DIPLOMACY: North Korea launches long-range rocket

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Green Zubat

Thread: North Korea launches long-range rocket

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Default North Korea launches long-range rocket

Can't believe no one's posted this yet ...

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News Asia
    North Korea has launched a long-range rocket, South Korean news sources have reported.

A previous launch in April failed when the rocket broke up after take-off.

North Korea says it plans to put a satellite into space, but many countries believe the tests are a cover for weapons development.

The US and other nations had previously warned the launch would constitute a test of long-range missile technology banned under UN resolutions.

South Korean television network YTN said the rocket was launched from a site on the west coast of the North.

The Japanese government, which put its armed forces on alert ahead of the launch, said the missile appears to have passed over Okinawa.

It said it had not attempted to intercept the rocket.

The rocket was scheduled to pass between the Korean peninsula and China, with a second stage coming down off the Philippines before launching the satellite into orbit.
    Source

What does everyone think. Is this something to be worried about? I'm a little anxious that this could be a precursor to a much greater conflict, personally ...

EDIT: Small update:

Last edited by Green Zubat; 12th December 2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: North Korea launches long-range rocket

I say congrats North Korea. I'm willing to congratulate any country that joins the space faring community, it's not an easy thing to do (rocket science and all that).

As far as the whole ICBM thing goes, the United States has minuteman rockets armed with nuclear weapons that can be launched to any place on the planet at a moment's notice, and I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge in Pyongyang. If I were Korean or Japanese maybe I'd be slightly more worried, but we know that they already had medium range ballistic missiles which could reach those places so I don't really see how this adds to the threat.
    That's nice.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

North Korea's been rambling about war for years, so the international community is right to be on edge. However, as it stands they're a minimal threat at best. Best to keep an eye on them, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I'm surprised that they actually succeeded, and I'm even MORE surprised that it actually WAS a satellite launch and not an attack rocket. But we're not sure what KIND of satellite they have put into space, we have no idea if this is just their Sputnik or a spy satellite to spy on America and it's allies, only time will tell what Kim Jong-Un and his cronies have planned...

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    North Korea's been rambling about war for years, so the international community is right to be on edge. However, as it stands they're a minimal threat at best. Best to keep an eye on them, but I wouldn't worry too much.
    North Korea is and has been obsessed with war for over 65 years, there have been people who have compared it to Nazi Germany in the past, alongside it's buddy Iran, both just want "Death to America".
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    North Korea is and has been obsessed with war for over 65 years, there have been people who have compared it to Nazi Germany in the past, alongside it's buddy Iran, both just want "Death to America".
    Most of that is just hollow rhetoric, though, to condition the people to hate the West and America in particular. They're not stupid enough to pick a fight anytime soon.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Everything has been compared to Nazis though. Nazi comparisons are OU to the point of meaninglessness.
    That's nice.