Margaret Thatcher dead following stroke--now with live coverage!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Margaret Thatcher dead following stroke--now with live coverage!

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Default Margaret Thatcher dead following stroke--now with live coverage!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died at 87 following a stroke, her spokesman has said.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning."

Baroness Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990.

She was the first woman to hold the post. Her family is expected to make a further statement later.

Baroness Thatcher, born Margaret Roberts, became the Conservative MP for Finchley, north London in 1959, retiring from the Commons in 1992.

Having been education secretary, she successfully challenged former prime minister Edward Heath for her party's leadership in 1975.

She won general elections in 1979, 1983 and 1987.

Baroness Thatcher's government privatised several state-owned industries. She was also in power when the UK went to war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.
    source

In other news, I hear the UK's largest Dance Dance Revolution is soon to be constructed.

EDIT: The after party various reactions to the event more or less as they happen
    Last edited by Green Zubat; 8th April 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Margaret Thatcher dead following stroke

Damn right, and I'll be on there as soon as the thing's open. My grandmother's going to be on 2-player with me, so it should be fun.

Oh, before we go further, just need to do something...

Right, carry on.
    Last edited by Instrutilus; 8th April 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I was planning on going on Monster Hunter tonight to take down a ruthless beast, but it seems like a stroke beat me to it.

(And before anyone asks if what I'm saying is too far - look up what she actually did during her time as Prime Minister. Seriously, she completely shat on the poor and the elderly and was only out for her and her family's own personal gain. Totally deserved).

Blog Entries

Update: Apparently, people are taking to the streets to celebrate her death. I was thinking of going out tonight to join in on the festivities too, but I think I'm already drunk enough on the hilarious anti-thatcher memes that are going around.

EDIT: I couldn't resist. This one's on you Maggie (just like the destruction of the welfare state):

Last edited by Green Zubat; 8th April 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From the impression I get from here, as well as the news I've seen today, you really don't like her at all. Then again, from what I've heard she has done and is responsible for, I can't blame you.
    Green Zubat and Joshawott like this.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

I actually admire this woman for her tough stance on communism, but apparently she is one of those devisive figure that half the country hates and half loves.

Rest in Peace, Iron Lady.
    Bill Cipher likes this.

Y > X

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Turns out she did have to be dead before we could bury her.

Today hasn't just been the death of a notable British leader, many jokes have died along side her.

Edit - My parents really hated her, as really any Scottish family did in her prime. My mum was well chuffed at her death, and I think she has had such a lasting affect in Scotland that even when she is dead we cannot forgive her.
    Last edited by maglev; 8th April 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Green Zubat likes this.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Geez, I didn't know she was that despised in the U.K.

I don't think people in the U.S. would celebrate in the streets when someone like Jimmy Carter or George W. Bush. dies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post

I don't think people in the U.S. would celebrate in the streets when someone like Jimmy Carter or George W. Bush. dies.
    Well, she naturally has her supporters, particularly amongst conservatives. This pie chart aptly explains the situation in the UK:

MizuTaipu likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MizuTaipu View Post

This just shows the gross disrespect these people have. Seriously, you don't have to like the person, but respect the office. This is disturbing.
    That Guy likes this.

Y > X

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Margaret Thatcher dead following stroke--now with live coverage!

And before THAT gets derailed any further (because you just know it will take about 0.0000000000012 seconds before Republicrats start accusing each other of disrespecting their respective presidents)

Discussion of whether or not the people of a country owe respect to that country's leader and the function belongs in the Campaign Bus, not News of the World. Accusing the people in this thread of "gross disrespect" is not okay.

Everyone else, tone it down. Celebrating the death of a human being (even if she was only so in the widest possible sense of the term) ain't cool, folks.
    Kaori, Oswin, Froakie and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

The woman helped bring a end to the Cold War, and helped revitalize Britain from what could have been a devastating economic fall, Britain, the U.S., and much of the world has alot to thank her for. She will be missed, but now she can find peace with her husband in the afterlife.
    That Guy and Bill Cipher like this.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, NOBODY has been infracted in regard to this, regardless of who posted what.

Even so, I HAVE asked people to tone it down. The thread was going too far, and that ends here. But no infractions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Just to clarify, NOBODY has been infracted in regard to this, regardless of who posted what.

Even so, I HAVE asked people to tone it down. The thread was going too far, and that ends here. But no infractions.
    Just for clarification, what would be considered "too far"? I'm guessing, things like outright celebrating her death and such would be a no-no, but making statements as to why you agreed/disagreed with her as Prime Minister are okay?

Blog Entries

That would be fine, but would probably be better suited for the Campaign Bus.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast