threatens to Nuke Washington Over Sanctions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Naarghul View Post
    Against North Korea itself, we rolled right over them. It was China that turned it into a trench war. The difference now and then is that North Korea has a military that's worth something now where before we were rolling over a tattered army using scraps given to them by the Soviet Union.
    The MiG-15 was actually pretty successful in defending North Korean skies.
    That's nice.

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

US flies nuclear-capable B-52 bombers over South Korea amid rising tensions with North Korea | Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    WASHINGTON – The United States is flying nuclear-capable B-52 bombers on training missions over South Korea to highlight Washington's commitment to defend an ally amid rising tensions with North Korea, Pentagon officials said Monday.

Pentagon press secretary George Little said one B-52 flew over South Korea on March 8, and the deputy defense secretary, Ashton Carter, said during a visit to Seoul that another bomber mission is scheduled for Tuesday.

B-52 bombers are capable of launching nuclear-armed cruise missiles, but Little said those participating in the Korean exercise are not armed with nuclear weapons.

The use of Air Force warplanes as part of an annual U.S.-South Korean military exercise called Foal Eagle is not unusual. But the Pentagon used the occasion to draw attention to the role B-52 bombers play as part of an American nuclear "umbrella" over South Korea and Japan -- both of which feel threatened by North Korea's development of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

"We're deeply concerned about North Korean behavior and rhetoric," Little told reporters.

In a more dramatic demonstration of that concern, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Friday announced that the U.S. is beefing up its defenses against a potential North Korean missile attack on the U.S. He said that over the coming four years the Pentagon will add 14 missile interceptors to the 26 it already has in place at Fort Greely, Alaska, at an estimated cost of $1 billion.

Hagel cited three recent developments in North Korea that prompted the Obama administration to act, including a nuclear test in February deemed reckless by Washington and condemned by the United Nations Security Council.

Hagel also cited Pyongyang's launch in December of a rocket that put a satellite into orbit and demonstrated mastery of some of the technologies needed to produce a long-range nuclear missile. And he noted that last April the North Koreans put on public display a road-mobile intercontinental ballistic missile, the KN-08. Navy Adm. James Winnefeld Jr., vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that missile is believed to be capable of reaching U.S. territory.

Although not mentioned by Hagel, the North Koreas raised tensions further by threatening last Thursday to pre-emptively attack the U.S. Among its recent declarations, North Korea has said it will no longer recognize the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War, though it has made such remarks before.

Carter said in Seoul on Monday that he discussed with South Korean officials the North's "continued pattern of provocative actions" and offered assurances that the budget crisis in Washington will not weaken the U.S. military commitment to South Korea.

North Korea routinely condemns U.S. and South Korean military exercises as provocations and unwarranted preparations for war.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Blog Entries

So basically this has begun to descend into a "You fire first!" "No, you!" situation. Except the US doesn't have their gun drawn and is in full kevlar while North Korea has a finger on the the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    ...Though, they do say that wars aren't won on manpower or money, but food. The fact that more than half of the country's population is starving to death and their farms are falling into ruin tells me they may not have the resources to keep their massive army fed long enough to keep a war going for long. We could probably just declare war on them, mobilize some troops to the border and watch them panic themselves into starvation as they try to bunker up and play their little defensive game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Yamamoto
    In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success.
    Except, probably what, a month, half, what with the inevitable sanctions against them and the withdraw of support from any side.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    What makes this scary is that North Korea is now led by a young man likely eager to prove himself on the world stage. That means he's extremely unpredictable. All of our assumptions are based on North Korea's behavior under Kim Jong-il. Kim Jong-un reportedly (Or at least claimed to have) erased his father's regime shortly after taking power. Therefore, North Korea is now a devil we don't know. There's no telling what North Korea will do.
    Writing off North Korea is dangerous.

North Korea cuts key military hotline with South Korea | Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News

SEOUL, South Korea – Raising tensions with South Korea yet again, North Korea cut a military hotline that has been essential in operating the last major symbol of inter-Korean cooperation: an industrial complex in the North that employs hundreds of workers from the South.

There was no immediate word about what cutting one of the few remaining official North-South links would mean for South Korean workers who were at the Kaesong industrial complex. When the link was last cut, in 2009, many South Koreans were stranded in the North.

The hotline shutdown is the latest of many threats and provocative actions from North Korea, which is angry over U.S.-South Korean military drills and recent U.N. sanctions punishing it for its Feb. 12 nuclear test. In a statement announcing the shutdown, the North repeated its claim that war may break out any moment.

Outside North Korea, Pyongyang's actions are seen in part as an effort to spur dormant diplomatic talks to wrest outside aid, and to strengthen internal loyalty to young leader Kim Jong Un and build up his military credentials.

South Korean officials said that about 750 South Koreans were in Kaesong on Wednesday, and that the two Koreas had normal communications earlier in the day over the hotline when South Korean workers traveled back and forth to the factory park as scheduled.

Workers at Kaesong could also be contacted directly by phone from South Korea on Wednesday.

A South Korean worker for Pyxis, a company that produces jewelry cases at Kaesong, said in a phone interview that he was worried about a possible delay in production if cross-border travel is banned again.

"That would make it hard for us to bring in materials and ship out new products," said the worker, who wouldn't provide his name because of company rules.

The worker, who has been in Kaesong since Monday, said he wasn't scared.

"It's all right. I've worked and lived with tension here for eight years now. I'm used to it," he said.

Pyongyang's action was announced in a message that North Korea's chief delegate to inter-Korean military talks sent to his South Korean counterpart.

Seoul's Unification Ministry called the move an "unhelpful measure for the safe operation of the Kaesong complex."

North Korea recently cut a Red Cross hotline with South Korea and another with the U.S.-led U.N. command at the border between the Koreas. The Unification Ministry said only three telephone hotlines remain between the North and South, and those are used only for exchanging information about air traffic.

Kaesong is operated in North Korea with South Korean money and know-how and a mostly North Korean work force. It provides badly needed hard currency in North Korea, where many face food shortages.

Other examples of joint inter-Korean cooperation have come and gone. The recently ended five-year tenure of hard-line South Korean President Lee Myung-bak saw North-South relations plunge. Lee ended an essentially no-strings-attached aid policy to the North.

North Korea last cut the Kaesong line in 2009, as a protest to that year's South Korean-U.S. military drills. North Korea refused several times to let South Korean workers commute to and from their jobs, leaving hundreds stranded in North Korea. The country restored the hotline and reopened the border crossing more than a week later, after the drills were over.

Shinwon Group, a South Korean apparel maker with a factory at Kaesong, said it would call its workers on Thursday morning to check on them. Shinwon's South Korean employees stay in Kaesong for two weeks before returning to Seoul. Workers at Kaesong talked by phone with the Seoul office Wednesday morning, but there was nothing unusual about the call, said spokesman Lee Eun-suk.

Lee said that the last time the phone line was cut off between Kaesong and Seoul, it was "inconvenient" but did not affect business.

North Korea's actions have been accompanied by threatening rhetoric, including a vow to launch a nuclear strike against the United States and a repeat of its nearly two-decade-old threat to reduce Seoul to a "sea of fire." Outside weapons analysts, however, have seen no proof that the country has mastered the technology needed to build a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a missile.

In a sign of heightened anxiety, Seoul briefly bolstered its anti-infiltration defense posture after a South Korean border guard hurled a hand grenade and opened fire at a moving object several hours before sunrise Wednesday. South Korean troops later searched the area but found no signs of infiltration, and officials believe the guard may have seen a wild animal, according to Seoul's Defense Ministry.
    The fact of the matter is, we are on a razor's edge. It wouldn't take very much for a full scale war to break out.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

The problem's not so much that North Korea can win the war, though- that's obviously not going to happen. The Koreas will be reunified assuming no Chinese involvement. However, the question then will be is what will be left a radioactive husk. Seoul? Pyongyang? Tokyo? Washington, D.C.? Perhaps even Beijing (for betraying NK) or Vladivostok? There's no telling, and that's the real trouble here.
    Mintaka and Misato Katsuragi like this.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

The DPRK has been threatened countless times by the US and its running dogs. They were threatened repeatedly during the Korean War of US nuclear strikes, US nukes used to be in south Korea aimed at the north and the constant US military exercises in the area are unnecessary provocations. Good on north Korea for standing up for themselves, they have a right to be angry. Surely everyone must be able to see the hypocrisy of the UN sanctions. America has no business on the Korean peninsula.

Anyway, conflict won't occur unless the US or its lackeys force it. There's nothing to fear from the DPRK; I only know of one country degenerate enough to use nuclear weapons on fellow human beings.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by 99unownoak View Post
    America has no business on the Korean peninsula.
    Except, y'know, their ally there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    And I suppose you think they had business in Vietnam? And the several dozen other countries they've invaded or interfered in their domestic matters with over the past six decades.

It shouldn't be anything to do with America with what goes on in Korea. ROK has many friends and allies but that doesn't mean they have to station troops there. It's just the same old American policy of policing the world.
    Last edited by 99unownoak; 30th March 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

And I suppose you think they had business in Vietnam? And the several dozen other countries they've invaded or interfered in their domestic matters with over the past six decades.

It's shouldn't be anything to do with America with what goes on in Korea. ROK has many friends and allies but that doesn't mean they have to station troops there. It's just the same old American policy of policing the world.
    Having read several graphic accounts from North Korean refugees regarding life in the Dear Leader's gulags, I beg to differ.

That said, I don't know if anyone else's seen this yet, but North Korea has apparently entered an (official) state of war with South Korea, and is further threatening to "dissolve" the US, so it looks like America might not have much choice, soon (well, that is assuming that Chubby-chan's threats are for reals this time). On the bright side, I hear that South Korea may soon be getting a new swimming pool.
    97SaturnSL1 likes this.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

While I am a firm believer that the US should've stayed out of a lot of things (which would've prevented Cuba from being Communist, Vietnam from being poor, Saddam Husain and other dictators from taking power, and the Arabs from hating our guts), Korea is one of the few cases, in fact the only case, where we need to have a little more control. South Korea and the US are strong allies, and war should be a big concern.

However, I'm not worried at all about an impending nuclear attack; we all saw exactly how well their rockets have done. There's nothing to fear except a couple of North Koreans accidentally nuking themselves in a misfire.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post

It's shouldn't be anything to do with America with what goes on in Korea. ROK has many friends and allies but that doesn't mean they have to station troops there. It's just the same old American policy of policing the world.
    Having read several graphic accounts from North Korean refugees regarding life in the Dear Leader's gulags, I beg to differ.

That said, I don't know if anyone else's seen this yet, but North Korea has apparently entered an (official) state of war with South Korea, and is further threatening to "dissolve" the US, so it looks like America might not have much choice, soon (well, that is assuming that Chubby-chan's threats are for reals this time). On the bright side, I hear that South Korea may soon be getting a new swimming pool.
    So America needs to interfere in Korean affairs because of claims of mistreatment being inflicted upon the north Koreans? Injustices are committed all over the world but America picks and chooses; I'm sure accounts from people in Abu Ghraib prison and Guantanamo Bay would also be saddening. America didn't say a thing against the US-backed dictators of southern Korea when they abused power. I'm not saying things a perfect in the DPRK (though I'm confident circumstances aren't as bad as western propaganda insist), I'm just pointing out the double-standard hypocrisy that's occurring and suggesting that America shouldn't police the world.

Blog Entries

Actually, I'm surprised we're as active as we are in Korea.

After all, they don't have any oil. Why should we bother?
    99unownoak likes this.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The DPRK has been threatened countless times by the US and its running dogs. They were threatened repeatedly during the Korean War of US nuclear strikes, US nukes used to be in south Korea aimed at the north and the constant US military exercises in the area are unnecessary provocations. Good on north Korea for standing up for themselves, they have a right to be angry. Surely everyone must be able to see the hypocrisy of the UN sanctions. America has no business on the Korean peninsula.

Anyway, conflict won't occur unless the US or its lackeys force it. There's nothing to fear from the DPRK; I only know of one country degenerate enough to use nuclear weapons on fellow human beings.
    I highly doubt that South Korea invaded the north on June 25, 1950 that instiagted this whole mess... THE NORTH STARTED THE WAR! THe USA does have buisness in the Peninsula because the war never ended... it was in Neutral for 60 years and just shifted into first gear. North Korea oppresses and starves its people in labor camps. South korea and Japan (the big US allies in the area) Would be nothing compared to what they are today with out the USA also that there are agreements that if SK or Japan are attacked it is considered an attack against the US (the USA is 100% responcible for defending Japan Militarly since after WWII) . but if a country is willing to wage NUCLEAR WAR over ECONOMIC SANCTIONS then there is definatly a coulpe bearings that need replaced. Iran was hot with crippling economic sanctions and they arent waging war... THe USA hasnt done drills for many years over there. Kim is scared because he knows he is cornered and knows he cant win and his food aid has been cut off. THe US wont force any conflict due to China and Russia

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post

I highly doubt that South Korea invaded the north on June 25, 1950 that instiagted this whole mess... THE NORTH STARTED THE WAR! THe USA does have buisness in the Peninsula because the war never ended... it was in Neutral for 60 years and just shifted into first gear. North Korea oppresses and starves its people in labor camps. South korea and Japan (the big US allies in the area) Would be nothing compared to what they are today with out the USA also that there are agreements that if SK or Japan are attacked it is considered an attack against the US (the USA is 100% responcible for defending Japan Militarly since after WWII) . but if a country is willing to wage NUCLEAR WAR over ECONOMIC SANCTIONS then there is definatly a coulpe bearings that need replaced. Iran was hot with crippling economic sanctions and they arent waging war... THe USA hasnt done drills for many years over there. Kim is scared because he knows he is cornered and knows he cant win and his food aid has been cut off. THe US wont force any conflict due to China and Russia
    America shouldn't have entered the war to begin with as it was a domestic affair with the north trying to unify the divided country and put an end to the unending border conflicts. I don't dispute that the north Koreans crossed the parallel on June 25th 1950.

Saying that north Korea oppresses and starves its people in labor camps is an incorrect generalisation for obvious reasons.

Perhaps Japan and Korea would be different without the USA - Korea could still be part of the Japanese Empire.

Has the DPRK launched nuclear war over sanctions? Of course not. Though they have a right to be angry over the sanctions. Besides the obvious hypocrisy of the sanctions being thrust upon the DPRK by nations that indulge in what they are themselves denouncing, the sanctions won't do anything except for harm the citizens of the DPRK and further infuriate and strengthen the government. The sanctions will fail just as they've failed in the past. Sanctions aren't the answer.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast