ISIS declares New Islamic State - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISIS declares New Islamic State

Default Re: ISIS declares New Islamic State

I understand the need not to over estimate them, and not be concerned, but on the other end there is a need to not under estimate them. The U.N. just reported that ISIS has taken nuclear material from a Iraqi University, and has taken old stock piles of Saddam's WMDs from the 90s.

Exclusive - Iraq tells U.N. that 'terrorist groups' seized nuclear materials

ISIS is clearly pursuing WMDs from these recent activities, and they have shown a clear want to attack the west. While they may not be the most stable terrorist group out there, and could collapse under it's own infighting. There activities to capture material to make a WMD should atleast be taken seriously.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say so much "clearly pursuing WMDs" as "will seize opportunity to work toward getting them" because DUH. Same as any other terrorist group would do.

That said, the road from acquiring non-enriched uranium to having an actual working nuclear bomb placed somewhere that you actually want it to explode is long and hard.

Dealing with them (as in taking them out) is probably a good idea. It just has to be done right. Right, in this case, meaning the US of A (except in a support role) and Israel probably should't be the ones to crush them unless absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 10th July 2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    I wouldn't say so much "clearly pursuing WMDs" as "will seize opportunity to work toward getting them" because DUH. Same as any other terrorist group would do.

That said, the road from acquiring non-enriched uranium to having an actual working nuclear bomb placed somewhere that you actually want it to explode is long and hard.

Dealing with them (as in taking them out) is probably a good idea. It just has to be done right. Right, in this case, meaning the US of A (except in a support role) and Israel probably should't be the ones to crush them unless absolutely necessary.
    Just curious and I know neither of us are a scientist in this regard, but does anyone know if Non-Enriched Uranium can be used for a dirty bomb? Its unlikely they would get a nuclear bomb unless they bought one with all the money they are stealing from Iraqi banks, but I would think it would be easier to make something akin to a dirty bomb.

Building an effective dirty bomb isn't as trivial as it sounds and falls under the category of high-tech weapons, something ISIS will not be able to pull off. Uranium has relatively low radioactivity, so no, it's not feasible to use as material for a dirty bomb even for an organization that has access to the advanced technology required. You could induce a panic, but a regular bomb would be far more deadly.

A lot of potentially dangerous radioactive material typically used for medical purposes gets misplaced every year around the world, which is a far bigger problem than this ISIS development. There doesn't appear to be much attention directed at that, however. :P

Blog Entries

This is all very bad for all the countries involved in this war/rebellion since they are killing people of their own faith but I know the two sects have some differences but it appears it's a good excuse to eliminate the ''heretics''. I might be wrong in this regard but I don't think this new ''united'' country won't last long since there are going to be rebels trying to usurp the new government in order to liberate their respective nations and then they (leaders of the rebellion) would become just as bad as these militants.

And I don't think that this group isn't going to do any remarkable damage in the US or other countries because unfortunately there are still negative stereotypes of all Muslims being martyrs who want to commit a ''glorious dead'' (aka suicide) in order to go to Heaven even if they all don't do these acts but sadly as it seems there is still hatred of people of different countries, religions, skin color etc.

Gallifrey Stands Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post

Just curious and I know neither of us are a scientist in this regard, but does anyone know if Non-Enriched Uranium can be used for a dirty bomb? Its unlikely they would get a nuclear bomb unless they bought one with all the money they are stealing from Iraqi banks, but I would think it would be easier to make something akin to a dirty bomb.
    Assuming they could make a dirty bomb, non-enriched uranium would be useless for making it. A dirty bomb's purpose would be to distribute a high amount of radiation over a small area, and uranium is simply not radioactive enough for that. Elements such as cobalt or cesium would be a better choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12