• 2 Post By Evil Figment

Thread: NHL Lockout

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default NHL Lockout

On ice: NHL locks out its players - Yahoo! News

As for details as to why this is happening: NHL lockout: What you need to know - Yahoo! News

I'm a huge hockey fan and this is really disappointing to me :(

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NHL Lockout

Gary Bettman's answer when asked if he had a message to the fan - or the lack of thereof - is all you need to know about hockey.

He doesn't give a shit about the sport or its fans. To him, it's only a business like any others.
    TheCapsFan and Mako like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

I am so pisssed about this right now, I'm not even going to talk about it. But I agree with Figment.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I don't even care that much about hockey, but wow, what a dick move.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Bettman is simply awful at his job. Like god awful.

So who's up for picking KHL teams? I know @Araragi Hakase; already has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

I can't say that I'm surprised that this is playing out the way it is. Gary Bettman was always pro-owner/pro-money more than he ever was for the players.

I also heard rumors that in lieu of NHL games, many networks may begin to show the AHL affiliate games.

And, yup, I already have a KHL team :P Evgeni Malkin, who plays for the Penguins, is going back to play for his old KHL team, Metallurg, and Sidney Crosby may join him in December if the lockout persists. A lot of players are signing with KHL teams and elsewhere, and should the lock out come to an end, they will return to their respective NHL teams.

Blog Entries

Most of my Habs are signing over in Switzerland, so no Russian favorite yet. We'll see.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

In other news, there's growing reports that there may actually be some hockey in North America this year - Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais appear to be putting together a Hockey Caravan project. Two-four teams (if two, representing Montreal and Quebec, if four, Ottawa and Toronto also) of their friends and such, playing games in Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa and the surroundings. Reports have it Patrice Bergeron, M-A Fleury, Dany Brière, Antoine Vermette, Guillaume Latendresse, David Perron, Claude Giroux, Erik Cole, Josh Gorges, Lars Eller and Carey Price are all interested and/or have already joined. (And reports have it Max is trying to talk Sid into joining in)

Another, (and perhaps related?) thing to consider: the Stanley Cup. Back last lockout, it was under exclusive NHL control. This isn't the case anymore; after last lockout it was established during a court battle (that ended in settlement) that in the event of a canceled NHL season, the cup could be awarded to non-NHL teams.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 18th September 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Tim

This is just infuriating. Since a previous post mentioned how NHL Commish is pro-owner, I won't find it hard to believe if The Original Six instigated the lockout, especially when the Los Angeles Kings, a West Coast expansion team, is the reigning Stanley Cup Champion.
    1. I thought Gardenia is a Grass-type fangirl; in addition, I could've sworn that she had a shippy Nando-centric flashback when the latter got framed.

2. I'm tired of seeing Brock, being the designated eunuch of the show. As a result, I would love to see this OT3 to happen:

Lucy x Brock x Holly

Blog Entries

Nice conspiracy theory, but think again.

Three of the original six are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders on their own, and gain nothing from delaying by a season. (Chicago, Boston, New York)
    In fact, two of them won the last two cups before the Kings. (Chicago, Boston)
    Two more of them don't=NEED to be contenders: even as basement dweller, they're still the two most profitable teams in the NHL (Montreal, Toronto). Between the two of them, they're looking at losing around 100-150 millions in operating profit from the lockout.
    These two, for that matter, are under brand new owners who are still buding their influence among the owners.

No; the reason this is happenign is Gary Bettman's Southern Expansion policy. The newer American teams are starving for money, the richer teams are not willing to share their profits, and Gary Bettman is not willing to abandon a few of those less-than-profitable markets. (See: Phoenix).
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 18th September 2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Take It Easy, Chicken Virtual-Z's Avatar

Sucks that the season will be locked out. Since the league was locked out in 2004-2005, I wonder, why does Bettman still have his job? Regardless, I still try not to look at the "political" side of hockey.

In AHL cities such as mine (St. John's IceCaps), the hockey will be even better, so, great. I'm even more excited for this AHL season than I am normally.

As for the NHL, I don't give a shit if it's the type of league that will lock itself out every few years. Fuck them. And it's probably best that no one cares.

Blog Entries

I don't have a KHL team but I have a Sweedish team. HC Davos. Nash & Thornton will tear it up and win Davos another title.