Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

I've heard stories about the Chinese building stuff this quickly in the past. Pretty impressive.

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You see? Playing with Legos has its benefits.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteryno. View Post
    The Chinese have also had a very large number of engineering successes. Why should we jump to the conclusion that this will be a failure just because it didn't take very long?
    Because it's China and we're all xenophobic racists.

In terms of structural integrity, the math on such a building is probably correct. While I'm not too experience with pre-fab construction (only worked with it twice), just the process behind what goes into building each part that is used in the final product makes it much safer in terms of structure. However, the Chinese do like to cut lots of corners and safety is a foreign concept to their construction companies, so who knows how badly they've screwed up. Even the pre-fab parts could be done incorrectly.

Personally I'm going to remain cynical, but fascinated. Cynical in that I don't believe it'll stand the test of time and fascinated in that I really need to push myself harder, since they (seem to) get work done in 1/10th of the time I do.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Damn, that's roughly two stories a day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteryno. View Post
    The Chinese have also had a very large number of engineering successes. Why should we jump to the conclusion that this will be a failure just because it didn't take very long?
    Because it's China and we're all xenophobic racists.

In terms of structural integrity, the math on such a building is probably correct. While I'm not too experience with pre-fab construction (only worked with it twice), just the process behind what goes into building each part that is used in the final product makes it much safer in terms of structure. However, the Chinese do like to cut lots of corners and safety is a foreign concept to their construction companies, so who knows how badly they've screwed up. Even the pre-fab parts could be done incorrectly.

Personally I'm going to remain cynical, but fascinated. Cynical in that I don't believe it'll stand the test of time and fascinated in that I really need to push myself harder, since they (seem to) get work done in 1/10th of the time I do.
    Well if it was pre-constructed, then I have no doubt that, if the pre-constructed parts were made correctly, that the building will stand the test of time. The concern is that it's not likely they were made properly and/or time was taken to examine the pieces.

Blog Entries

So, it's certainly earthquake resistant, but the jury is still out on Creeper Blast Resistance, and with those one block thick walls I'm skeptical of its survivability.

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12