Lonesome George Dead, Species Extinct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lonesome George Dead, Species Extinct

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Lonesome George Dead, Species Extinct

World loses species with death of Lonesome George - Yahoo! News

I've been waiting for a week to start a new thread, but my father showed me this news, and I had to post it quick for you guys to see after the remembrance of the extinct subspecies of the Black Rhino. I've made a brief mention of him from my Spanish presentation back in college. He was the very last of his kind due to humans bringing non-native animals into Pinta Island, stealing all the food resources from those tortoises. His passing made me realize that all our efforts to save these animals from the hands of human activity were all in vain, and it made me lose more of my faith in humanity as a whole.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lonesome George Dead, Species Extinct

So it goes.
    That's nice.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    [His passing made me realize that all our efforts to save these animals from the hands of human activity were all in vain, and it made me lose more of my faith in humanity as a whole.
    That is untrue. Look at all of the successful restoration programs (the California condor, the black-footed ferret) for proof. It is impossible to restore a species from one specimen, so of course any effort to restore the Pinta tortoise would have been in vain.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

That's really sad...

However, I hate to sound insensitive, but this isn't a lot more significant than the loss of one tortoise. If he truly was the last of his species, then there was little to no chance of the species making a rebound.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    However, I hate to sound insensitive, but this isn't a lot more significant than the loss of one tortoise. If he truly was the last of his species, then there was little to no chance of the species making a rebound.
    The true significance of this death is what it represents. A subspecies is gone largely because of our actions. We need to redouble our efforts to save species whose existences we've put in peril, or more events like this will begin happening more and more frequently.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    [His passing made me realize that all our efforts to save these animals from the hands of human activity were all in vain, and it made me lose more of my faith in humanity as a whole.
    That is untrue. Look at all of the successful restoration programs (the California condor, the black-footed ferret) for proof. It is impossible to restore a species from one specimen, so of course any effort to restore the Pinta tortoise would have been in vain.
    But often (not always) our restoration programs are trying to restore something that we fucked up in the first place. If you burn down someone's house then build them a shack, have you really done a good thing overall?
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    But often (not always) our restoration programs are trying to restore something that we fucked up in the first place. If you burn down someone's house then build them a shack, have you really done a good thing overall?
    So we shouldn't do anything to correct our errors? That what you're saying?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Umm, no, it's definitely not what I'm saying.
    That's nice.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've known about Lonesome George for many years. I feel empty inside knowing he's gone now.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think he is clearly saying that "it is better to prevent than repair." Yeah, we have been on a destruction spree in the past and we should correct it. But i personally believe that most corrective actions are "too little, too late." We have already lost some species like dodo and the great Auk and the passenger pigeon and the way we are going we are gonna kill some more. I mean are we doing enough to prevent global warming, poaching, etc although we are aware of how it is happening, its effects? We were destroying in the past and we are still doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

This just proves we need to start being more careful with what we do so a lot more species like that tortoise dont go extinct. It is impossible to restore a species with one individual, efforts ought to be taken to keep more species dont go extinct, it is too late when there is only one left.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

This is sad, but I really wonder how many people will actually take any lesson from it and do their part to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

It's really sad that George didn't know how to copulate successfully, thus never producing any offspring :( I'll miss you, George! :((((

"seasons change, people change"

追放されたバカ

This is proof that we need to perfect cloning technology, in order to make more of human greed-murdered species, like the Pinta Island Tortoise, the Black Rhino, and the Yangtze River Dolphin.

Lonesome George, I hope after your necropsy, you get a proper funeral, as the last of your kind...
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VictreebelGrande View Post
    This is proof that we need to perfect cloning technology, in order to make more of human greed-murdered species, like the Pinta Island Tortoise, the Black Rhino, and the Yangtze River Dolphin.
    Apparently, you haven't read the original novel of Jurassic Park about the negativity of cloning technology.
    Kaori likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast