WAR: Muammar Gaddafi finally captured, later dies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muammar Gaddafi finally captured, later dies

Default Muammar Gaddafi finally captured, later dies

This is coming in from multiple sources including AP, Reuters, The Guardian, and Al-Jazeera, as well as Libyan Government officials. Muammar Gaddafi was captured much like Saddam, in a hole and calling out "Don't Shoot, Don't Shoot". Apparently he was wounded in both legs and Al-Jazeera says he is in critical condition but that is unconfirmed.

The Guardian is providing a real time update feed on events as they unfold here.

Libya: fall of Sirte - live updates | World news | guardian.co.uk

Exit Question: Why are dictators such wimps? They expect their people to go out guns blazing, but the minute they are confronted they run for the nearest hole.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Muammar Gaddafi finally captured

Oh gosh darnnit Lutz what are u doing up so early in the Morning. I was going to post that up. I'd have to settle for PC then~

Anyways I hope we don't have another gruesome and old fashioned Hussein-like hanging. :/

As for your question I have another rhetorical one: Why can't they just cut a deal and skitter away to some tropical paradise and stop making it worse for everyone?
    Last edited by Netto Azure; 20th October 2011 at 07:11 AM.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

I've heard reports that he was captured initially; now there are reports that he is dead. (I've barely been up this morning and I've heard a whole deal of conflicting accounts! morning news.) The account I had initially heard on the news was that of Qaddafi being in a hole when captured.

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    [...]

Anyways I hope we don't have another gruesome and old fashioned Hussein-like hanging. :/

As for your question I have another rhetorical one: Why can't they just cut a deal and skitter away to some tropical paradise and stop making it worse for everyone?
    What's wrong with a good hanging?

Otherwise, dictators can't really step down, especially if they have records such as Qaddafi (he could have easily been charged for crimes against humanity), as it's their holds on power that keep spineless institutions from pursuing them: they also can't expect everyone to honor a deal they make for refuge, Charles Taylor of Liberia being an example. (They have to remain as residents in one country as such I guess, unable to travel abroad; Ben Ali, deposed President of Tunisia, now resides in Saudi Arabia I think, for example.) As well, Qaddafi has already had warrants issued for his arrest, giving him even less reason to want to step down when such could have been a possibility. (These warrants were probably issued most senselessly, as no one would actually go in and arrest Qaddafi; and these, without the possibility of pardon/immunity, really make holding onto power the most sensible outcome.)

~

Oh, and the news channel I'm watching is now saying that Qaddafi has been killed. (On a side note, this confirmation delay is extremely odd... this country should know immediately when a major player in a conflict we're involved in goes down...)
    Last edited by League; 20th October 2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep, just saw the article on AlJazeera. Well they went the Osama route it seems. :P

Otherwise, dictators can't really step down, because they can't expect everyone to honor a deal they make for refuge.
    Yeah, we're studying that aspect in World Politics right now lulz.

Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    Yep, just saw the article on AlJazeera. Well they went the Osama route it seems. :P

[...]
    Ugh, we targeted Osama with knowledge. (Whether we should have attempted to capture him is another matter...) Qaddafi was captured in a less specialized mission, and his captors/killers didn't, seemingly, have knowledge of his whereabouts before the event.

I also edited my post above--I have so many links and sources [of information not provided in this thread] that such was a difficult set of thoughts to set in order.

EDIT: Oh, and for hippopotamus' sake, we should all streamline how we spell "Qaddafi." I propose we go with "Qaddafi."

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

Visit Jay0173's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Exit Question: Why are dictators such wimps? They expect their people to go out guns blazing, but the minute they are confronted they run for the nearest hole.
    Dictators like Gaddafi are like school-yard bullies. Tough and adversarial when surrounded by a group of friends, but cowards when confronted alone.
    JAY
    FC: 3411-1525-5963
    Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
    (Please VM or PM me so I can add your FC too)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay0173 View Post
    Dictators like Gaddafi are like school-yard bullies. Tough and adversarial when surrounded by a group of friends, but cowards when confronted alone.
    Ugh, the narrative is far from settled (Qaddafi seems to have been struck while in a convoy, so the whole "hiding in a hole" thing might not be realistic at all)--regardless, offering pseudo-psychology about the mental makeup of "[D]ictators like [Q]addafi" is rather useless.

It's interesting, anyway, that you'd call Qaddafi a coward, because he certainly has a history regarding various... calculations. I could go into it if you want.

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

BBC News - Libya's Col Muammar Gaddafi killed, say NTC officials

It's official: Gaddafi is dead.

Shame too, as now he can't stand trial for his crimes.

Visit Jay0173's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    It's interesting, anyway, that you'd call Qaddafi a coward, because he certainly has a history regarding various... calculations. I could go into it if you want.
    This is my belief: Only a coward strikes first.

It's telling that when this revolution began, Gaddafi was not out front leading his troops. He hid. When the rebels took the capital, he didn't stay to fight. He ran.
    JAY
    FC: 3411-1525-5963
    Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
    (Please VM or PM me so I can add your FC too)

Blog Entries

Well, the remnant forces will either go berserk or fall apart and surrender with their leader dead.

While he won't stand trial for his crimes, it could be said his death is just for a man as cruel as him, and hopefully this event will be the start of impending peace in Libya.

Also, an obligatory 'About damn time.'

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Al Jazeera has acquired exclusive footage of the body of Muammar Gaddafi: Link to stream

I wonder how many pictures of Condi did Gaddafi have in his hideout?

Blog Entries
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Also, David Cameron (UK Prime Minister) has confirmed that Libyan Officials have told him that Gaddafi is dead.

Reports are saying he was captured alive, but died of his injuries.

EDIT: From BBC:

"BREAKING NEWS Libyan Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril has told a news conference Col Gaddafi is dead, it is confirmed."

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm always skeptical of "breaking news" like Qaddafi being dead, but I think I can believe it if all of these sources are saying the same thing. Qaddafi's dead. The civil war may be far from over, but this is certainly a devastating blow to the loyalists. I'm just hoping that starting this uprising and plunging all of Libya into a civil war for the sake of a new government was worth it in the end.

Blog Entries

BBC News - Muammar Gaddafi death: Last hours in Sirte

A man claiming to be an eyewitness told the BBC that he saw Col Gaddafi being shot with a 9mm gun in the abdomen at around 1230 local time.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

French air force stopped Gaddafi convoy - minister - Yahoo!

Gaddafi apparently tried to run away again but his convoy was stopped by French airstrikes.

Score one for the cheese-eating surrender monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast