Deadly Poison Found in Mail to U.S. Senator

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jabberwocky

Thread: Deadly Poison Found in Mail to U.S. Senator

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Deadly Poison Found in Mail to U.S. Senator

Report: Envelope Sent to Mississippi Senator Tested Positive for Deadly Poison | TheBlaze.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Blaze
    An envelope sent to Mississippi Republican Sen. Roger Wicker tested positive for the deadly poison ricin, according to multiple media reports.

The envelope was intercepted Tuesday afternoon at an off-site Senate mail facility in Washington, CNN reported. It first tested positive in a routine test, and again in two followup tests. It was then sent to a Maryland lab for further testing.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and FBI Director Robert Mueller told senators about the envelope during a briefing about another matter, Politico reported. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) said the letter came from someone who frequently writes to lawmakers, and that a suspect had been identified.

Ricin is a highly toxic substance derived from castor beans and can come in the form of a powder, mist or pellet, ​according to the Centers for Disease Control. There is no antidote, and exposure to it can cause death within 36 to 72 hours.
    Senator Roger Wicker was mailed an envelope that tested for Ricin, a very deadly poisonous substance.

The fact that this happened shortly after the Boston terror attack happened shortly before is likely coincidental, but it makes one wonder if it is connected.

EDIT: More details are available from multiple sources. I now feel comfortable posting an article.
    Last edited by Lord Naarghul; 16th April 2013 at 06:16 PM.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Deadly Poison Found in Mail to U.S. Senator

Hmm, a laced letter sent to a Gun loving R senetor? i wonder if that suspect has written FOR gun controll because things do seem a bit odd...

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Senator Roger Wicker isn't the only political person who got a poisonous letter. Apparently, President Barack Obama himself got one as well!

US intercepts 'ricin' letter to Obama - BBC
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Brings me back to the anthrax attacks back in '01. Scary stuff.

Blog Entries

Am I the only one curious about what was actually written in these letters? I don't think the public ever got to see the anthrax letters, I'm wondering if we'll see these. Might offer a glimpse into a motive or ideology.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Am I the only one curious about what was actually written in these letters? I don't think the public ever got to see the anthrax letters, I'm wondering if we'll see these. Might offer a glimpse into a motive or ideology.
    in this case...

The letters read: "To see a wrong and not expose it, is to become a silent partner to its continuance," according to US media citing intelligence sources.

They were reportedly signed: "I am KC and I approve this message."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    At least some of the anthrax letters were revealed to the public.

Dragonborn Sorcerer Lord Naarghul's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A couple of new developments.

Suspect in ricin letter case released on bond - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Quote Originally Posted by The Hill
    The suspect charged with sending letters laced with the poison ricin to President Obama and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) was released from custody on bond Tuesdasy after authorities failed to turn up evidence of the poison in a search of his home.

Paul Kevin Curtis was released after authorities canceled his latest hearing, which had been scheduled for today.

There was no initial explanation for the release, but federal officials and Curtis's defense attorney plan to speak at a press conference at 5 p.m. CDT, according to The Associated Press.

Authorities failed to find any trace of the ricin poison at Curtis's home during searches after he was charged with sending the letters.

A search of Curtis's home in Corinth, Miss., found no trace of ricin, and searches of his car and his ex-wife's home also came up empty.

"There was no apparent ricin, castor beans or any material there that could be used for the manufacturing, like a blender or something," FBI Agent Brandon Grant told The Associated Press.

Ricin is a poisonous substance made from crushed castor beans that is deadly to humans, even in tiny amounts.

U.S. Marshal Jeff Woodfin said Curtis had been released on bond.

Curtis has denied sending the letters, which were postmarked on April 8 and sent from Memphis, Tenn. The letters were signed, "I am KC and I approve this message." Curtis allegedly used that phrase in writing about conspiracies. He referred to himself as KC on his Facebook page.

Curtis's attorney has suggested someone else sent the letters.

Among the exhibits submitted for Curtis's case are a letter for the Social Security Administration and "mental papers" filed in Prentiss County, Miss., according to court records.

Letters to Obama and Wicker showed traces of the poison. The letters were intercepted before they reached the intended recipients but not before putting the Capitol on edge resulting in increased security.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said Tuesday that he didn't know whether the president had been briefed on Curtis's release, referring questions to the FBI.
    Reid: Ricin incident at Bolling Air Force base - The Hill

Quote Originally Posted by The Hill
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) told reporters Tuesday that there has been another ricin incident at Bolling Air Force base in Southeast Washington, D.C.

“We’ve had another incident today I’m told at Bolling Air Force base. Same substance,” said Reid.

Reid divulged the information after law enforcement authorities released Paul Kevin Curtis, who had been arrested with mailing ricin-laced letters to President Obama and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.).

“I was told that they’re going to release this man. He of course claims he was framed so we’ll see,” said Reid.

Reid said he did not have any other information related to Curtis’s release.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said he did not know why Curtis was released.

Authorities failed to find any trace of the ricin poison at Curtis's home during searches after he was charged with sending the letters.
    The accused man has been released, and more poison has appeared at the nearby Air Force base.
    In one fleeting moment from the land doth life flow...

in the same fleeting moment, thou must live, die and know...

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Gods, people are stupid sometimes. Yes, the government has not been doing its job as well as it should be, but that's no excuse to try committing murder. Plus, Obama has the right ideas, he just needs to figure out how to properly carry them out and stop giving so much money to the unemployed (not counting disabled peeps).

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At first I was kind of writing off Curtis blaming someone framing him as, well, you know crazy talk given that he basically runs a website dedicated to showing how he's part of some huge government conspiracy involving body parts and such, but I just saw the new suspect who they're suspecting might have framed Curtis...

Dude looks like every slimy 80s movie villain ever.

This is not Dutschke’s first brush with the law. Earlier this year, Dutschke, who operates a taekwondo studio in Tupelo, Miss., was charged with one count of child molestation for a case involving a 7-year-old female. He was then released on bond. TPM attempted to speak with his attorney in that case, Lori Nail Basham, but her office said she was in court and unavailable to speak with us. Basham’s office would not comment about whether she was representing Dutschke in the ricin investigation.

We also contacted the Tupelo Police Department to inquire about Dutschke and were referred to the FBI. Neither the FBI or the Lee County Sheriff have responded to requests for comment. McCoy has also not responded to a request for comment. In an interview with CNN Tuesday, McCoy said the case against Curtis had not yet been dismissed but she was confident he is “100 percent” innocent and “absolutely” certain he had been framed.

Dutschke had many interests in addition to taekwondo. In 2007, he ran for a seat in Mississippi’s House of Representatives as a Republican. He lost to incumbent Democrat Daniel Holland.

Along with President Obama, ricin-tainted letters were sent to a local judge named Sadie Holland and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS). Judge Holland is the mother of the man who defeated Dutschke in his 2007 campaign.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tendou Soujirou View Post
    Plus he's got child molestation charges against him too.
    Which isn't exactly relevant to this particular crime.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Regardless, dude strikes me as the type of slime-ball who'd frame a poor dude with a legitimate mental illness.