SPORTS: The General Sports Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Sports Thread

Happy in love Neo Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior AdministratorModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Neo Blaze's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The General Sports Thread

Watching the World Cup Field Hockey ain't that bad either. I mean I wouldn't watch field hockey on a regular basis like I do with other sports, but watching a game once in a while ain't that bad and it can be pretty exciting. Especially when The Netherlands is in both the Women's and Men's final, both against Australia (nice warm-up for Wednesday's football match against Australia).

Goddess Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Kookaburras do it. Gold Medal for the men's Hockey team.

Also Congrats to the San Antonio Spurs for winning the NBA Championship. Clinical team effort.

Red Hot Gym Leader Flannery's Avatar Forum HeadModerator
    Blog Entries

Go Spurs!

And tonight is the WC opener for the Americans. So excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

So Wimbledon starts soon which is pretty neat. I want to see a lot of upsets.

Moderator Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

LeBron's opted out, as expected. Puts the pressure on Riley now to bring in some young new pieces. A lot of that will be contingent on Wade, Bosh and Haslem following suit and signing longer, cheaper deals. Snagging either Lowry or Ariza would be great; both can score and are good defenders. Gasol would be a great fit too, he helps out with rebounding and we can keep Bosh at the 4.

What makes things tricky is that Wade is nowhere near the player he used to be. He's set to be paid over 42+ million the next two years and absolutely deserves that money, and he also knows he's never gonna sign a deal worth anywhere near that much again. No one could blame him for opting in, but I honestly don't think LeBron comes back if he does.

The Rockets are the best team that have the space to sign him, but LeBron does care about his legacy and it would take a big hit if he left to team up with a better team again. Same thing goes for LeBron and Melo, in New York, Miami or elsewhere. (As a Heat fan of course I don't want to see him go anywhere, but if he does leave, he should sign with the Suns. That'd be an amazing team to watch.)
    say goodbye to sunshine, sunshine

Blog Entries

LeBron could also go to Chicago. Or LA (shudders).

Here's how I'd rank them, specifically from a basketball standpoint.

1. Chicago: In Chicago, you'd be pairing Derrick Rose (assuming his knees are recovered) with LeBron. Two elite scorers AND two elite passers AND two elite defenders (as much as I dislike LeBron I have to admit his skillset is simply incredible). And add in the other pieces - Joakim Noah (a player I absolutely hate like LeBron but again I have to admit he has quite a nice set of skills) and Taj Gibson, and you get a quartet that would instantly be the best team in the East and a perennial title contender.

2. Houston. This would be a little crazy, but if one GM could pull off all of the maneuvers to finagle the required cap space it would be Daryl Morey in Houston. The only reason I don't have this team above Chicago (If they pulled it off you're looking at a core of James, Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons) is that I just don't see how they pull off the cap space issue (that and there's no way they can also fit a long term deal for Parsons under the cap along with the three stars). But like the Chicago scenario, Houston instantly becomes the favorite in the West and a championship contender.

3. Los Angeles. Now this seems crazy, but there are two things to note

- LA has the seventh pick in the draft. This means that they're going to be getting a top rookie (or failing that some assets. There's talk that they're going to trade the 7 pick to Philly along with Steve Nash's expiring for Thaddeus Young and Michael Carter-Williams)

- LA has the cap space to bring in both LeBron and Carmelo Anthony.

Assuming that trade happens (which needs to for cap reasons) you're looking at a team of LeBron, Carmelo, Kobe Bryant, Michael Carter-Williams and a bunch of pieces. They'll shoot the lights off everyone else in the building (defense on the other hand would be an issue as well as sharing the ball). If the trade doesn't happen, you're looking at a team of LeBron, Carmelo, Bryant, Nash's corpse and pick 7 (which in this deep draft is still a nice asset).

4. Phoenix. I'm with you, this would be a fun team to watch. Same issue as the Suns of old though, can they stop anybody?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    1. Chicago: In Chicago, you'd be pairing Derrick Rose (assuming his knees are recovered) with LeBron. Two elite scorers AND two elite passers AND two elite defenders (as much as I dislike LeBron I have to admit his skillset is simply incredible). And add in the other pieces - Joakim Noah (a player I absolutely hate like LeBron but again I have to admit he has quite a nice set of skills) and Taj Gibson, and you get a quartet that would instantly be the best team in the East and a perennial title contender.
    True, that's just as dangerous of a team as the Rockets (and better-coached). Not only that, but you're also in the East. Who's going to stop them from making the Finals every year? The Pacers?

- LA has the seventh pick in the draft. This means that they're going to be getting a top rookie (or failing that some assets. There's talk that they're going to trade the 7 pick to Philly along with Steve Nash's expiring for Thaddeus Young and Michael Carter-Williams)

Assuming that trade happens (which needs to for cap reasons) you're looking at a team of LeBron, Carmelo, Kobe Bryant, Michael Carter-Williams and a bunch of pieces. They'll shoot the lights off everyone else in the building (defense on the other hand would be an issue as well as sharing the ball). If the trade doesn't happen, you're looking at a team of LeBron, Carmelo, Bryant, Nash's corpse and pick 7 (which in this deep draft is still a nice asset).
    It could happen, but I'm not sure if either LeBron or Melo has any interest in playing with Kobe (I definitely don't think LeBron is looking to help Kobe pad out his ring total). I think if LeBron comes to L.A., he's joining the Clippers. He's super-close with CP3 and really respects Doc Rivers, and the Sterling mess should be cleaned up by then. You'd need a sign-and-trade though, and the Clippers are probably looking at giving up Blake Griffin in return to make it work.

4. Phoenix. I'm with you, this would be a fun team to watch. Same issue as the Suns of old though, can they stop anybody?
    Bledsoe and LeBron are good individual defenders, but they'd need an upgrade at Center who could protect the paint (and with all their cap space and picks, that's definitely within the realm of possibility). That, and I don't think anybody could coach defense worse than D'Antoni. :P

Blog Entries

EEEEEEEESH I completely forgot about the Clippers. You're right, the Clippers are a very promising location as well (and with Steve Ballmer's money they'll be willing to go over the tax).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    LeBron could also go to Chicago. Or LA (shudders).

Here's how I'd rank them, specifically from a basketball standpoint.

2. Houston. This would be a little crazy, but if one GM could pull off all of the maneuvers to finagle the required cap space it would be Daryl Morey in Houston. The only reason I don't have this team above Chicago (If they pulled it off you're looking at a core of James, Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons) is that I just don't see how they pull off the cap space issue (that and there's no way they can also fit a long term deal for Parsons under the cap along with the three stars). But like the Chicago scenario, Houston instantly becomes the favorite in the West and a championship contender.

1 - No. They will go for Melo and no way that Boozer gets amnestied
    2 - Unless Harden goes and Lin's toxic contract is gone then nope. Then they have to make sure that no one tries to get Parsons due to a restrictive FA. They will have to match if they want him. They can either have Melo or nothing
    3 - Nope, no money will be available for FA of LeBron's caliber especially with Kobe's contract, Sacre and Nash being the only signed players.
    4 - Massive step down from Miami. Would have the worse issues in the front court. Channing Fyre, Plumlee and Okafor aren't a good front court.
    5 - No chance for the Clippers unless they move Blake Griffin which they won't.
    6 - Bad blood between Gilbert and LeBron. Plus other than Irving there is not much. Deng will go, Hawes will go and you are just left with rookies no matter how good they are, they are still rookies. Love may go but he is a terrible defender and the problem that Miami had was no rim protector.

It is going to be Miami especially with LeBron pushing for Napier to be at Miami.

Rebellion of the Cats Wintersun's Avatar

Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera signed by Manchester United. Looks like they're rebuilding already,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    1 - No. They will go for Melo and no way that Boozer gets amnestied
    2 - Unless Harden goes and Lin's toxic contract is gone then nope. Then they have to make sure that no one tries to get Parsons due to a restrictive FA. They will have to match if they want him. They can either have Melo or nothing
    3 - Nope, no money will be available for FA of LeBron's caliber especially with Kobe's contract, Sacre and Nash being the only signed players.
    4 - Massive step down from Miami. Would have the worse issues in the front court. Channing Fyre, Plumlee and Okafor aren't a good front court.
    5 - No chance for the Clippers unless they move Blake Griffin which they won't.
    6 - Bad blood between Gilbert and LeBron. Plus other than Irving there is not much. Deng will go, Hawes will go and you are just left with rookies no matter how good they are, they are still rookies. Love may go but he is a terrible defender and the problem that Miami had was no rim protector.

It is going to be Miami especially with LeBron pushing for Napier to be at Miami.
    At this point there's not much mutual interest between the Bulls and LeBron and the Clippers consider Blake untouchable, so we can pretty much rule those two out. Some are saying Houston might actually try to sign-and-trade James Harden for LeBron if they can't unload Lin, but that's the longest of longshots and they still need to deal with re-signing Parsons (or possibly letting him go).

I still think the Cavs are in it. With some time to develop chemistry, Wiggins, Irving, Thompson and even Bennet could make a hell of a supporting cast. If LeBron came back, the homecoming headlines would shroud the fact that this would be a better, younger, more talented team than what the Heat would have years down the road.

We somehow got Napier and obviously that made LeBron happy, but I don't think he's the answer to our problems. Chalmers (and Cole) are good point guards. Rio had a terrible finals, but just last year he had a 19pt game in SA and 20pts in Game 6. He faltered this year, but then again so did everyone not named LeBron. The boards and defense is where we really need some upgrades.
    Last edited by Ivysaur; 27th June 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Nick Kyrgios nuff said. However I hope Australia doesn't put too much pressure on him though.

For anyone interested in the Tour de France, Chris Froome (defending champion) has just abandoned the race. He's crashed 3 times in 2 stages, twice today. This stage has looked horrible to ride even before the cobbles are taken into account, quite a few fallers.

3DS FC: 1950-8754-3734 - IGN: Jay - FS: [Ghost]: Phantump, Shuppet, Dusclops

My compatriot Lars Boom is now beasting towards the leading group
    Good!

Many people fell already
    And many will follow
    Difficult stage, this is
    With the rain and the cobblestones

Go Boom!

You can finally give us a stage win again! It's been nine years, but that drought can come to an end today!
    *cheers*

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast