Japan Passes Jail-for-Downloaders Anti-Piracy Law - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Japan Passes Jail-for-Downloaders Anti-Piracy Law

Blog Entries

Default Re: Japan Passes Jail-for-Downloaders Anti-Piracy Law

So just briefly touching on this...if we ever want to watch an anime, we would have to go to Funimation/Crunchyroll/whatever else to watch them? And subs are illegal everywhere (Even if licensed by Funimation)?

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

In all honesty, I'm a little bit confused by the article. Too many holes in this, so to speak. It's not very informative.

For instance, in electronic stores, there's software one can buy for the specific purpose of ripping/copying cds and DVDs. Perfectly legal. Also, here in Japan, people can rent cds (and I'm sure they copy them). They have many cd/DVD rental shops. So, you can buy the software to perform these tasks, but you get in trouble if you use it? Does this apply only to cds or DVDs that people rent, or does this apply to those who own them as well? Can they copy them and keep them for personal reasons (for example, transferring them to an mp3 player, or changing the format so you can have a copy on your PSP, etc.)?

For those who go to websites that are legal to view/use in other countries, will it be banned/blocked to those in Japan or those with a Japanese IP address?

Now the biggest question is, how will they even enforce it? I don't download much of anything, but I do dl three things from back home (two out of the three are on break for the summer). If I did so, would I get in trouble for it based on Japan's new bill, even if it wouldn't be if in the US? It definitely needs more specifics here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    So just briefly touching on this...if we ever want to watch an anime, we would have to go to Funimation/Crunchyroll/whatever else to watch them? And subs are illegal everywhere (Even if licensed by Funimation)?
    Probably fansubs would be, not legal ones put out by the groups you mentioned, for example.
    Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; 26th July 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Hufflepuff is the place to be as loyalty and fairplay are very important to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I'm fairly certain Japanese laws won't have any jurisdiction outside of Japan. So if you're illegally downloading and watching anime in America, this law would not affect you. The only effect it would have on international audiences is that it might make things more difficult to find.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I'm not sure how this will effect even fansubs. We have no way of knowing where people get the videos of episodes, as well as where they're from. It also seems to be only directed at adults, though that depends on the age of kids the article was talking about.

100% Tsundere BMGF Anime Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this is true then sites like animehere will be feeling it big time as most of their anime is direct from Japan though we know the anime/manga world has been covered but what of anime image related sites like safebooru,Pixiv,Minitokyo?

We have no way of knowing where people get the videos of episodes
    ^Simple enough all^that is doing is forcing people to buy anime/manga the official way buy it in a shop/online
    Last edited by BMGF Anime Master; 26th July 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Alright, I thought this law was implementing things on a much more massive scale. Guess not.

Though it sucks that if we don't have the means of getting Youtube and/or Funimation/Crunchyroll, we're pretty much stuck with actually buying the series without taking a "dip". I guess you have AMV's, but those can't really sum up an entire show (unless the AMV is directly pointed toawrd a series).

Blog Entries

Well whatever the future of this is you can bet that Animehere will suffer heavily for it

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

o_O although this is a rather good thing in terms of law, for me.... if I can't watch Kuroko no basket, then my life is in RUINS

I'm pretty sure accessing Anime through FUNimation and Crunchyroll are perfectly legal since they are just Subs that fund the actual Japanese Companies digitally. Fansubs however don't which is what Japan doesn't like from us.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This is absolute and utter bullsh*t. So 4chan and websites like that are allowed to illegally leak CoroCoro several days before its released, and some source is allowed to give Pokemon episode screenshots to Serebii.net and other fan sites, but subbed anime is illegal? Either have one banned, or the other banned, or both banned. This is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    This is absolute and utter bullsh*t. So 4chan and websites like that are allowed to illegally leak CoroCoro several days before its released, and some source is allowed to give Pokemon episode screenshots to Serebii.net and other fan sites, but subbed anime is illegal? Either have one banned, or the other banned, or both banned. This is unacceptable.
    Those sites aren't "allowed to," there's just no way to track down the uploader and prosecute.

I say good for Japan. I'm very against piracy in any form. Hopefully this returns money to the industry.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmearglePaints View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    Those sites aren't "allowed to," there's just no way to track down the uploader and prosecute.

I say good for Japan. I'm very against piracy in any form. Hopefully this returns money to the industry.
    No, there is a way to track down the uploader. I think we all remember Victinigate when M13 was released.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't subs already illegal but it's just that nobody gives a fuck?

Hey, I'm no Law expert but doesn't uploading a subbed anime without the creator's permission fall under "copyright infringement"?

Blog Entries

uploading a subbed anime without the creator's permission fall under "copyright infringement"
    ^Well if you pay a visit to animehere it would not seem that way as I've just been there and all that you can see is the anime name and either raw or sub next to it

A whole load of Hoopa Hyperion09's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Hyperion09 On Twitter
    Follow Hyperion09 on Tumblr Visit Hyperion09's Youtube Channel

>implying this will do jack-shit to stop filesharing

Come on. People have always found ways around crap like this, this isn't any different.

LiveJournal | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingdomkid
    I thought air was free but they sell them in plastic bags and comes with a hand full of chips!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast