SPORTS: MARYLAND TO JOIN BIG 10

Thread: MARYLAND TO JOIN BIG 10

Blog Entries

Default MARYLAND TO JOIN BIG 10

source:

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    The University of Maryland's Board of Regents on Monday voted unanimously to accept an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference and leave the Atlantic Coast Conference, sources told ESPN on Monday.

The board unanimously approved the move to the Big Ten, a regent told ESPN. An afternoon announcement in College Park, Md., is expected.
    Sources also said that Rutgers is expected to follow the Terrapins and will announce its own move from the Big East to the Big Ten, possibly as early as Tuesday. A Scarlet Knights move would give the Big Ten 14 members.

Rutgers' Board of Governors is holding a regularly scheduled meeting Monday in New Brunswick, N.J.

When Maryland, a charter member of the ACC, will make the move to the Big Ten is unknown, but sources at the school believe the Terps will be able to negotiate the current $50 million exit fee from the ACC to a lower amount. The additions of Maryland and Rutgers would spur the Big Ten toward negotiations on a new media-rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

ESPN on Saturday first reported on the negotiations between Maryland and the Big Ten. Maryland was one of eight schools to start the ACC in 1953.

"The question is what's the future" of the ACC, Maryland regent Patricia Florestano told ESPN.com on Monday. "We've got to look to the future." Asked if the future of Maryland athletics is brighter in the Big Ten than in the ACC, Florestano said, "we perceived it that way."

One stumbling block for Maryland was thought to be a financial one. Its athletic department has recently dropped sports programs because of budget concerns, and the ACC recently raised its exit fee to the aforementioned $50 million.

Maryland and Florida State were the only two of the ACC's 12 schools that voted against a $50 million exit fee but lost the vote. Maryland president Wallace Loh was quoted in The Washington Post on Sept. 13 as saying he was against the hike from $20 million to $50 million on "legal and philosophical" grounds.

A source told ESPN that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then potentially Rutgers because they are in contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

The addition of the two East Coast schools would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's shadow. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers offering up the New York/New Jersey market and Penn State's strong eastern ties, the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

Maryland becomes only the second school to leave the ACC. South Carolina was the other, leaving in 1971 to become an independent. The Gamecocks are now members of the SEC.

In the past few years, the nation's top five conferences -- SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC -- have added 10 new members, unleashing a coast-to-coast domino effect on college programs.

With the move of Maryland and pending move by Rutgers, the ACC and Big East are expected to seek replacement teams. Connecticut is the most likely candidate to join the ACC, sources said.

So there you go tell me what you think of it. Personally myself i don't care at all.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MARYLAND TO JOIN BIG 10

As someone who's currently a student at an ACC school, I don't care. UConn is better anyways.

I'm just curious as to where they're going to get the fifty million for the exit fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    As someone who's currently a student at an ACC school, I don't care. UConn is better anyways.

I'm just curious as to where they're going to get the fifty million for the exit fee.
    Well they big 12 helped pay WVU exit of the big east so the B1G may help pay some it.

You are BC i take it?

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post
    Well they big 12 helped pay WVU exit of the big east so the B1G may help pay some it.

You are BC i take it?
    Yeah I'm at BC.

And that is a good point. I'm sure that Maryland is still going to have to pony up the lion's share of it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

Not surprised in the least. It was only a matter of time before the B10 got someone.

The only question is what teams will move where next.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Not surprised in the least. It was only a matter of time before the B10 got someone.

The only question is what teams will move where next.
    I can see the ACC losing 3 or 4 more members because of this: FSU , CLEMSON and GEORGIA TECH and MIAMI possibly to the big 12 or SEC or both

And here the updated article confirming it.

The University of Maryland's Board of Regents voted Monday to accept an invitation to join the Big Ten and begin competition in the conference in the 2014-15 academic year.

Meanwhile, Big East Conference sources told ESPN that Rutgers will be announced as the 14th member of the Big Ten on Tuesday.

"Today is a watershed moment for the University of Maryland," said university president Wallace D. Loh in a release. "Membership in the Big Ten Conference is in the strategic interest of the University of Maryland."

Loh added it would "ensure the financial vitality of Maryland Athletics for decades to come," and offer opportunities to boost the "education, research, and innovation" of the university.

Once Maryland's board voted and faxed a letter of application to the Big Ten on Monday, the conference's council of presidents unanimously approved the Terrapins' admission, a source said. Maryland, along with seven others, was a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1953.

"Our best wishes are extended to all of the people associated with the University of Maryland. Since our inception, they have been an outstanding member of our conference and we are sorry to see them exit," ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. "For the past 60 years the Atlantic Coast Conference has exhibited leadership in academics and athletics. This is our foundation and we look forward to building on it as we move forward."

Sources at Maryland believe the Terps will be able to negotiate the current $50 million exit fee from the ACC to a lower amount. The additions of Maryland and Rutgers would spur the Big Ten, then, toward negotiations on a new media-rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

"It's pretty obvious to us that the paradigm has shifted, and it's not your father's Big Ten. It's probably not your father's ACC," said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. "I think that what the paradigm shift is that other conferences had, we had chosen not to. We explored the collaboration (with the Pac-12). It couldn't be executed. The Pac-12 couldn't do what they thought they could do. And at that juncture, we thought we should seriously think about contiguous states, AAU (Association of American Universities, which concentrates on research) institutions and to determine whether or not that was plausible. We found out that it was, and we moved from there."

The stepped-up negotiations between Maryland and the Big Ten, and the conference's scheduled vote on the Terrapins' membership, were reported by ESPN over the weekend.

"The question is what's the future" of the ACC, Maryland regent Patricia Florestano told ESPN.com on Monday. "We've got to look to the future." Asked if the future of Maryland athletics is brighter in the Big Ten than in the ACC, Florestano said, "we perceived it that way."

One stumbling block for Maryland was thought to be a financial one. Its athletic department has recently dropped sports programs because of budget concerns, and the ACC recently raised its exit fee to the aforementioned $50 million.

Maryland and Florida State were the only two of the ACC's 12 schools that voted against a $50 million exit fee but lost the vote. Loh was quoted in The Washington Post on Sept. 13 as saying he was against the hike from $20 million to $50 million on "legal and philosophical" grounds.

Under Armour founder and Maryland uber-booster Kevin Plank will not be contributing to the ACC buyout fund, sources tell ESPN. Plank, who started his company during his time as a walk-on with the Terrapins football team, has emerged as the school's biggest booster and his filing with the Security and Exchange Commission to sell approximately $65 million worth of stock triggered a rumor that it would be earmarked for Maryland. But Plank, who is worth $1.35 billion according to Forbes, is not using the money to support his alma mater.

A source told ESPN that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports but football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then Rutgers because they are in contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

When Maryland and Rutgers join they will move into the Leaders Division occupied by Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue and Indiana, Loh told the board of regents. Illinois then would shift from the Leaders to the Legends Division.

The addition of the two East Coast schools also would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's shadow. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers, in New Brunswick, N.J., offering up the New York market and Penn State's strong eastern ties, the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

Maryland becomes only the second school to leave the ACC. South Carolina was the other, leaving in 1971 to become an independent. The Gamecocks are now members of the SEC.

Even though Maryland's basketball program will leave behind rich traditional ACC rivalries with NC State, Duke and North Carolina, coach Mark Turgeon is on board with the move to the Big Ten come 2014-15.

"It doesn't change a thing," Turgeon said by phone Monday. "We're going from one great league to another. I don't see a dramatic change. We're still trying to recruit the best players we can at the highest possible level. We're just going to be in a different league in a couple of years."

In the past few years, the nation's top five conferences -- SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC -- have added 10 members, unleashing a coast-to-coast domino effect on college programs.

With the move of Maryland and pending move by Rutgers, the ACC and Big East are expected to seek replacement teams. Connecticut is the most likely candidate to join the ACC, sources said, though school officials said that they had not heard from the ACC as of Sunday night. Syracuse (to the ACC), Pittsburgh (ACC) and West Virginia (Big 12) have negotiated early withdrawals from the Big East in the past year.

An ACC official told ESPN Monday afternoon the league has not contacted or approached any schools about replacing Maryland. Any decision the league's presidents make on future membership will be a "deliberate and strategic assessment of what's best for the conference."

However, the ACC official said the league has been contacted by numerous schools inquiring about joining the league.
    And another article about Boise State, San Diego State and BYU have had conversations with Mountain West membership about the possibility of returning to the league.

Boise State, San Diego State and BYU have had conversations with Mountain West membership about the possibility of returning to the league, sources told ESPN.

These talks originated after last week's decision in Denver by the BCS commissioners awarded an automatic access bowl berth to the highest rated champion to the "Group of Five" conferences. That decision, in essence, put the Mountain West on equal footing as far as playoff access with the Big East starting in 2014.

Sources said Monday those talks are expected to bring on greater significance after Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. ESPN reported Rutgers will announce it's leaving the Big East on Tuesday so the Big East will lose Rutgers and then potentially either UConn or Louisville to the ACC.

With the Big East losing two more schools and having the same playoff access as the Mountain West, Boise State and San Diego State are considering their options. One of the main reasons both schools opted to join the Big East was for more television revenue with the Big East as opposed to the Mountain West.

However, it's unknown how much more the Big East's future media rights will be worth compared to the Mountain West's after losing Rutgers to the Big Ten and another member to the ACC. It's also unknown how much the Mountain West's media rights deal would increase if Boise State, San Diego State or BYU returned to the MWC.

Even though Boise State and San Diego State don't join the Big East until July 1, 2013, the schools would have to pay an exit fee to get out of their contract to join the league. Both schools signed contracts on Dec. 6, 2011 with a $5 million buyout, but that amount was increased to $10 million in January when Navy announced it was joining the league in 2015.

BYU, which left the Mountain West after the 2010 season to become an independent, would have to get out of an eight-year contact with ESPN to rejoin the Mountain West or Big East.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz declined comment if ESPN would allow BYU out of its contract.

BYU's deal with ESPN is worth nearly $4 million a year through 2018 with an option for 2019, sources said.

BYU wouldn't be able to earn that much in the Mountain West, but the Cougars could be interested in returning to a conference because it would give greater access to a major bowl berth.

As an independent, BYU would have to finish in the top 10-12 teams in the nation to earn an access bowl berth. However, if the Cougars were in the MWC or Big East, they could get an access berth by being the highest rated champion of the "Group of Five."

The latest conference realignment moves continue to decimate the Big East, which has only one football member remaining from 2003 -- a Temple team that initially was dismissed from the league.

In the past year, the Big East has had six schools -- West Virginia, TCU, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Rutgers -- leave or announce they were leaving the league, with a seventh school expected to go to the ACC to replace Maryland.

Meanwhile, the Mountain West's membership next season will consist of 10 football programs: Air Force, Colorado State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State and Wyoming.

Ironically, when the MWC announced last summer it was adding San Jose State and Utah State to replace Boise State and San Diego State, MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said then the league purposely didn't expand past 10 in case the Broncos and Aztecs had a change of heart.

"Our board has determined that we're staying at 10 football-playing institutions," Thompson said in July. "We're going to line up with that formation, but at the same time we'll keep our eyes on the landscape and if there's a need to change, we'll do that."
    Last edited by Zen-Aku; 19th November 2012 at 06:01 PM.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

As someone who almost went to UMD for grad school and who has relatives who are alumni, I suppose I should have an opinion on this from their end, but I really don't.

As a Big 10 football fan (Go Blue!), though, I do think it's about time for the conference to change its name (as well as the other ones that are named after numbers that are no longer accurate). It was bad enough when they had 11 with the entrance of Penn State, but now that their numbers are ballooning like this, they should really think about a re-branding imo.

Also, it's interesting because the Big 10 always had a Midwestern identity, which even held to some degree with Penn State entering (whether or not western and central PA can be seen as "culturally Midwestern" is a debate for the ages). But now they added Maryland, that's pretty much broken because as a native Midwesterner who used to live there, I can tell you that MD is decidedly NOT the Midwest.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a Rutgers grad, and I can tell you that RU is ECSTATIC to be in the Big 10. The Big East is a sinking ship and will be considered "mid-major" under the new college football postseason format with the playoffs and would have less of a chance to make the biggest bowl games. A local newspaper reporter said that RU "was looking for a raft and ended up on a Carnival cruise ship".

Yeah, most of our sports teams haven't been the best recently (our football team just got jobbed out of a BCS bid against Louisville by the refs and some offensive screw ups... we've had bad luck when it comes to bowl bids, but 10 years ago our football team was the worst in the country), but our location in the NYC TV market and status as a flagship research university is really great for the Big Ten. The academic partnership among the schools is also awesome.

Rutgers and Maryland both fit the Big Ten profile very well and give Penn State natural eastern rivals. I know Maryland had big roots in the ACC, but this is also a set of peer institutions.

Speaking of Louisville, what do you think of them joining the ACC? I always thought UConn was a better fit, but the Cardinals bring some great teams to the table.

Maybe its just me but I dont like change. I wish schools and programs would honor tradition and keep things the way they should be. As an Auburn and SEC fan, I wasnt too happy with the additions of Texas A&M and Mizzou, but so far it seems to have worked. All the conference realignment these last few years has been so obnoxious. Let's just get it all over with and not talk about it for another 20 years please.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Don't really care who joins...but doesn't the Big Ten already have eleven schools? XDD