DIPLOMACY: Gilad Shalit to be released from five year captivity!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Porygon3.14
  • 1 Post By Big Lutz

Thread: Gilad Shalit to be released from five year captivity!

Zak

Default Gilad Shalit to be released from five year captivity!

About damn time.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 20th October 2011 at 03:13 AM.
    When the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in a bottle full of water on a noodle-eating poodle, it’s a tweedle beetle noodle poodle water bottle paddle battle.

Proud defender of peace in the Middle East, and hater of Israel-bashers

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gilad Shalit to be released from five year captivity!

Uh, better article found here.

Gilad Shalit is hardly being "released," anyhow: he's being traded for--so far as I understand it anyway.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Head Bus Driver Big Lutz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

For apparently 1,000 prisoners... ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz View Post
    For apparently 1,000 prisoners... ugh
    Unfortunately, that's only a small fraction of Israel's political prisoners.
    Jean Meslier likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porygon3.14 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's only a small fraction of Israel's political prisoners.
    I am sure Israel has a different name for them, like you know, terrorists, failed suicide bombers, etc etc etc.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I'm moving this - provisionally - at the request of the original poster. The head of NOTW, Every Breaking Wave, will get the final call on whether to allow this thread to stay here or to move it back.

As this is News of the World, and not the old real world, I'd ask people to be careful about politics in this thread, and to try and stay respectful to one another.

(Diplomacy tag approved by me as close enough, even though it technically wasn't between countries)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    Uh, better article found here.

Gilad Shalit is hardly being "released," anyhow: he's being traded for--so far as I understand it anyway.

So? That's still being released, not even "hardly". If that's what Israel has to do in order to deal with animals, so be it.

I mean, regardless of whatever he did during his career as a a soldier, they kept him there for five years and forbid his family to visit him or have any contact with him, and forbid any health services from anyone but themselves.

Seriously, is there any sane person on this board that ACTUALLY thinks this was a bad move?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lutz
    I am sure Israel has a different name for them, like you know, terrorists, failed suicide bombers, etc etc etc.
    Uh, because that's what they ARE? At least, a majority of them...

Shalit’s release will be too costly for Israel - The Boston Globe

They include the perpetrators of some of the most ghastly terrorist attacks of recent years: Brutal killers like Abd al-Aziz Salehi, who gleefully displayed his blood-soaked hands to a cheering Ramallah crowd in 2000 after lynching two Israelis and mutilating their bodies. Like Ibrahim Yunis, mastermind of a 2003 cafe bombing that left seven innocents dead, including an American-born doctor and his 20-year-old daughter on the eve of her wedding. Like Ahlam Tamimi, a Palestinian television personality who boasts of her role in organizing the 2001 bombing of a pizzeria in downtown Jerusalem, in which 15 people were killed, seven of them children.

One of the Palestinians being released today, for example, is Musab Hashlemon, who was given 17 life sentences for a Beersheba massacre he planned in 2004. That massacre occurred just months after an earlier prisoner exchange in which 435 Palestinians went free - Hashlemon among them.
    Yes Big Lutz, just a "name" Israel gives them, all right...
    Though I'll avoid generalizing and say I'm sure they aren't ALL terrorists or people who don't deserve a second chance. I mean, there are 1027 of them, I'm sure out of that many at least 10-20 of them are guilty of less extreme things.

But yes, I agree, a lot of those people don't deserve to go free really, but like I said, if that's what it takes to deal with animals, then so be it. Worst case scenario, either they'll live out their 'second chances' gracefully, or they'll pull more stuff like that and go back to prison, with no exchange.

But yeah, the prisoners that were responsible for the more serious terroristic-acts, they can still have them on probation and stuff to ensure that they don't do it again or have the resources to do so, while still permitting them to freely live their lives. Sure, it's a tad risky and degrading to Israel in the sense that it gives them no justice, but they're willing to suck that up.

Thanks for moving this back, by the way.
    Last edited by Zak; 20th October 2011 at 06:09 AM.
    When the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in a bottle full of water on a noodle-eating poodle, it’s a tweedle beetle noodle poodle water bottle paddle battle.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

More on the worst negotiator in the world after this.

If that's what Israel has to do in order to deal with animals, so be it.
    I'm very doubtful to peace in the Middle East when people call other animals, regardless of their actions...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    I'm very doubtful to peace in the Middle East when people call other animals, regardless of their actions...
    Its even more doubtful when those released turn around and say they are going to go and kill again. Or when the crowd starts chanting upon their return that they want to capture another Israeli soldier.

To put it plainly the Palestinians have shown these last few days why they do not deserve a state. When you have a rally of thousands in the West Bank calling out to capture more soldiers to hold them for ransom, you are too immature for any recognition.
    YouLookLikeBread likes this.

Blog Entries

*Facepalms* Zak, if that wasn't already clear, Lutz is pro-Israel.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    If that's what Israel has to do in order to deal with animals, so be it.
    I think we can do without denigrating other human beings. People may do monstrous things, but human beings are human beings and should not be dehumanized, no matter what their acts are.

Zak

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    *Facepalms* Zak, if that wasn't already clear, Lutz is pro-Israel.
    I know. Didn't imply otherwise. Wasn't like attacking or anything :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hcon
    Right... because one name-calling says everything. Sure, it's not exactly the nicest thing to call someone, but it actually is surprisingly pretty civil compared to other potential insults people throw around over this, and I don't think it is necessary in this case to disregard the reason for calling them that, just because someone called them that. Calling those people animals may be insulting, but you make it sound like it's a case of "you're just sinking to their level", when it's not even close to that. Not even close to close.

And I wasn't talking generalizing about Palestinians as a whole, so I'm not trying to offend anyone on this board. I was talking about the ones that Lutz described who say they'll kill again even though they released 1027 soldiers, or the people who actually thought this was a fair deal. So I guess if anyone on this board fits that bill, then sorry, I stand by that. Yes, justice is an important thing to the law and to many people, but as Israel realizes, there are things that come before it. I don't think many in Israel think it was a fair deal either, but I'm sure many support that decision solely because it was what was on the table.

Also, on this subject of "degrading human beings despite the monstrous things they do"... I sure as hell hope you weren't one of the many people celebrating Osama's death in May. It's true, there were a good handful that were disgusted at the idea of celebrating that a fellow human being is dead regardless of who he may be.

Blog Entries

That's kinda the rules he was throwing at you, Zak.
    Sooooo...watch out!

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Em, well, yes. The above discussion aside, this decision is already having quite some ripples. Egypt set to trade (<--) a not-spy for prisoners. (Added to the charges [<--] of this Israeli-American, quite out of the blue was a charge of... I guess you could call it arson? The second charge came because the first was so flimsy.)

It's not just Egypt seizing upon the deal--the Palestinian Authority is attempting to do so as well.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.