The National Defense Authorization Act - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The National Defense Authorization Act

Default Re: The National Defense Authorization Act

Construction and Authorites outlined in 1021 only apply to 1021. Is there a problem i 1021? Depends on what's already in "existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."
    Other note: What happens to persons not "captured or arrested in the United States"?

So is there a problem in 1022? Depends on "determined" and "Authorization of Military force", I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PLA View Post
    Depends on what's already in "existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."
    The fifth amendment to the constitution is what already exists here, and that's due process and the right to a fair trial. No other law trumps that, so there is no legal means for the government to arrest innocent civilians.

Other note: What happens to persons not "captured or arrested in the United States"?
    If you are a United States citizen (either naturally born or passed the test) and you are arrested by the United States government abroad, you are extradited and the fifth amendment kicks in. If you are an agent of the Taliban, Al-Qaeda or otherwise directly related terrorist organization, that is where this law applies.

So is there a problem in 1022? Depends on "determined" and "Authorization of Military force", I think.
    "Authorization of military force" is the legalese way of saying "declared war". The United States has not (and I don't even think they can) declare war on itself.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GengarEatBanana View Post
    They couldn't of put it nicer, could they?
    Alien is the general technical term that applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Obama Signs NDAA Martial Law - YouTube

Bill Would Allow Military To Detain US Citizens Indefinitely - YouTube

NDAA section 1031 Citizen Imprisonment, indefinite detainment, torture, and murder - YouTube

So much for not being applicable to US citizens. With this, combined with the Patriot Act and what I've heard FEMA can do...

I really think now would be a good time to GTFO of America =/.

Especially if you stop and consider what would happen if SOPA and PROTECT IP manage to get passed into law. They could, possibly, shut down all sites where we might be able to get information like this. Only let us see what they want, hide everything else. I don't wanna sound like a conspiracy theorist, but hell, look what's going on in this country!

2012, anyone?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
    Obama Signs NDAA Martial Law - YouTube

Bill Would Allow Military To Detain US Citizens Indefinitely - YouTube

NDAA section 1031 Citizen Imprisonment, indefinite detainment, torture, and murder - YouTube

So much for not being applicable to US citizens. With this, combined with the Patriot Act and what I've heard FEMA can do...

I really think now would be a good time to GTFO of America =/.

Especially if you stop and consider what would happen if SOPA and PROTECT IP manage to get passed into law. They could, possibly, shut down all sites where we might be able to get information like this. Only let us see what they want, hide everything else. I don't wanna sound like a conspiracy theorist, but hell, look what's going on in this country!

2012, anyone?
    Have you looked into the date of those videos to be exact? That was before they revised NDAA so it doesn't affect U.S. citizens.

Blog Entries

Except that another video I watched originally that I'll grab the link for was posted on Dec 31st of last year, which was when Obama signed the bill he originally said he'd veto. And in that video it says that he only passed the law AFTER the wording that would have prevented Americans from being affected was removed.

Doesn't it seem wrong somehow that he was sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution, then makes a statement about how it's an imperfect document and things like this and FEMA are going on?

Obama Signs Martial Bill Law: NDAA Now Law Video I originally saw about it

Unless I'm missing something between when the law was passed and now, I haven't seen anything about revisions being made to the bill again to make it inapplicable to Americans once more.

Blog Entries

The version of the bill that video links to contains the same words as the version of the bill that I linked to and broke down in this post.

NDAA is passed, but our civil liberties as citizens and legal residents have not been impacted in any way.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I read somewhere that the President already basically has the power to detain US citizens, but I can't remember where I read it or what it was called. I dunno for sure but maybe it was something related to the Patriot Act, meh. (EDIT: Not the Patriot Act, but rather AUMF, I think it was. I haven't read the bill yet or anything but from what I see it was mainly supposed to be used against those who were involved in 9/11...so I don't understand how this could apply to Americans in general unless some was charged of somehow being part of the whole 9/11 operation.)

At this point, I've read/seen/heard too many contradicting things to take anything for face value regarding this bill. I suppose at this point we can only wait and see what happens.

What I find interesting, even though it has nothing to do with NDAA, is the fact that Wikipedia is going to be doing a global blackout on the 18th in protest of SOPA and PROTECT IP Act (aka PIPA). So many awesome goings-on in this country lately, ne?
    Last edited by Dog of Hellsing; 17th January 2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Adding infos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234