SCIENCE: DISCUSSION - What was the most important invention in the 20th century - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DISCUSSION - What was the most important invention in the 20th century

Default Re: DISCUSSION - What was the most important invention in the 20th century

I'm going to say that more specifically than the internet, the most important development was Wikipedia. Because the original internet was more or less an improved telephone, but the idea of putting all of humanity's collective knowledge on there is what makes it great.

For a personal example, I grew up out in the boonies where schooling is terrible. I learned SO MUCH from the internet, and wikipedia specifically. I know anyone can put anything on there, but if you're a rural kid who actually wants to learn a basic overview of scientific concepts/history, that is by far the best tool. I know I'm not the only one from that situation who is immensely thankful for the idea of putting knowledge online.

"The Purest Excitement" AbareKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DISCUSSION - What was the most important invention in the 20th century

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    A military historian would be able to give better info than I can, but I am reminded of the fact that the Tokyo bombings killed more people than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings combined. Major powers already had the capacity to create massive collateral damage, especially in densely populated areas like Tokyo and Gaza. Nuclear weapons have improved since WWII, and regular weapons have also improved to reduce collateral damage.
    Not mention the 2 a bombing did NOTHING to cause japan's surrender (because of the fir bombings of cities) the russian invading manchuria and that one island did that

mine would have to be the V-1 and a V-2 missles because without them and the german rocket scientists that saturn family and apollo 11 and from there that knowledge gave us the shuttle and the ability to do Hubble not to mention all the cool inventions NASA has made that people use today

Like a Goddess Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvelous View Post
    A military historian would be able to give better info than I can, but I am reminded of the fact that the Tokyo bombings killed more people than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings combined. Major powers already had the capacity to create massive collateral damage, especially in densely populated areas like Tokyo and Gaza. Nuclear weapons have improved since WWII, and regular weapons have also improved to reduce collateral damage.
    Not mention the 2 a bombing did NOTHING to cause japan's surrender (because of the fir bombings of cities) the russian invading manchuria and that one island did that

mine would have to be the V-1 and a V-2 missles because without them and the german rocket scientists that saturn family and apollo 11 and from there that knowledge gave us the shuttle and the ability to do Hubble not to mention all the cool inventions NASA has made that people use today
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that actually. Soviet Union were going into towards Japanese territories nearby which did freak them out a lot.

"The Purest Excitement" AbareKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvelous View Post

Yeah a lot of people don't realize that actually. Soviet Union were going into towards Japanese territories nearby which did freak them out a lot.
    and the reason for the freak out was because they moved most of there troops from Manchuria and a few other places to japan in anticipation for operation downfall and as result was basically defenseless in the north and i think is among the best ones done on this topic CLICK HERE its by foreignpolicy.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12