DISASTER: Meteor Hits Russia Injuring 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Meteor Hits Russia Injuring 1000

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Meteor Hits Russia Injuring 1000

MOSCOW -- A meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over Russia's Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb Friday, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring nearly 1,000 people.

The spectacle deeply frightened many Russians, with some elderly women declaring that the world was coming to an end. Many of the injured were cut by flying glass as they flocked to windows to see what the source was for such an intense flash of light.

The meteor – estimated to be about 10 tons – entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph (33,000 mph) and shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometers (18-32 miles) above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.

Amateur video showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time, just after sunrise, leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, a city of 1 million about 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) east of Moscow.

"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud, thundering sound," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

The meteor released several kilotons of energy above the region, the science academy said. The shock wave blew in an estimated 100,000 square meters (more than 1 million square feet) of glass, according to city officials.

The meteor hit less than a day before Asteroid 2012 DA14 is to make the closest recorded pass of an asteroid to the Earth – about 17,150 miles (28,000 kilometers). But the European Space Agency in a tweet said its experts had determined there was no connection – just cosmic coincidence.

The Russian meteor was probably about 2 meters (6 1/2 feet) across, about the size of an SUV, said Richard Binzel, a professor of Planetary Science at MIT.

The Interior Ministry said 985 people sought medical care after the shock wave and 44 of them were hospitalized. Most of the injuries were caused by flying glass, it said.

There was no immediate word on any deaths or anyone struck by space fragments.

Meteors typically cause sizeable sonic booms when they enter the atmosphere because they are traveling so much faster than the speed of sound. Injuries on the scale reported Friday, however, are extraordinarily rare.

Source
    That's nice.

Hyper Satellite Cannon! Bishie Karis-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Bishie Karis-chan's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Meteor Hits Russia Injuring 1000

Gosh, what a nightmarish occurrence. It must've felt like the start of an apocalypse to witness that in person...

I hope everyone makes it out alright.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't say anything about people thinking it was a nuclear attack.
    Hunter Blade and BlackGroudon like this.
    That's nice.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure there were people who thought that at first, but kinda surprised nobody's reported on locals guessing that.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Camila View Post
    Gosh, what a nightmarish occurrence. It must've felt like the start of an apocalypse to witness that in person...

I hope everyone makes it out alright.
    It's not all that nightmarish, really. I've seen one. It was higher in the sky when it had its shockwave, so it did a lot less damage, but it's much more whoa-exciting than scary.

And hard to mistake for anything else. I doubt that many people really mistook it for a nuclear attack. The one I saw was in 1994, and nobody figured "nukes!" then, nevermind that we were much closer to the Cold War than we are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Pretty crazy stuff. Imagine an even bigger one...we'd be screwed.

I Claim Groudon.Yay

Blog Entries

It'd take one waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay larger to screw us.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

A slightly larger one would screw some of us. If this meteor were 100 meters across those Russians would be pretty screwed.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Ok, what is it with everything saying "Russia was hit by a meteor"? There was no impact, the thing exploded in the air above. There's a difference in actual impact and exploding in the air above.

Regardless, lucky gits. I'd love to be that close to a meteor, and yes I'm aware of the shockwave and such. Still love to be that close to see it :O It would be amazing <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Instrutilus View Post
    Ok, what is it with everything saying "Russia was hit by a meteor"? There was no impact, the thing exploded in the air above. There's a difference in actual impact and exploding in the air above.
    It's just a more simple way of putting it, though it is causing some misinterpretation of the events, I image.

Regardless, lucky gits. I'd love to be that close to a meteor, and yes I'm aware of the shockwave and such. Still love to be that close to see it :O It would be amazing <3
    I would like to have seen it too, but isn't it a bit insensitive to say that? :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neosquid View Post
    I would like to have seen it too, but isn't it a bit insensitive to say that? :/
    Not really. No one died, and I would personally love it. I'm insulting anyone, at least not intentionally, that's just how I feel: I think they were lucky to see such a marvel of nature so close and how much I would love to have been in their place.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Instrutilus View Post
    Because it was easier to put that as the title than "Meteor explodes 50 km over Russia and injures 1000" and the consequences are basically the same. Besides if it impacted then it would be a meteorite silly.
    That's nice.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

In Soviet Russia, space explores you.
    97SaturnSL1 and TheMissingno. like this.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

The debris did reach the ground, ergo there was impacts with (parts of) the meteor
    Sooooo...watch out!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

It looks like some final estimates are saying it exploded 15-25 km in the air with a yeild of 500 kilotons of TNT. For comparison, the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were 20 kilotons.
    That's nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast