Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

Default Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

Builders in China completed a 170,000 square foot, 30-story prefabricated hotel in just 15 days, ending on New Year’s Eve – and posted a time-lapse video (above) to show off their impressive feat, the Huffington Post reports.

Construction workers bolted together the new hotel, in Dongting Lake in Hunan province, from pre-made modules put together in a factory and then placed them on steel structures at the construction site, according to the International Business Times. It can reportedly withstand an 9.0-magnitude earthquake.

“It completely changes the way buildings are constructed and, I believe, is about to change the entire industry,” architect Lloyd Alter wrote on the blog Treehugger.

The Chinese company behind the speedy process, Broad Sustainable Building Corporation, has some former success with building quickly. Once the world’s largest producer of air conditioning equipment, it previously built the 15-story Ark Hotel in Changsha, China, in just six days.

The implications of the latest project seemingly go beyond simply adding to the Dongting skyline in a speedy fashion. “Construction is just about the only industry that has not been exported,” Alter explained. “But now the Broad Sustainable Building Corporation has designed a system that will let them build anywhere, to construction tolerances of +/- 0.2 mm.”

Which likely means American hotels will soon be added to the growing list of things that come with a “made in China” stamp.
    Source

Youtube video

I think this is really cool! It should be set to the Phineas and Ferb building construction music IMO. =P
    TheMissingno. likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chinese Builders Construct 30-Story Hotel — In 15 Days

It's pretty simple to put the pieces together. What they don't say is how long it took to create the parts used in each of the prefabricated structures. If this were built through conventional building techniques (which to be fair, are horribly outdated), this would have been a much longer project. Doesn't help that they had drone crews working 24/7, that shit wouldn't fly in America. :P

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    It's pretty simple to put the pieces together. What they don't say is how long it took to create the parts used in each of the prefabricated structures. If this were built through conventional building techniques (which to be fair, are horribly outdated), this would have been a much longer project. Doesn't help that they had drone crews working 24/7, that shit wouldn't fly in America. :P
    Simple is a relative term. =P Few construction companies take advantage of simple pre-made parts when building. It's not mentioned in the Time's article, but others have mentioned that they worked until 10 p.m. each night. Then picked up again in the morning.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

If a building was finished in 15 days, I expect that it won't last long.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    If a building was finished in 15 days, I expect that it won't last long.
    On what basis are you saying that? an article here (and one in my local newspaper as well) says that it can infact survive an earthquake of richter scale 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    On what basis are you saying that? an article here (and one in my local newspaper as well) says that it can infact survive an earthquake of richter scale 9.
    If a tall building was rushed, it'll most likely crumble into dust if you're not careful on putting too much weight on the accessories inside. It's called bad construction.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If a tall building was rushed, it'll most likely crumble into dust if you're not careful on putting too much weight on the accessories inside. It's called bad construction.
    uh, these guys are not playing legos, you know? We are talking about trained civil engineers who know what they are doing. Give them some credit for their achievement.9.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Prefabricated parts are a common industry move to save time and money. It's widely used by car, computer, and airline companies. The construction industry has done little to embrace it. The building wasn't rushed really, the order was made, the parts were made and shipped and then put together. If anything the building is more sound as the parts come to specifications easily due to the manufacturing process.
    Iteru likes this.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm... interesting. Not to sound like a hippie tree-hugger, but I'm just worried this will lead to rapid urbanization.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

I know that it has been established that it can withstand an earthquake, but I still wouldn't trust it. I don't really think I could trust them just saying "Oh, it'll be fine!".....

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    I know that it has been established that it can withstand an earthquake, but I still wouldn't trust it. I don't really think I could trust them just saying "Oh, it'll be fine!".....
    I'm pretty sure they've at least done a little bit of math to back up their claim, rather then just saying "Oh, it'll be fine."
    That's nice.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

True, true.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

After previous examples of Chinese "engineering", I think healthy skepticism about their claims is well warranted. Let us not forget the "Leaning Tower of Zhejiang", or the buildings which completely ripped free from their inadequate foundations.

Putting up maybe the frame alone could have been believable, but suggesting that within only 15 days they did this fully to spec, with all fittings, wiring, concrete (which wouldn't even have fully cured within the time period!), actually getting the foundations properly done, etc.....yeah, they're either bullshitting on the time or it's just unsafe.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    suggesting that within only 15 days they did this fully to spec, with all fittings, wiring, concrete (which wouldn't even have fully cured within the time period!)
    Ah, yes... the concrete is a good point.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    After previous examples of Chinese "engineering", I think healthy skepticism about their claims is well warranted. Let us not forget the "Leaning Tower of Zhejiang", or the buildings which completely ripped free from their inadequate foundations.

Putting up maybe the frame alone could have been believable, but suggesting that within only 15 days they did this fully to spec, with all fittings, wiring, concrete (which wouldn't even have fully cured within the time period!), actually getting the foundations properly done, etc.....yeah, they're either bullshitting on the time or it's just unsafe.
    The Chinese have also had a very large number of engineering successes. Why should we jump to the conclusion that this will be a failure just because it didn't take very long?
    That's nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast