Curiosity finds history book worthy Mars discovery? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curiosity finds history book worthy Mars discovery?

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Curiosity finds history book worthy Mars discovery?

Since they didn't say it was related to finding life, I'm still going to keep my mind open on what it could be. I would've liked it better I had just found this when they said it though...
    Oh?

They can be the future ancestors of new creatures! (Pokémon!) Or... well, at least some kind of "life" at the best, but it can be just an encounter of water (yeah, where is water, the life we knows can arise, but that's not a confirmation). I'm expecting something good (maybe it's not water, but it can be a new class of materia, or any other awesome thing like that).

Blog Entries
    Follow hurristat On Twitter
    Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Nyara♥ View Post
    They can be the future ancestors of new creatures! (Pokémon!) Or... well, at least some kind of "life" at the best, but it can be just an encounter of water (yeah, where is water, the life we knows can arise, but that's not a confirmation). I'm expecting something good (maybe it's not water, but it can be a new class of materia, or any other awesome thing like that).
    Water is already known to exist on mars; Mars has polar ice caps. Similarly, I doubt new chemicals will be found: our understanding of basic chemistry and common elements and molecules is comprehensive enough that I doubt something new will pop up.

In the same vein, I doubt that we'll ever find life on Mars. What I do think, however, is that we will find historical evidence for the conditions under which life could form. We could find amino acids, for example.

content reblog tumblr | dumb reblog tumblr | if youre able to figure out like seven or eight of these characters than we are going to be friends.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It says it's for history books, not something that would reshape biology (as life would); so it's a finding of "archeological" value.

What it might be, I have no idea. The most to hope probably is proof of former life, I guess.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    It says it's for history books, not something that would reshape biology (as life would); so it's a finding of "archeological" value.

What it might be, I have no idea. The most to hope probably is proof of former life, I guess.
    I doubt it was a literal statement, but an indication of the finding's gravity. Nobody ever calls something "one for the biology books."

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Neil Armstrong's foot on the moon was "One for the history books" too. And yet it wasn't old history per se.

That said, NASA PR is now in downplaying mode, trying to get the rumor cat back in the bag, and claiming "They're just really excited about the mission, we have no pplan to reveal anything specific, it's the whole mission that's going to be historical".

It SOUNDS like damage control to avoid an early leak doing too much damage if it proves false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

"The Purest Excitement" AbareKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Despite what most people belive curiosity doesn't have the ability to discover life at all except by it photo and video cameras because the sensors on it a designed to look for the trace elements that COULD have made up life like carbon and oxygen on the ground and in rocks in past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post
    Despite what most people belive curiosity doesn't have the ability to discover life at all except by it photo and video cameras because the sensors on it a designed to look for the trace elements that COULD have made up life like carbon and oxygen on the ground and in rocks in past.
    Was just about to say that :(

If I had to take a guess at what they found it would just be complex organic materials of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Now I'm curious whatever happened to life on Mars that made it lifeless, and will the same thing happen to our planet.
    As for why Mars no longer is able to support life, mainly it has to do with the size and composition of it. If I remember correctly, Mars' core isn't composed as well for long term convection as well as the earth, combined with Mars' smaller size means that its core stopped convection and the Dynamo effect ended, causing the martian magnetosphere to stop being formed. This caused the solar wind to strip away most of Mars' atmosphere and blanket the surface in solar radiation.
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Mars doesn't have suitable conditions right now for life. However, if any microscopic organisms found are living off without oxygen, it'll be surprising. Oxygen, in fact, DOES exist on Mars. So does liquid water. Both are frozen in the ice caps. Mars has valleys and what not? Yes, Mars MUST have had life. Even for a short period of time. I don't think Curiosity found life, I think it found traces of life or maybe even fossils.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuness View Post
    As for why Mars no longer is able to support life, mainly it has to do with the size and composition of it. If I remember correctly, Mars' core isn't composed as well for long term convection as well as the earth, combined with Mars' smaller size means that its core stopped convection and the Dynamo effect ended, causing the martian magnetosphere to stop being formed. This caused the solar wind to strip away most of Mars' atmosphere and blanket the surface in solar radiation.
    I couldn't have explained better than this. The only way to 'Terraform' Mars would be to constantly heat up the poles- But even if Mars becomes like Earth, at one time or another it will return to it's present state. Solar wind is bad.

Hello.

Apparently Curiosity may have found organic compounds on Mars.

But I thought NASA was useless without the Space Shuttle Program!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12