SPORTS: The General Sports Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Sports Thread

Default Re: The General Sports Thread

Excellent ride from Boom, those cyclo-cross skills came in handy for him. Hopefully not the last Dutch victory of the day.

Mega day for the GC contenders, to summarise:
    - Froome abandons the race
    - Nibali gains at least 2 minutes on GC rivals
    - Porte/Tolansky/van Garderen gain another 30 seconds on Contador

Contador especially will have to attack Nibali relentlessly in the mountains.

3DS FC: 1950-8754-3734 - IGN: Jay - FS: [Ghost]: Phantump, Shuppet, Dusclops

I'm World Class Yang Xiao Long's Avatar Forum HeadSuper Moderator
    Blog Entries

@Ivysaur; @Lyrebird;

Thanks Lyre for giving me the scoop on this but it seems like the Cavs have a better chance than first thought considering they just traded Jarrett Jack and some other spare parts (and a 2016 first rounder) to the Nets and the Celtics for cap space. That tells me something that they'd trade Jack (who while nowhere near a star provides valuable scoring and ballhandling off the bench for them) for nothing.

Not only that, but the Cavs are apparently talking to Ray Allen about signing him. Definitely signs that LeBron has expressed interest in Cleveland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Nocturnal Firelord Neo Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia StaffSuper Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit Neo Blaze's Youtube Channel

Yay Lars Boom. First Dutch Tour de France round win since 2005. Hopefully this is a precedent for today's match

Really sucks for Froome though :/

~Super Moderator~

3DS FC: 0576-4616-1571

SoFloFoSho Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    @Ivysaur; @Lyrebird;

Thanks Lyre for giving me the scoop on this but it seems like the Cavs have a better chance than first thought considering they just traded Jarrett Jack and some other spare parts (and a 2016 first rounder) to the Nets and the Celtics for cap space. That tells me something that they'd trade Jack (who while nowhere near a star provides valuable scoring and ballhandling off the bench for them) for nothing.

Not only that, but the Cavs are apparently talking to Ray Allen about signing him. Definitely signs that LeBron has expressed interest in Cleveland.
    Aack... This is making me sad. :/ I'm still clinging to the hope he stays but that's looking like a longshot now.

Blog Entries

Yeah I don't know. I mean you can't count Miami out either (he's meeting with them today I believe). But I do think Cleveland wouldn't be doing this (trading three valued assets in Jack, Tyler Zeller - low cost rebounder off the bench - and a first round pick) without good reason. Especially the pick. Because while it's a 2016 protected pick, if Cleveland doesn't get LeBron, their first rounder ends up having some decent value.

Either way I love the trade for my Celtics. They get Zeller, Marcus Thornton and a future first rounder (which gives them I think eight in the next four years) for literally nothing (they had a trade exemption from the Paul Pierce deal that the Nets and Cavs needed to make the numbers work). While the rebuild is going to be slow and painful (unless Ainge decides to go for Kevin Love), I think they're going about it in the right way. Stockpiling young players, picks and useful assets for the future.

Goddess Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

He had finished his meeting with Miami but no decision has been made. However Parsons just signed a 46m deal with Dallas, 3rd year is player option. Now this messes up Houston's plans for Bosh because they have 3 days to decide to keep Parsons and match the Mavs or let him go. They wanted both Bosh and Parsons.

Blog Entries

I'm a little sour Cleveland's front office has been so terrible and through sheer luck (hmm...) they've ended up with three #1 overall picks since LeBron left because of it. I honestly don't think they're in the running for him this year if not for Wiggins. Now they can flip him and some other assets into Kevin Love, and suddenly they've got a hell of a contender on paper.

That being said, does LeBron really want to bank several years of his prime on a supporting cast that has basically never made the playoffs? Kyrie, Waiters, Thompson and even Love (if they got him) have never played a playoff game. It'll take a while for them to mature and develop. Kyrie is a shoot-first, ball-dominating guard and it could take just as long, if not longer, for him and James to mesh than it took James and Wade.

Blog Entries

Thank you for 4 amazing years LeBron. I hope you succeed and bring that Championship back home to Ohio.

Now the dominoes begin to fall. I'm guessing Bosh to Rockets, which means Dallas may keep Parsons. Melo stays and takes the max in New York, or jump ships to Chicago. Or... Pat Riley goes to work and rebuilds around Melo? Offers 4-year max and attracts another big piece in Bosh's place?

If not, full rebuilding mode. Pay Wade his max and move on. Still, it was an amazing ride. Forever a Heat fan. #305
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 11th July 2014 at 11:40 AM.

Blog Entries

I can't say I'm shocked, but I am a bit surprised that this was such a low-key way to announce the decision. I think it's a good basketball move for LeBron (not optimal, but still good) and it's clear that he wants to go home and make things right with his hometown fans. I've been very vocal about my criticism of LeBron in the past, but I can respect that.

Cleveland is now an instant contender.

Blog Entries

The only thing I can really hold against LBJ now is that we've missed out on a lot of potential free agents (Lowry, Gortat, Hayward, Parsons, etc.) by working under the assumption we'd have no cap space for nearly the first 2 weeks of free agency. Now we have record-setting cap space... and virtually nobody to use it on. We can overpay for complimentary pieces like Deng or sign someone like Bledsoe to the max and pray Phoenix doesn't match (which they will).

Riles has a mountain to climb now and there's already been talk of him retiring for years. Who knows what happens now.

Edit: So Bosh returns on a 5-year max, $118 deal. No LeBron, no paycut. Don't know how I feel about that yet. Last thing you want in the NBA is to be mediocre: good enough to make the playoffs, bad enough not to make it far in them. His role will expand without LeBron but that's a lot of money for a 16-and-6 guy. It also kinda dashes my hopes we could've made a last-ditch shot at Melo. The Kings have also S&T'd Thomas to Phoenix, so maybe they don't match if we offer Bledsoe the max.
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 11th July 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

So Houston got ripped. Bosh is going back to Miami, Lin got traded for nothing, Parsons will want to go to Dallas who just lost Carter to Memphis. So yeah Houston messed this one up.

Blog Entries

So Miami just signed Deng. I really do hope we make a run at Bledsoe; maybe throw in Cole in a sign-and-trade. Pheonix has enough point guards to justify avoiding paying Bledsoe at a premium. We can use the rest our cap space to re-sign Wade, Haslem and Birdman, and use the exceptions for McBob and Granger like we had always planned.

Yes, it all borders on totally unrealistic optimism on my part, but should it happen, a starting nucleus of Bledsoe, Wade, Deng, McRoberts and Bosh can still make some noise in the East. Throw in Napier, Granger, Haslem and Birdman off the bench and we've honestly got a pretty nice team. There's some young key pieces there and we owe Cleveland our first-rounder this year anyway, so there's no sense in tanking.
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 13th July 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Suns will match for Bledsoe. They won't want to lose what made them strong last season. Heat seems around 6th-8th in East even with that team.

Bulls, Cavs, Pacers, Hawks, Wizards and Raptors are better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Suns will match for Bledsoe. They won't want to lose what made them strong last season. Heat seems around 6th-8th in East even with that team.

Bulls, Cavs, Pacers, Hawks, Wizards and Raptors are better.
    Probably true, aaaannnnd Chalmers is back so that dream is dead. </3

We've still got some cash, so wonder who we're going after now (and what happens to Cole). What an offseason of terribly missed opportunities so far. We started with practically nothing on the books, and in turn lost the best player in the word and brought back a good portion of the supporting cast that collapsed last year in the Finals. So much more could've been done. :/

Rockets will also not match for Parsons, so at least I can take a little joy at how badly Houston messed up this offseason. They've basically lost Asik, Parsons, Lin, and a 1st+2nd round-pick all for nothing. The Cavs and the Mavs won this year, Spurs stay at the top.
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 13th July 2014 at 05:28 PM.

Le Tour contenders are dropping like flies! Contador abandons the Tour de France after a nasty accident which was bad enough to snap the frame of his cycle.

Nibali is a clear favourite now; his team are as strong as other GC contenders, but he is probably the best climber left.

3DS FC: 1950-8754-3734 - IGN: Jay - FS: [Ghost]: Phantump, Shuppet, Dusclops

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast