Does "love at first sight" exist?

View Poll Results: Is "love at first sight" a real thing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe this exists.

9 21.95%
  • No, I do not believe this is real.

27 65.85%
  • I'm not sure.

5 12.20%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does "love at first sight" exist?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Does "love at first sight" exist?

"Love at first sight" is talked about a lot - it's mentioned all the time in movies, on TV, and it's also talked about by people in real life. Do any of you think that something like that actually exists? Can somebody fall in love - actual love - with someone that they only see for the first time, not knowing anything about their personality or beliefs, or is it just the human fixation on appearances taking over their emotions?

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Default Re: Does "love at first sight" exist?

I think the only way it can be kinda possible is if you are instantly really attracted to a person at first sight and then later realize that you actually love him/her (when you've talked to, or been around the person, perhaps). But I don't think you can truly love someone who you don't know at all purely because you're attracted to them physically. That would probably be a bit naive, maybe?
    Last edited by GatoRage; 20th December 2011 at 06:38 PM.
    Stormbringer, Jaden and Pyradox like this.

Blog Entries

Essentially what Gatorage said.

There is a difference between lust and love.

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

No. As ^^ said, you might look at a person and say "Wow, they're pretty good-looking," but I don't think you can fall in love with somebody you don't even know.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Absolutely not. There's a different word for love at first sight, and it's lust. You cannot fall in love with someone the moment you meet them; you first need to get to know them and discover what kind of person they are, what are their morals and flaws, etc. If you think you're in love with someone at first sight, you're not really. You're in lust.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    Absolutely not. There's a different word for love at first sight, and it's lust. You cannot fall in love with someone the moment you meet them; you first need to get to know them and discover what kind of person they are, what are their morals and flaws, etc. If you think you're in love with someone at first sight, you're not really. You're in lust.
    I absolutely agree. That's precisely why the word "lust" exists (well, apart from the fact that we'd be short one Deadly Sin if it didn't ). It's possible to fall for someone at first sight and then grow to actually love them, but I suspect that that doesn't happen all that often.

My current girlfriend isn't someone I fell for immediately; hell, I knew her for years (not very closely, mind), and I wasn't remotely attracted to her during that time. If we hadn't become close friends, I'm positive that we wouldn't be together right now. It takes time to fall in love with someone, not flash-in-the-pan aesthetic appeal.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Why do you guys think that some people might say that something was "love at first sight" - do they not know what actual love feels like, maybe?

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Corpus Juris Civilis View Post
    Why do you guys think that some people might say that something was "love at first sight" - do they not know what actual love feels like, maybe?

I think it's very much possible that they think it was true love at first sight. But as others have pointed out, the initial feeling was most likely lust, which the person might have mistaken for love (since he/she later grew to truly love the other person).
    Serenity likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Nah, it doesn't exist. Well, you CAN feel attracted to someone you just met. Because their face is beautiful? Because their body looks damn sexy? Because their voice just makes you melt? They could have the factors you'd prefer in your special someone, and you're immediately attracted - but it's more like "Wow, this person has such likable traits!" thing rather than real love.

My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

Like Destiny Queen said, I think you can have attraction at first sight. But love? I highly doubt it. I personally think that you should get to know someone and know them for a little while before deciding to even think about taking it farther than friendship. I mean, while you take time to know them, you will see their good days, bad days, etc. It's more than just about the good things. You have to be willing to accept the bad things too.

No. Lust at first sight exists. Physical attraction, I mean.

Love is something that develops over time. (*´∀`*) I guess lust falls under that category too, as I didn't find my current boyfriend attractive until we had become close friends, and he's the love of my life now. Funny how things work like that.

Blog Entries

I've never witnessed it, nor experienced it, nor known anyone who has (and that's a ton of people).

So no. It doesn't happen