Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

Thread: Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

Default Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

this little tidbit caught my eye:

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

WASHINGTON -- For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, DCWG | DNS Changer Working Group , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

Last November, the FBI and other authorities were preparing to take down a hacker ring that had been running an Internet ad scam on a massive network of infected computers.

"We started to realize that we might have a little bit of a problem on our hands because ... if we just pulled the plug on their criminal infrastructure and threw everybody in jail, the victims of this were going to be without Internet service," said Tom Grasso, an FBI supervisory special agent. "The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get 'page not found' and think the Internet is broken."

On the night of the arrests, the agency brought in Paul Vixie, chairman and founder of Internet Systems Consortium, to install two Internet servers to take the place of the truckload of impounded rogue servers that infected computers were using. Federal officials planned to keep their servers online until March, giving everyone opportunity to clean their computers. But it wasn't enough time. A federal judge in New York extended the deadline until July.

Now, said Grasso, "the full court press is on to get people to address this problem." And it's up to computer users to check their PCs.

This is what happened:

Hackers infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide. They took advantage of vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating system to install malicious software on the victim computers. This turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers reconcile website addresses behind the scenes on the Internet's domain name system.

The DNS system is a network of servers that translates a web address -- such as http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/www.ap.org -- into the numerical addresses that computers use. Victim computers were reprogrammed to use rogue DNS servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to fraudulent versions of any website.

The hackers earned profits from advertisements that appeared on websites that victims were tricked into visiting. The scam netted the hackers at least $14 million, according to the FBI. It also made thousands of computers reliant on the rogue servers for their Internet browsing.

When the FBI and others arrested six Estonians last November, the agency replaced the rogue servers with Vixie's clean ones. Installing and running the two substitute servers for eight months is costing the federal government about $87,000.

The number of victims is hard to pinpoint, but the FBI believes that on the day of the arrests, at least 568,000 unique Internet addresses were using the rogue servers. Five months later, FBI estimates that the number is down to at least 360,000. The U.S. has the most, about 85,000, federal authorities said. Other countries with more than 20,000 each include Italy, India, England and Germany. Smaller numbers are online in Spain, France, Canada, China and Mexico.

Vixie said most of the victims are probably individual home users, rather than corporations that have technology staffs who routinely check the computers.

FBI officials said they organized an unusual system to avoid any appearance of government intrusion into the Internet or private computers. And while this is the first time the FBI used it, it won't be the last.

"This is the future of what we will be doing," said Eric Strom, a unit chief in the FBI's Cyber Division. "Until there is a change in legal system, both inside and outside the United States, to get up to speed with the cyber problem, we will have to go down these paths, trail-blazing if you will, on these types of investigations."

Now, he said, every time the agency gets near the end of a cyber case, "we get to the point where we say, how are we going to do this, how are we going to clean the system" without creating a bigger mess than before.
    i cant help but feel this is a setup, what do you guys think?

Default Re: Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

I checked to see if this was legit. It is. Here's some info from the FBI website: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Not my computer, as I've already tested it.

It's not a setup, it's a cost saving measure. Those who don't take the time to secure their systems and get them updated don't deserve to complain when they're exploited by malware. I'm not even computer literate and I know this.

well that's certainly good to hear, now to wait an see how this will all play out hopefully most will be smart and keep themselves secure. although i feel some are paranoid about the FBI after the whole mega video incident, so i wouldn't blame them if they were a bit stand offish.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well this surely sucks if the worst comes to plan. Hopefully these measures will ensure it doesn't happen though.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The poor uninformed public... I pity thee. It amazes me how much the internet went from something secondary to phone in communication... to the stuff that keeps everyone together.

By the way, I never really understood this, but how do hackers make so much money just by redirecting peoples' website requests?
    Oh?

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

DNS Resolution = GREEN

Your computer appears to be looking up IP addresses correctly!
    Apparently, I'm perfectly okay, though I personally think this may be a set up so that congress can get away with trying to pass another internet censorship bill in the same vein as CISPA and ACTA, but that's just what I think

Besides, if my internet was at risk, Kapersky Internet Security would let me know about it in a pop-up, and then block the threat.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Quote Originally Posted by 33Whimsicott33 View Post
    By the way, I never really understood this, but how do hackers make so much money just by redirecting peoples' website requests?
    I don't know how they do it, but I can certainly think of some potential.
    For example, phishing. Make a page that looks exactly like amazon.com and then make it so when the user types "amazon.com" then he is redirected to your fake Amazon page. He then types in his account information... maybe even a credit card number... and there you go.

A magnetic personality Analytic Magnezone's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I got green, so that's a relief. Unless the hackers figured out to make an imposter of that website already to make us think we didn't have the virus.

Banner by Blue Dragon | Crystal Onix | Shiny Metagross | Iron Defense | Black 2 FC: 2967 7719 9235

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneTheRoboteon View Post
    DNS Resolution = GREEN

Your computer appears to be looking up IP addresses correctly!
    Apparently, I'm perfectly okay, though I personally think this may be a set up so that congress can get away with trying to pass another internet censorship bill in the same vein as CISPA and ACTA, but that's just what I think

Besides, if my internet was at risk, Kapersky Internet Security would let me know about it in a pop-up, and then block the threat.
    If you have working internet security, you're fine. The malware in question disables it if you're infected.

But thinking it's a plot to pass legislation or lock the internet is unhealthy suspicion. The FBI has given plenty of warning and even delayed their initial shutdown. If people lose access due to the shutdown, they have nobody but themselves to blame.

mainly people are worried about the FBI is because of tracking cookies. i wouldn't want the government snooping around my stuff for any reason. its a battle between villain versus villain, no matter who wins, we lose.

FBI is on it? Must be pretty serious
    Check out my group: Talk to me!

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

Phew. Green!

Woe down to those who has infected computers.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I hope that's only done in the US XDDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense View Post
    I got green, so that's a relief. Unless the hackers figured out to make an imposter of that website already to make us think we didn't have the virus.
    If they did, I wouldn't even know cos I'm pretty computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like that. z.z But I'm 99% sure my compy is clean of bugs and all that.