"Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Blog Entries

Default "Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black Teen

Florida’s controversial ‘Stand Your Ground’ law is back on the national stage after the murder of yet another unarmed, black teenager.

Michael Dunn, a 45-year-old Florida resident is invoking the controversial law after a recent confrontation turned fatal, The Orlando Sentinel reports.

According to authorities, 17-year-old Jordan Russell Davis, a black teenager, and several other friends were confronted by Dunn, a white man, who pulled alongside the teens' SUV in the parking lot of a Jacksonville, Fla., gas station. Dunn asked them to turn their music down, and after an exchange of words, he fired between 8 and 9 shots at the vehicle, several of which hit Davis, causing his death.

Dunn was arrested on Saturday and charged with murder and attempted murder, his lawyer said that her client acted "responsibly and in self defense."

During a telephone interview with ABC 12, Dunn’s daughter Rebecca defended her father, saying he did not intend to kill anyone and was responding to a threat.

"He got threatened and had to do what he had to do, and it's sad, so sad," Rebecca Dunn said. "A terrible tragedy on both sides. It really is. I don't know. What are you going to do in that situation? You don't know what you are going to do. He just reacted."

Dunn’s self defense claim falls under Florida’s "Stand Your Ground" law, which was the same claim used in the defense of George Zimmerman, the man accused of murdering 17-year-old Trayvon Martin earlier this year.

Davis was a student at Samuel W. Wolfson High School, a magnet school in Duval County. He will be buried in his hometown of Marietta, Ga. His family plans to start a foundation in his honor for at risk youth who have been the victims of tragedy.
    A shame. The "Stand your Ground" law should, at the very least, be reformed to not be so all encompassing.

Much love to Zurr

Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

Default Re: "Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black

Reprehensible. Absolutely reprehensible.

Default Re: "Michael Dunn, Florida Man, Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Black

It's horrible that he killed him simply for putting the music too loud, he should have been punished in a different way than that. I've personally suffered a few times for people putting music up too loud, but I would never think to KILL the person doing it.

But as an aside... What about crimes such as the ones committed against Chris Newsom & Channon Christian not exposed to the same extent? Because it's politically incorrect? Who cares about that? It's still a heinous crime...
    I just don't get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivantuga2 View Post
    It's horrible that he killed him simply for putting the music too loud, he should have been punished in a different way than that. I've personally suffered a few times for people putting music up too loud, but I would never think to KILL the person doing it.

But as an aside... What about crimes such as the ones committed against Chris Newsom & Channon Christian not exposed to the same extent? Because it's politically incorrect? Who cares about that? It's still a heinous crime...
    I just don't get it.
    Even then, having music too loud should, at worst, be a ticket.

Those crimes happened in 2007, they were tragedies but the perpetrators did it with sadistic intention, along with the fact that they were all punished for it. This was a crime of stupidity. along with the state justifying the actions.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

I think it's time again to think critically about what we read on the internet.

Dunn’s self defense claim falls under Florida’s "Stand Your Ground" law
    Let's remember that the Stand Your Ground law protects people who act in self-defense in dangerous situations. So far no explanation has been provided as to how the situation was dangerous for Dunn. Dunn was charged with murder and attempted murder, which means local authorities were evidently unconvinced that he was actually acting in self-defense.

Anyone can display a self-defense law for their legal defense. That doesn't mean that the circumstances are automatically applicable to the law. Dunn can use the Stand Your Ground law as part of his defense strategy. That doesn't mean it will work.
    Last edited by Shinobu; 28th November 2012 at 06:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santabomb View Post
    I think it's time again to think critically about what we read on the internet.

Dunn’s self defense claim falls under Florida’s "Stand Your Ground" law
    Let's remember that the Stand Your Ground law protects people who act in self-defense in dangerous situations. So far no explanation has been provided as to how the situation was dangerous for Dunn. Dunn was charged with murder and attempted murder, which means local authorities were evidently unconvinced that he was actually acting in self-defense.

Anyone can display a self-defense law for their legal defense. That doesn't mean that the circumstances are automatically applicable to the law. Dunn can use the Stand Your Ground law as part of his defense strategy. That doesn't mean it will work.
    Fair enough. Watching how this plays out will only show its relevance. The idea is fine, but it shouldn't be a crutch to the stupid to hind behind.

Much love to Zurr

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, it was a public parking lot. It's not Dunn's responsibility or duty to "punish" the kids at all, and I'm betting the only reason he approached them in the first place was because they were black and listening to loud music, and thus "hoodlums" in his eyes.

I just don't get it.
    You don't get it because you are a racist.
    Sorry to tell you that, but if the first thought you have upon hearing cases like this is to immediately jump on the reverse-racism wagon and post example of black-on-white crimes that are completely unrelated, then you probably have racist feelings. The same thing happened with the Treyvon case, with every white-supremacist message board like Freep and Stormfront instantly scouring the internet for every black-on-white crime they could find.

In the crime you mentioned, ALL FOUR of the suspects were pretty much instantly charged and brought to court, and received either the death penalty and life in prison...with Zimmerman, he was initially released without being charged, and this case has Dunn attempting to revoke the same law that gained notoriety during the Treyvon case, so of course people are going to talk about it. It shows a flaw in the Florida Legal system that many people believe is a subtle form of racial discrimination, and also factors into the ongoing gun debate.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

these crazy crimes are reason 3454 why i dont live in Florida....

anyway, the shooter shouldn't have instagated the situation by going up to the car. that was mistake #1 and could have prevented the whole ordeal. there are just way too many unknowns to see all what all went down. more details are needed to get a full grasp on all what went down

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Uh, it was a public parking lot. It's not Dunn's responsibility or duty to "punish" the kids at all, and I'm betting the only reason he approached them in the first place was because they were black and listening to loud music, and thus "hoodlums" in his eyes.
    Can't we wait until the facts come out before we start guessing as to what was in his mind? Have we not all learned atleast that much from the Zimmerman case that how things may look in the beginning may not exactly be how they played out?
    Angad and Bishie Karis-chan like this.

Hero of the South Beausoleil's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Beausoleil on Facebook
    Follow Beausoleil on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Can't we wait until the facts come out before we start guessing as to what was in his mind? Have we not all learned atleast that much from the Zimmerman case that how things may look in the beginning may not exactly be how they played out?
    With the facts we currently have, it's a perfectly valid speculation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber Claus View Post
    With the facts we currently have, it's a perfectly valid speculation.
    Really? We have just.. this.

"Dunn asked them to turn their music down, and after an exchange of words, he fired between 8 and 9 shots at the vehicle, several of which hit Davis, causing his death."

That leaves a rather big hole as to what was said, what made him draw the gun, etc etc. We have only the barest idea of what had happened, but people are already ready to say he did it because he was racist, or that he is guilty here.

Now granted it is easy to look at him as being guilty, especially since there is no shot gun seen even though Dunn claims there was. But still it seems to be rather soon to start assuming his guilt or state of mind before the court case even starts.

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anyone who plays their music too loud, whether they're black, white, purple, pink, or gold, probably is a either a hoodlum or else a generic stupid kid.

Still on this subject, I reserve judgement until more facts are out. If what is being said is true, then "Stand Your Ground" is not applicable here. It sounds like a case of road rage.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    When the facts about the Zimmerman case came out, it turned out that a 17-year old boy was shot and killed by a self-employed "neighborhood watchman". There was NO reason that Treyvon had to die, sorry to say.

Anyone who plays their music too loud, whether they're black, white, purple, pink, or gold, probably is a either a hoodlum or else a generic stupid kid.
    What is "too loud" though? The only person who apparently had a problem with the music was Dunn. If the kids were violating a noise ordinance, the police would have taken care of it.

The fact is, like with Treyvon, the 17-year old boy DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE. That's all there is to it, it's entirely clear-cut.

Blog Entries

When the facts about the Zimmerman case came out, it turned out that a 17-year old boy was shot and killed by a self-employed "neighborhood watchman". There was NO reason that Treyvon had to die, sorry to say.
    Umm no, we did not know about Zimmerman's head wound or nose wound initially, giving the possibility that Zimmerman had to fight for his life, such a thing drastically changes the story as it changes from murder on Zimmerman's part, to a act of survival. Again there is a need to wait till all the information comes out.

Blog Entries

And I STILL don't think Treyvon deserved to die.

Had Zimmerman NOT shot him, I do not think that Zimmerman himself would've died, unless you're into that "purple drank and MMA fighting!" idea. Beyond that, if Treyvon did attack Zimmerman, it was probably because a man was following him around at night in a car and probably felt (correctly, it turns out) that his life was threatened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast