New York plans to ban large sodas
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York plans to ban large sodas

Default New York plans to ban large sodas

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hp

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
    More in the link at the top.

☭ The Great Uniter ☭ Mißingnåen's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New York plans to ban large sodas

I just read about this. It is stupid, pointless, and will not reduce obesity.
    Fyrirgefðu

Now I can finally have a triple Whopper with a side of large fries and a soda without worrying about unhealthily large portion sizes.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First-world problems.

Blog Entries
    Follow Erdrick On Twitter Add Erdrick on Facebook Add Erdrick on Google+ Add Erdrick on MySpace
    Add Erdrick on Linkedin Follow Erdrick on Tumblr Follow Erdrick on Flickr Visit Erdrick's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnYellow View Post
    \It is stupid, pointless, and will not reduce obesity.
    There was something similar to this with candy bars; my teacher said you could just buy two to make it up. Same deal here.

☭ The Great Uniter ☭ Mißingnåen's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Most fast food places have free refills anyway.
    Fyrirgefðu

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Diet sodas are just as dangerous to our health too. If you guys are opposing what New York is doing, does that mean obesity is becoming socially accepted like smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Diet sodas are just as dangerous to our health too. If you guys are opposing what New York is doing, does that mean obesity is becoming socially accepted like smoking?
    No, it means that people should take personal responsibility for being overweight. Instead of the government telling everyone (healthy and unhealthy) what they can and cannot have. Besides, you can just buy more, get free refills, etc.

Honestly this bill probably would reduce soda consumption in food establishments. People eat more when they're given larger portions, and that's the reason why soda portions are so large in fast food restaurants. Every time you refill you're reminded of how much you drink. If you're drinking out of a large cup this effect doesn't happen.

Regardless, I've already pointed out the stupidity in this bill. And a 16 fl oz soda portion is still very big.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief View Post
    my teacher said you could just buy two to make it up. Same deal here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleta01 View Post
    Besides, you can just buy more, get free refills, etc.
    Buying more will not work, as typically a larger amount of something will be cheaper than 2 smaller ones which add up to the same amount. And it's an inconvenience buying 2 when you can simply buy 1.
    Free refills would only work if the place you are purchasing the drink from gives free refills. Which most of them do, however, I never understood why people actually pay extra for a large when free refills are available on the small to begin with.

This probably won't reduce obesity much, but I can see it definitely placing an inconvenice in front of people who want to drink a larger amount of soda. And maybe that inconvenice will slightly reduce the consumption of soda.

Still, it's definitely not the government's responsibility to be doing so. And this is going to have a negative impact on businesses for no good reason, and that's never a good thing.

What's somewhat ironic is
    The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
    Diet soda isn't all that healthy, although it doesn't directly cause obesity.
    Milkshakes can cause obesity just as much as sodas can.
    Alcohol can also cause obesity just as much as sodas can, and it's even more hazardous to your health.

And why would grocery stores and convenience stores be excluded? I can understand excluding 2L or 3L bottles since typically you don't drink the whole thing... but not banning a 20 fluid ounce bottle from a convenience store but banning the same amount from a restaurant makes no sense.
    And furthermore, convenience stores actuall sell fountain drinks. It's literally the exact same thing as restaurants.

Blog Entries
    Follow Erdrick On Twitter Add Erdrick on Facebook Add Erdrick on Google+ Add Erdrick on MySpace
    Add Erdrick on Linkedin Follow Erdrick on Tumblr Follow Erdrick on Flickr Visit Erdrick's Youtube Channel

Eh, good point...
    Whoever thought of this must not be very good at their job...you're right, it does make no sense.

Of course it makes sense.

They can claim to be doing something to help your health without actually doing anything, and at the same time, remind you that they can take away anything from you at any time. It kills two birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleta01 View Post
    No, it means that people should take personal responsibility for being overweight. Instead of the government telling everyone (healthy and unhealthy) what they can and cannot have. Besides, you can just buy more, get free refills, etc.
    No they're not. They are essentially trying to nudge people into making a better decision, not telling them what they cannot have. They can still buy as much soda as they want, but only in smaller containers. In a nation where half the population is obese I think it's clearly obvious that people can't make this rational decision for themselves and take personal responsibility.

Agent of SHIELD $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

How people want to live is their own problem. We don't need Big Government holding our hand. If I want to go out and eat nothing but Taco Bell for the rest of my life, and have an extra large Coke every time, I should be able to enjoy that freedom. I am responsible for what happens to me.

Blog Entries

The measure would not apply to diet sodas,
    If'n I remember correctly, don't diet sodas ruin your health more than regular sodas?
    Oh, but they're "DIET" sodas, so they're clearly healthy .

dairy-based drinks like milkshakes,
    Again, unhealthy for you, but ruled out because "IT'S GOT MILK IN IT AND MILK IS HEALTHY!!!11!1"

or alcoholic beverages;
    Normally I'd concede on this, citing the skyrocketing crime rate during Prohibition, but I've never heard of a 2-liter Budweiser, so it's kind of understandable. Then again, it is alchohol, and it does wreck your liver over time...

it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
    Wait, so a 32-oz cup/glass of cola from Burger King is too big, but a 2-liter bottle of it from Safeway is perfectly fine?
    ......dafuq?

Banner made by Blazaking EX, avatar by Thanatos. Thanks, guys.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast