KONY 2012 (Uganda's Child Soldiers)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: KONY 2012 (Uganda's Child Soldiers)

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

Default KONY 2012 (Uganda's Child Soldiers)

KONY 2012 - YouTube

Watch, share, discuss.

I am personally going to do all I can to help this cause. I'm unsure if I'll be able to participate in the Blanket The Night event, as I'll be in France then. But maybe.
    Xali likes this.
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Default Re: KONY 2012 (Uganda's Child Soldiers)

I've already seen it.I signed the pledge, but since I have no job, I can't afford to do much more. I don't know if I can do the Blanket The Night event, I'll most likely forget about it and fall asleep. Though I'm willing to do all I can to put Kony to an end even if I have to make my own signs and banners.

«Hardest VA Job ever!» Netto Azure's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I remember my HS World History teacher showing us the main documentary "Invisible Children" years ago and am quite surprised at this major push this year that quickly gained steam in social media.

I was wondering what happened to it.

Still it's good that people are supporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokelova View Post
    KONY 2012 - YouTube
    I'm unsure if I'll be able to participate in the Blanket The Night event, as I'll be in France then. But maybe.
    Oh please, if what I was told about the French and their Eiffel Tower is true, then they won't mind some colorful posters being added to it.

(I was told they strongly disliked the Eiffel Tower when it was first built)

I'm gonna see if I can buy the kit and go plastering posters on that Friday night lol
    From the PE2K URPG section.
    Yes I am a ref & yes, I made Soviet Bidoof

Questions/Comments/Concerns --> Imperialpineaple on aim.

SumerianRevenant 7:06 pm
    Ambipom @ 43.78% Par Spe+1 | Jolteon @ 88.62% Spe+1 | Moves?
    SR
    No
    I have done it both ways, multiple times
    And always get complaints either way
    SO FUUUUUUUU
    URPG Stats
    Challenge my PE2K URPG Gym: Sunyshore

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Gama likes this.

"Might be" and if it anything fishy comes up, like the video itself said, "The peoples' demands will make the government look into it"

For now I'm just supporting its "awareness", as far as my statement about buying the kit, I'm still going to do research to see if it's worthwhile and not a scam as you've pointed out.
    From the PE2K URPG section.
    Yes I am a ref & yes, I made Soviet Bidoof

Questions/Comments/Concerns --> Imperialpineaple on aim.

SumerianRevenant 7:06 pm
    Ambipom @ 43.78% Par Spe+1 | Jolteon @ 88.62% Spe+1 | Moves?
    SR
    No
    I have done it both ways, multiple times
    And always get complaints either way
    SO FUUUUUUUU
    URPG Stats
    Challenge my PE2K URPG Gym: Sunyshore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    It's a legitimate organization. And quite established actually ever since their documentary came out 6 years ago.

Invisible Children - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still most of the worries has been, as per any charity, the percentage by which the money is allocated and such. Also as people know, supporting the local government which is quite susceptible to corruption.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

The more I learn about Invisible Children the less I take it seriously. Food for thought: Taking ‘Kony 2012′ Down A Notch | Justice in Conflict
    Gama likes this.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I've read through a couple of these anti-KONY 2012 websites, but I still have yet to see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing for Kony to be killed or captured.
    That's nice.

Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's good to keep an objective eye before pressing on with support. The eventual goal here is to stumble aimlessly in a jungle to capture one man and smack him with some justice, is that where your money should go? It's rarely these organizations are trustworthy in where the money goes, but at least you'll feel good about yourself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    I've read through a couple of these anti-KONY 2012 websites, but I still have yet to see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing for Kony to be killed or captured.
    Seems to me, the point isn't that it wouldn't be a good thing, but that it would be a useless thing. "Stopping" him for the sake of feeling good about ourselves instead of for actually helping anybody.

Besides, if what those articles say is true and they really are looking into peace, it might even be a bad thing to take out the big man. There's usually someone there to take his place, and revenge might be called for.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post
    It's good to keep an objective eye before pressing on with support. The eventual goal here is to stumble aimlessly in a jungle to capture one man and smack him with some justice, is that where your money should go? It's rarely these organizations are trustworthy in where the money goes, but at least you'll feel good about yourself.
    Where my money should go is my own choice. Also, IC is extremely transparent about what they do with their money. A breakdown of all of their expenditures is publicly available.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhazhiphor View Post
    Seems to me, the point isn't that it wouldn't be a good thing, but that it would be a useless thing. "Stopping" him for the sake of feeling good about ourselves instead of for actually helping anybody.

Besides, if what those articles say is true and they really are looking into peace, it might even be a bad thing to take out the big man. There's usually someone there to take his place, and revenge might be called for.
    I think killing a man who captures children to use as soldiers would probably help at least one person. The person who would take his place is his second in command, Vincent Otti. He was the second person on that ICC list that they showed in the film. I would hope that if they are going through the trouble to hunt down Kony, they might as well take this guy out as well.

EDIT: Actually I lied, Vincent Otti is dead.

Cutting off the head has always been a major part of any military strategy. Have you ever played chess? Once the king is mated, it doesn't matter how many other pieces are on the board.
    Last edited by TheMissingno.; 8th March 2012 at 03:08 PM.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    The more I learn about Invisible Children the less I take it seriously. Food for thought: Taking ‘Kony 2012′ Down A Notch | Justice in Conflict
    InvisibleChildren

Here they go line by line to each of the criticisms raised for the past 3 days.

Example:
    RE: OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF A COMPLEX ISSUE

KONY 2012 portrays, in no uncertain terms, the image of a madman who manipulates children spiritually for his own tactical gains. In our quest to garner wide public support of nuanced policy, Invisible Children has sought to explain the conflict in an easily understandable format, focusing on the core attributes of LRA leadership that infringe upon the most basic of human rights. In a 30-minute film, however, many nuances of the 26-year conflict are admittedly lost or overlooked. The film is a first entry point to this conflict for many, and the organization provides several ways for our supporters to go deeper in learning about the make-up of the LRA and the history of the conflict. Likewise, our work on the ground continually adapts to the changing complexities of the conflict.

Blog Entries

So fu*king tired of this getting spammed every fu*king place I go. I went to Wal-Mart and there were (supposedly) Invisible Children employees asking for donations.
    Gligar13 and Misato Katsuragi like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMijzelno. View Post
    Cutting off the head has always been a major part of any military strategy. Have you ever played chess? Once the king is mated, it doesn't matter how many other pieces are on the board.
    Of course; I love chess. There's one difference, though, which is what I was saying in my post - in chess, when the king is checkmated, it's game over. There isn't a second king to take its place. But in real life organizations, there's a decent chance there's a second in command. Even if the one we knew about is gone already, who's to say somebody didn't get promoted?

I'm not, by any means, saying that he shouldn't be punished for what he's done. But the manner in which the punishment is delivered should be very carefully thought over. You never know if a right hand man might take his place and turn out to be even worse.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast