SCIENCE: China lands robot lunar rover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: China lands robot lunar rover

Blog Entries

Follow Markos on Tumblr Visit Markos's Youtube Channel

Default China lands robot lunar rover

BBC News - China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

China has successfully landed a rover on the moon named "Jade Rabbit". What are your thoughts? How do you think China will continue its space program?

Claims: Ferrothorn, PokéGear, Nanab Berry, Megahorn, Dry Skin, Caesar, Morgan Black

gone.
    Blog Entries

Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

Default Re: China lands robot lunar rover

Just for the hype of my country, the UK and china have made a deal to send british robots to space aboard chinese shuttles.

Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

Blog Entries

This makes me mad. Why the fuck did the stop the space shuttle program? Now China is going to get ahead. Way to go US Government!

Y > X

gone.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    This makes me mad. Why the fuck did the stop the space shuttle program? Now China is going to get ahead. Way to go US Government!
    Your country is in a lot or debt at the moment, it costs about $1billion to send a shuttle into space. And ftom what I read NASA wasn't discovering much. Wasting money really.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masta apex View Post
    Your country is in a lot or debt at the moment, it costs about $1billion to send a shuttle into space. And ftom what I read NASA wasn't discovering much. Wasting money really.
    NASA is very cheap compared to other crap that the Government spends money on. Cut some useless things and focus of important stuff like the Space program.

Y > X

Blog Entries

Follow Markos on Tumblr Visit Markos's Youtube Channel

I wouldn't call you guys having landed people on the moon and four rovers on another planet (two of which still active) "China getting ahead".

Claims: Ferrothorn, PokéGear, Nanab Berry, Megahorn, Dry Skin, Caesar, Morgan Black

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

"Get ahead?" Dude, the space race is over. It's not a contest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    "Get ahead?" Dude, the space race is over. It's not a contest.
    Not one person understood what I meant. It has nothing to do with a contest. It makes no sense even trying to explain. Yay for China!

Y > X

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Probably because the space shuttle program was inefficient from the start and probably should have been canceled a long time ago.

I think that China's efforts are to be commended and I hope that they continue to advance their space program. They want a man on the moon by 2020, and I believe they can accomplish that. It will also give the American government a good incentive to try to expand our frontier in space.
    That's nice.

gone.
    Blog Entries

Yes congratulations china! There hasn't been a rover on the moon since 1974! We havnt forgot about you moon!
    Last edited by Lord Apex; 29th January 2014 at 01:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Apex View Post

its was roughly 450 million a mission but the point remains I also doubt the SLS and orion will ever fly either as both are grossly over budget and mismanaged also the fact that the sls is expected cost 300 million + per mission also i think the days of NASA human space flight are over and in way that may be for the best as probes, satellites, rovers and space telescopes are usually a better value for the price
    Last edited by Zen-Aku; 29th January 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm interested to see how much (if any at all) this pushes American/British/Japanese/Swiss/other governments to fund space exploration, specifically in the Alcubierre drive department, relating to the Higgs field and stuff. Even 10%c is still a crazy speed.

As much as I shudder to think of it, corporations might have an upper hand in America. NASA gave us so many incredible inventions, from suits for firemen androbotic arms to simple things like LED lights and modern smoke detectors. (While some will point out that NASA didn't invent them, they were the ones who encountered the necessity for such an item, and funded the development of such technologies, which were later applied to other areas.) Yet, the budget for NASA keeps getting slashed in favor of retaining a massive military budget. (A bit of perspective, the US military receives a total of $550 billion in funding, as of this year's fiscal plan. NASA gets $17.3 million, in comparison.

Gee, I wonder how NASA doesn't get anything done with the amount of money it has.

Wow, I got sidetracked. Anyways. I'm really hopeful for future space travel. Really hopeful. The challenges are there, but people fail to see that every one of these challenges will directly aid the public, should we surpass them.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    I'm interested to see how much (if any at all) this pushes American/British/Japanese/Swiss/other governments to fund space exploration, specifically in the Alcubierre drive department, relating to the Higgs field and stuff. Even 10%c is still a crazy speed.

As much as I shudder to think of it, corporations might have an upper hand in America. NASA gave us so many incredible inventions, from suits for firemen androbotic arms to simple things like LED lights and modern smoke detectors. (While some will point out that NASA didn't invent them, they were the ones who encountered the necessity for such an item, and funded the development of such technologies, which were later applied to other areas.) Yet, the budget for NASA keeps getting slashed in favor of retaining a massive military budget. (A bit of perspective, the US military receives a total of $550 billion in funding, as of this year's fiscal plan. NASA gets $17.3 million, in comparison.

Gee, I wonder how NASA doesn't get anything done with the amount of money it has.

Wow, I got sidetracked. Anyways. I'm really hopeful for future space travel. Really hopeful. The challenges are there, but people fail to see that every one of these challenges will directly aid the public, should we surpass them.
    Its 17.3 BILLION actually not million. And you corporation argument is true however i think its should be noted that that without those same military contractors that get the defense budget Project Apollo would have never happened as NASA used them . Although it should be noted that the SLS is nothing but Pork spending as the law creating the rocket made it so they only could use certain contractors and not open bidding like Apollo did.

Blog Entries

@Solrock;

I admit that I misread the budget, you're correct in stating that NASA's budget is roughly $17.3 billion. While your point is valid that they were once one and the same, the budgets now are completely different and not shared. They no longer have the money or the capabilities/authority (as you pointed out) to run their contractors through the test of the free market. This is a severe blow and pretty much a monopolization, keeping prices up when they should be going down. This would have allowed NASA to use their funding as they pleased, and would have dramatically decreased the cost of a space mission.

But now, that can't happen. NASA's been set up to fail, so we may have to rely on foreign countries or corporations to send things into orbit. And if you think that others won't try to tap the vast riches of ore and rare compounds, you're sorely mistaken. We'll be the ones missing out.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    @Solrock;

I admit that I misread the budget, you're correct in stating that NASA's budget is roughly $17.3 billion. While your point is valid that they were once one and the same, the budgets now are completely different and not shared. They no longer have the money or the capabilities/authority (as you pointed out) to run their contractors through the test of the free market. This is a severe blow and pretty much a monopolization, keeping prices up when they should be going down. This would have allowed NASA to use their funding as they pleased, and would have dramatically decreased the cost of a space mission.

But now, that can't happen. NASA's been set up to fail, so we may have to rely on foreign countries or corporations to send things into orbit. And if you think that others won't try to tap the vast riches of ore and rare compounds, you're sorely mistaken. We'll be the ones missing out.

The budgets were never shared actually but the did use military contractors all the time back in the day .
    Have you seen the documentary series MOON MACHINES as it tells how they designed everything for the Apollo missions

and stuff like spaceX would always be cheaper than nasa in that department of going into earth orbit but going to deep space or the moon that could be a different story if nasa opened up the bidding on certain stuff like the SLS and orion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast